We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

sunday market/ car boot sale

Options

Comments

• iyiarz
    iyiarz Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Sully was closed last weekend (02/07/06) Not sure if this was due to the weather? Can anyone clarify? This weekend is suposed to be nice so would like to go down there.We'd loaded up the car so ended up down Bessemer Road. Not a nice place and it was an awful day (weather).
  • welshclaire
    Options
    There is a fab boot sale at Gelligaer on a Sunday April to September from 8am onwards sellers 7am £5 entrance fee refreshment stands toilets (not the best but ok if you are desperate:confused: ) in 2 huge fields easily 150 stalls on a sunny day.

There are 2 bouncy castles for the kids a meat van a veg van and a couple of other stall/ traders.

It's fairly easy to get too heading from Cardiff towards Ystrad Mynach, from the Cedar Tree Roundabout, Caerphilly, take the bypass over 3 roundabouts head towards Bargoed under viaduct bridge, follow the road until you get to large set of traffic lights just before lights take the last left towards Gelligaer under a rail bridge uphill keep going until you see a big green sign saying welcome to Gelligaer, keep following the road until you get to the top of the hill there is a turning right with a small pub and its in the fields to your left (total time from Cedar Tree Roundabout approx 15 mins), almost always a que so just follow the cars. Well worth the drive.

Alternatively you can head towards Bargoed same route but when you get to a roundabout signposted Hengoed take that turning all uphill giveways keep going following road mini roundabout straight over traffic lights left and follow road untill Gelligaer sign same road and as above.

Sorry if my directions are a bit poor but if you get to Gelligaer just ask it's not a big place and it's just off the main through road literally but you can't see it from the road due to hedges. If I remember I will try and get the street name and perhaps the pub name and post it here.

Great for buyers and seller, dont go to Splott there is too many traders and people literally getting into your cars before you've got out and not many cars same sellers every week.

I used to buy and sell at Splott, and although I made money and had the odd bargain, the atmosphere was too mad and people were pushy. But, at Gelligaer people are very relaxed there are so many seller and buyers, it takes a good 2 1/2 hours to walk around the fields on a sunny day and there are plenty of bargain's and sales to be had.

Im there every Sunday buying and there are always new faces and fresh bargains, only twice I sold there and made well over £90 each time on my old junk and still went home with a car full of stuff !!!

Quick tip ~ get there early to sell as there are que's for people selling to get in but many people arrive after 9am as people are still arriving to buy at 1pm.

p.s Bring your tea/ coffee in a flask and go to the loo before you leave home, the toilets are not very nice (only downside)

Hope to see you all there!!!:rotfl:
  • bleugh
    bleugh Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    Options
    Streaker36 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me of any car boot sales closer to Cwmbran or Newport please, I don't mind travelling, but if I could find a good one closer to these areas that would be great

there are loads

fairwater comp school, cwmbran -7am
    the school oposite homebase in town, saturdays 7-8am
    circus fields - croesy, cwmbran , by the crematorium 12 for sellers, 2 for buyers
    cattle market - newport, 6-7am start
    bessemer road - cardiff - sat and sun 8am start
    splott market - cardiff - sat,, 6-7am start

there are more also but they're smaller
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • Deedee73
    Deedee73 Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Woooo Hoooo, Did a boot today at Stormy Down, near Porthcawl, thought I wouldn't do that well as I'd been told they are all tight!!! (people after my own heart lol ) any hoo, got there about 7am, loads of boots already there and a steady stream of customers. Took some advice and locked the car and went for a coffee and a bacon roll (oink oink) just so I didn't get the "Hyjackers" in my car as I was unloading.

Stall was loaded with daughters old toys, clothes and various "To do" bits n' bobs, Trecco Bay is close by so I figured there must be loads of bored kids who are great naggers going!

Got there at 7:00 am, set up 7:20 ish, packed up @ 12:30 (desperate 4 a p, dodgy green portacabin for toilet so didn't want to risk it!)

PROFIT £160:57

They handed out leaflets while we were there, they are doing 2 over the August bank holiday, one on the Sunday, one on the Monday £8 per car!
    Sig ah Sig Ahhh
  • Rachie_B
    Rachie_B Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    excellent well done :)

anyone know about the others in porthcawl / pyle ?

when is the one at rest bay ? is it the first sunday of the month ???

and i heard there is one in pyle ? whereabouts is it and when please ? :)
  • busdriver799
    Options
    splott car boot sale is open on thurs and sat mornings with the sunday market.the boot sale is open from about 6am till aroun 2pm,if you need any help with computers and advice look out for a stall called the stall for all 2nd user products and free advice, or go to https://www.thestall.co.uk for more info:T :A :eek: :D
  • Nik_Boot
    Options
    i am staying in rhoose and i was wondering if i could have directions to the Sully car boot please, or any that are near. Many thanks.
  • mollyjak
    mollyjak Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    the Rest car boot is on this weekend according to the signs which are up.

They have been doing the first and third Sundays during the summer months.

The Pyle one is in the Co-op but there were only 6 cars there when we went although that was 3 months ago.

Also a car boot in the hospital in Port Talbot / Aberavon on a Sunday which we thought was good.
  • Ms-Money-Penny
    Options
    There's an undercover car boot sale in Cheapside , Bridgend every Sunday.
    Its held in the multi-storey car park opposite Bridgend Police Station starts about 9am.
  • gems_smile
    Options
    Where would the best place to sell books,some china and other antiques?Heard negative things about splott so i wouldn't really want to go there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure