PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Neighbour threatening my cat - advice please?

Options
Hi all,

I came home one day this week and was walking from the parking area to my house when a neighbour came out of her house and called me over. She told me that I needed to do something about my cat who had been seen killing a bird that day, which had upset a number of neighbours. She claimed she wasn't threatening me but said her OH was very angry and that she didn't know what he may do, and that if it continued my cat may "disappear".

I was very upset by this, I'm not sure how my cat behaving instinctively can be helped, or how it makes it better for the cat to be harmed or whatever the "disappearance" means. I went out that night and got her a collar with a bell but I'm stuck for anything else I can do.

As the neighbours concerned are council tenants I called the council and discussed it with the officer for the area. She said that what was said to me was not acceptable and that she would go and see my neighbours this week to speak to them about it.

At first I thought this was good but now I'm concerned that there may be some retaliation afterwards, just wanted other people's opinions if possible please :)

Comments

• Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    I think that the neighbour rather reacted in the heat of the moment and has probably calmed down now.

This cannot be the first instance of a cat killing a bird in your neighbourhood - it was probably just the public nature of it that freaked some of the neighbours out.

You have to understand that your upset and outrage at the mere idea that your cat might be harmed is exactly the same upset and outrage that bird lovers have when seeing a bird mauled to death by a cat. There is no right or wrong view on this issue - it is just the way it is. :confused:

You've done the right thing by putting a bell on the cat's collar - hopefully that will curtail the cat's killing spree to an extent.

However, I also think you overreacted as well. I would be really tempted to call the council back and say that a visit to the neighbours will not be necessary. You really don't want to alienate your neighbours (and you can be sure they'll tell everyone in the street about the cat carnage and how your reaction to it is to report THEM to the council).

Can you try to speak to the neighbours tomorrow, apologise for the cat butchery and ask if they have any further suggestions about how to curtail the cat?

It really is not worth falling out over.

On a practical level - if you own your own home and want to try to sell it in the future, then you will have to disclose that there is an official record of council involvement in threats to your pet by said neighbour. How far do you think prospective buyers are going to run when they hear that?
  • Geenie
    Geenie Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    I think that neighbours should not have to put up with your pets fouling their garden. As tough as this sounds, your choice should not impact on neighbours. I have experienced digging in my garden to find cat sh*te on my hands, and it is not nice. Especially when babies and toddlers around. That said, I don't agree or think it is anyway legal to have the death threats against pets. It is the owners who have to be responsible and not get them if the environment is unsuitable.

"Life is difficult. Life is a series of problems. What makes life difficult is that the process of confronting and solving problems is a painful one." M Scott Peck. The Road Less Travelled.
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    I second the other posters personally.

On the other note, I wouldn't get the council involved right now. Retaliation is unpleasant. Just treat it with the understanding that the other person was enraged at the time.
  • DaisyClaire
    Options
    But thats what cats do! Blinking heck!

Personally I know what I would tell her and its not acceptable for me to type on here..
  • temba
    temba Posts: 320 Forumite
    Options
    But thats what cats do! Blinking heck!

Personally I know what I would tell her and its not acceptable for me to type on here..

but you did ask for other opinions...:confused:
    [SIZE=-4]MF date: Dec [STRIKE]2028[/STRIKE] 2019. Overpayments in 2007=£900, 2008=£1200 2009=23400[/SIZE]
  • eco-friendly_2
    Options
    Hmmm, NO!

Read the thread again ;)
  • valk_scot
    valk_scot Posts: 5,290 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's not illegal to let your cat out and for it to kill birds, unless the bird is a rare protected species.

It is illegal for your neighbour to harm or damage your property (ie the cat) and to deliberately inflict pain, suffering, injury or death on it.

Personally I don't think it's on to make threats to you about harming your cat. !!!!!! the council...I'd have been onto the police and asked for a visit from the local community policeman to explain to this person what he is and is not allowed to do. Then it would have been police logged that he's threatened your cat.
    Val.
  • emmielou
    emmielou Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ah, that is awful! I've got two cats and if anyone said anything like that I would go mental!! It must be very worrying for you.

Unfortunately its their nature so the only thing you can do is get a collar with a bell, if you are really worried keep kitty in, I know he/she won't be happy but at least you know they are safe.

Alternatively, cats don't like citrus, perhaps try putting some oil around ther house and they will keep away????:confused:

I can see both sides. The OH didn't like cats untill he met me and the cats, now he is cat mad!! But his dad really doesn't like them because of gardening (but i'm still hoping to bring him round!).

Your neighbours, no matter what, should not have behaved that way towards you. Its threatenig behaviour and not nice.

And for all cat haters out there, I appreciate your concerns but the fact of the matter is it is their nature and we as humans have messed up nature and caused alot worse. So let the fluffy ones be!:p

I'd like to string the owner of my little princess up for treating her so badly as a kitten she is terrified of any humans except myself and my partner. Unfortunately if I put spikes out for them Mr policeman would be havig a word...or twenty...and by the way. She only goes in my garden, she's too scared to go any further, I wear gardening gloves and wash my hands.
  • Running_Horse
    Running_Horse Posts: 11,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Despite having a cat I can understand the frustration of others, and feel guilty at the anger he causes neighbours. He digs up any newly planted flower beds, which is heartbreaking for my 2 year old who loves nothing more than to help daddy in the garden. He was a rescue cat and is very old now, so that and the sick, and pee and pooh are just something to be tolerated for another couple of years. I will miss him when he goes, but he is a cat, not a human, and I would never get another. The only plus side is he keeps the mice population down in the house (we are in the country). Have you thought about a collar bell to warn the birds of his approach?
    Been away for a while.
  • mouseymousey99
    mouseymousey99 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    So you show your child that because he is old and sick your poor cat is to be 'tolreated' - mmmm well good you won't be rehoming another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport