UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Options

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 1 May 2009 at 5:34PM
    Options
    Could always try and daytrade rbs but that is crazy stuff and it'd still be the wrong point to enter the market I think

The xlf has reached a 6 month point of inflection. So it may be a trend reversal from here, a point you may even consider going short.
    Until 11.11 is broken and something like 11.30 taken and held from what Ive read it would not seem best to enter expecting (short term) profits.

Sucessfull trading involves alot of waiting before pouncing at the right time, I always get worried when people seem new and expect profits because of what has occured previously, its a common mistake unfortunately though you can always be lucky and none of us know what happens next

Im not sure if Im correct in thinking this but if RBS is sitting on 5.93 times the shares it had in circulation in 2008 then surely the present price equates to £2.58

Ever heard that phrase, its not whether you fail but how you handle it that matters. Seems that could apply in a general sense to deciding if this is a rally or a new bull market I think.
    I hear from lots of traders, this is a rally until we see a pull back and then strength higher. It has to fail to see its real strength

I pulled out my mspaint and put my best Gordon Gekko finger painting skills to action (they are making a new film believe it or not)

nnphmt.jpg
  • max11
    max11 Posts: 235 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you sabretoothtiger, that figure is very useful.
    As I couldn't invest some money (just in index tracker, I'm not expert and havent tiem to pick and sell single coimpanies shares) beginning of March, I was waiting for a little drop to invest that amount, but I was quite demoralized as it is increasing and increasing.
    So, there is still hope!

On top of that, I would like to start to invest a monthly amount, shall I start now? or wait this hypothetical drop?

thank you
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2009 at 4:57PM
    Options
    banks are doing well this monday in the US, I think we are gonna have a good tuesday, will have a go at lloyds and barclays again. Oil companies will go up too, following european markets.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Depends what they close at, I reckon a tight short around 900 for the sp500 is a reasonable bet in terms of risk to reward just because if you think markets are speculative (frothy, unfounded) then silly things like round numbers become 'magnetised'
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't decide yet if we're in the clear.

Certainly the real recession is yet to hit jobs and profits big time, and yet stock market yields are high compared to both historic averages and cash.

So I'm continuing to add cautiously to my existing stock market holdings, so that any downturn doesn't leave me too exposed.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Prices never go straight up or down and the market hasnt pulled back significantly at any point so wheres the strength.
    Its more like a boiling pot, you cant know the true level till the gas is turned down and the froth settles

So long as you keep something back, not all in then your doing the right thing I'd say
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    edited 5 May 2009 at 10:08AM
    Options
    how do you guys check share prices online? I've been doing with shareprice.co.uk but even when you are streaming data it is still delayed 5minutes. Where can I get real live share prices please? thanks
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    ricll wrote: »
    how do you guys check share prices online? I've been doing with shareprice.co.uk but even when you are streaming data it is still delayed 5minutes. Where can I get real live share prices please? thanks
    I use eSignal, but it's cost prohibitive unless you are a regular trader.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    spreadbet accounts seem to match real prices most of the time
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    ricll wrote: »
    but even when you are streaming data it is still delayed 5minutes.
    I'm surprised at that, obviously they have a different definition of "Live streaming prices" to me, but they are indeed delayed.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure