UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Options

Comments

• uk_steve
    uk_steve Posts: 375 Forumite
    Options
    tonygee wrote: »
    SOLD WMH & IRV 11% each,both struggle to get past £2,should get yesterdays 7% div from IRV.Subrime lender CTT shares suspended earlier,ironically shares more than doubled recently.Markets seem to be moving sideways,watching US banks,so prob good idea to take some profits

i see that as well, does that mean the company gone bust?
    Oh well we only live once ;-)
  • tonygee_3
    tonygee_3 Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Steve,not neccessarily but looks grim for shareholders(not me thank god although I was tempted at times)
    They are struggling to refinance and have dodgy accounts
    Feel sorry for holders who were duped in to the rights issue not long back
    Most recent investors knew state of play but gambled nonetheless
  • uk_steve
    edited 23 April 2009 at 7:58PM
    Options
    tonygee wrote: »
    Steve,not neccessarily but looks grim for shareholders(not me thank god although I was tempted at times)
    They are struggling to refinance and have dodgy accounts
    Feel sorry for holders who were duped in to the rights issue not long back
    Most recent investors knew state of play but gambled nonetheless

not good for them then:(

it shows they are plenty of Uk companys to be carefull this spring/summer:think:
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    First-quarter results this week http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing/2009/04/24/the-week-ahead-bp-shell-and-astrazeneca.aspx
    BP on Tuesday, BG Group, BSkyB, Cadbury, Smith & Nephew, AstraZeneca on Thursday, the main ones. Any predictions?
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    Markets Down on Swine Flu concerns Travel and Tourism hit hardest
    After a strong rally would expect some correction,so far all bad news taken on chin but loads of Big Names reporting also US Bank stress results out soon so markets could go either way.
    Im taking profits(sold AVIVA and AZN today) in expectation of falls
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    hey tonygee have a look on this http://theburningplatform.com/groups/quinns-daily-dose-of-reality/discussions/stress-test-results-leaked .Don't know if this can be trusted 100% but anyway, it's not a nice picture is it.
  • lotsadogs
    lotsadogs Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hatone wrote: »

I wonder if this rally is just a fluke or indeed the start of a bull market...... Citigroup has just reported its first profit.....

New here so forgive ay bloomers :o. and my naivety:o

I dont know a deal about stocks, I just follow intuition.

But the way I see it is that everyonehas whatever money they had before the financial difficulties, plus or minus, some.

Savers arent getting good returnds on their bank savings, but they still have the money and have to put it somewhere. So there must be people like me, who where rellying on the interest and have been driven to do something else with it other than high interest savings accounts.

Everyones mioney has to go somewhere. So there must be some like me who have gone into stocks, who hadnt previously. Thats my hope anyway.

Thats what I did and so far its going great.

The way I see shares is unless the company goes bust, or you NEED the money at some point in a rush, or you lose your nerve, then you cant lose with stocks. Forgive my optimism, its how I am....

I wish you all well with your financeial decision and your futures. :T
  • uk_steve
    Options
    I today have also pulled out on a few stocks (im a bit nervous today on my big stocks) so i made a lost to save the cash for another day
  • lotsadogs
    lotsadogs Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    uk_steve wrote: »
    I today have also pulled out on a few stocks (im a bit nervous today on my big stocks) so i made a lost to save the cash for another day

I am genuoinly interested n lerning how other people manage their stocks and one thing that I simply dont understand is this,..... hope you can enlighten me.....

Why did you chose to lose money rather than sit it out?

Did you NEED the money today for somethign else or did you fear the company was about to go bust?

The way I view my stocks (and I am very new to this and dont understand a deal about stocks at all - I dont watch tv much and never read papers), is that unless I actually need the money NOW, then I will never sell at a loss. I assumed this is what everyone did?

Any insights would be trully welcomed, I am always keen to learn from the experince of the experinced. Thank you and good luck with your future endevours.
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    Hi loadsadogs,
    Some people buy and immediately set up a stop loss (safety net)so if there judgement is badly wrong they wont lose too much.
    Others buy and hold regardless thru the ups and downs.
    It depends I suppose how comfortable u are sitting with paper losses
    I NEVER sell at a loss,dont set a stoploss.I prefer to buy allready distressed stocks hold until profit but if there is big risk on horizon I sell.
    I only buy £800-1500 at a time so if they fall I can top up or preferably buy a diff co in same sector so as not to put all eggs in 1 basket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure