West Bromwich new fixed rate

Options
Am about to apply for this,decent rate at [EMAIL="4.30@%"]4.30%[/EMAIL] for one year,has to rate as one of the best at the moment.Need minimum £5k.

Couldn't see it advertised anywhere so thought i'd give you all a "heads up" as they say!!

http://www.westbrom.co.uk/westbrom/savings.category?id=1

Comments

• silentfox
    silentfox Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    here is why
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e30e0940-29f7-11de-9d01-00144feabdc0.html

wouldn't surprise me if they move higher still. But still worth it.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Better news for personal depositors however - as long as the FSCS seems likely to hold up. I can understand why wholesale depositors are nervous - they aren't covered.. Surely any failure of mutuals from now on will be a gradual affair - assuming the worst pans out (which it may not)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • Scooby64
    Scooby64 Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just completed the forms too, but why isn't it on ANY of the comparison sites - it's the best on the market.

When I seem to have found something that no-one else knows about I start wondering how hard it would be to register a domain westbrom.co.uk and rent a PO box for all the cheques coming in through the post.

12 months until maturitu gives me quite a while to make a getaway....:eek::rolleyes:
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Scooby64 wrote: »
    but why isn't it on ANY of the comparison sites

Not true - both the e bond 21 and e bond 20 are listed at positions 3 and 4 respectively on the moneysupermarket.com comparision which I got following the link from here on the MSE fixed rate savings guide

The West Brom accounts are beaten only by accounts at a 5 year fix, so in reality for a "1 year" fix their e bond 21 is number 1. BUT note the West Brom accounts are not 1 or 2 year fixes, both are fixed to mature on 31st May next year (2010) or the year after (2011) respectively so if you act now that's a 13 or 25 month fix (depending on how quick they are at opening the account of course)

Their website also lists them as limited offer on first come first served basis ...
  • Hungerdunger
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    BUT note the West Brom accounts are not 1 or 2 year fixes, both are fixed to mature on 31st May next year (2010) or the year after (2011) respectively so if you act now that's a 13 or 25 month fix (depending on how quick they are at opening the account of course)
    That's a good point. I did a search for a one year fix on the FSA site, and the West Brom didn't appear. Change the criterion to 3 years and it's at the top of the list.
    "The trouble with quotations on the Internet is that you never know whether they are genuine" - Charles Dickens
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is the West Brom owned by one of the big financial institutions like Halifax or RBS for instance or is it a stand-alone outfit? Sorry if this sounds a bit muddled - I know what I mean but can't find the right words to say what I want!!
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Froglet wrote: »
    Couldn't see it advertised anywhere so thought i'd give you all a "heads up" as they say!!

Comes up on the Moneysupermarket fixed rate list ... just that they don't have a direct link o the West Brom site :-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=20704513&postcount=6
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soba wrote: »
    Is the West Brom owned by one of the big financial institutions like Halifax or RBS for instance or is it a stand-alone outfit? Sorry if this sounds a bit muddled - I know what I mean but can't find the right words to say what I want!!

Don't worry I get you. It is indeed an independent organization, not owned by a larger bank/society. So it's not like Birmingham Midshires, owned by HBOS now by Lloyds banking group.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    It's an independent mutual building society, see Building Societies Association list of members.
  • bootman
    bootman Posts: 1,985 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anyone know the minimum age you have to be to hold one of these?
    The Halifax bonds say 11+ but I can't find any reference to age on the web, Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure