UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Options

Comments

• lotsadogs
    lotsadogs Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Ho tonygee
    THanks for your reply. Its all quite new for me, I dont undrstand much about stocks, just work on intuition.

it strikes me that to succeed, you just need to do the oppositen to what everyoe else is doing. Im good at that. Always been the blacksheep:rotfl:

Thanks for your input. Il be interested to see how all this pans out.

Personally, Im rather excited about the whole thing. I think the recent finncial shake up is a fabulous opportunity for lots of people, organisations and communitites to refocus their attentions on what really matters. . .

Enjoying life and focussing on what they have got. And being greatful for it. :T. Good luck to everyone. Thanks again. ;)
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Trading is generally more profitable is the quick answer.
    Selling at loss makes sense if you lose 10% but avoid a further 30% drop, then you rebuy and effectively you have gained value while losing/spending some money.
  • uk_steve
    uk_steve Posts: 375 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2009 at 3:47PM
    Options
    lotsadogs wrote: »
    I am genuoinly interested n lerning how other people manage their stocks and one thing that I simply dont understand is this,..... hope you can enlighten me.....

Why did you chose to lose money rather than sit it out?

Did you NEED the money today for somethign else or did you fear the company was about to go bust?

The way I view my stocks (and I am very new to this and dont understand a deal about stocks at all - I dont watch tv much and never read papers), is that unless I actually need the money NOW, then I will never sell at a loss. I assumed this is what everyone did?

Any insights would be trully welcomed, I am always keen to learn from the experince of the experinced. Thank you and good luck with your future endevours.

To be honest i am new as well to stocks

with certain news i have read over the last week made me
    feel not comfortable on certain stocks i had on my portfolio
    which i sell and buy quickly (not my long hold stocks)

i am no expert but i find in life you got to do what you feel right in your mind and heart

on the whole i have done well on buying and selling on my short hold stocks even with taking a loss today on some

hope you do well what ever route you go;)
    Oh well we only live once ;-)
  • lotsadogs
    Options
    uk_steve wrote: »
    To be honest i am new as well to stocks

with certain news i have read over the last week made me
    feel not comfortable on certain stocks i had on my portfolio
    which i sell and buy quickly (not my long hold stocks)

i am no expert but i find in life you got to do what you feel right in your mind and heart

on the whole i have done well on buying and selling on my short hold stocks even with taking a loss today on some

hope you do well what ever route you go;)

Thank you for the reply. Its fascinating how everyone approaches the same thing differently. I guess thats people for ya!

The thing with news I feel is that in order for something to be "newsworthy" ie, to sell papers and stories and emotions, it GENERALLY has to be negative or even extremly negative. Personally, when things APPEAR negative, I just dismiss them. Handling Reality, no matter how tough it is, is usually much easier than handling the negativity that swirls around often uncotrolled in peoples heads and within soieties and communities. Look at all the facts. We had a major ecomomic hiccup. Do we really believe that we will all die as a result or the world will end? NO dont think so and if it does then nothing really matter anyway methinks.
    So if it doesnt end or we dont die, will we handle it? Im guessing so, we always do. And will there be any banks left? Yep Im thinking so. And if there aren't then there will be such chaos that money will be irrelivant anyway, it will be survival skills that count.

So to counter all possibilities, I am investing some money where I think safe, sharpening my knife and arrows, brushing up on my grow your own food techniques, and then approching life as if everything where brilliant. And it feels brilliant. ;):D

What am I on about:o? Sorry for the rambling. Love this forum.

Nothing is real, only thoughts make it appear so......

Thanks all for your replies - really interesting. :T
  • lotsadogs
    Options
    Trading is generally more profitable is the quick answer.
    Selling at loss makes sense if you lose 10% but avoid a further 30% drop, then you rebuy and effectively you have gained value while losing/spending some money.

Was that an answe to my question? If so thank you. If not, sorry I butte in.

Thank you and good luck
  • tonygee_3
    tonygee_3 Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    The 'dash for trash' continues today as buyers turn to previously battered stocks Banks,Pubcos(I sold my ETI)
    Insurers whereas more safe/defensive stocks largely unchanged.These large rises seem overdone,premature,unsustainable and I would expect falls shortly.
  • thesuperman
    Options
    RBS to rise? shall i purchase now before it gets even higher..
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 April 2009 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Exactly my thoughts Tony but I wouldnt be surprised if it spiked further before falling back, its uncomfortable to trade but very profitable if you can sell right at the top

No I wouldnt buy which is why it seems sensible to sell or hold at best. For the price to continue rising someone has to keep buying

Barclays paid a dividend of 11p last august so what will they pay this year. For 300p shareprice (brokers rating) to make sense they would pay at least 5% yield on interim and final dividend or 15p total

Their profits definitely cover that but they may require capital to cover falling asset values, same as last year
    BARCLAYS yesterday gave a cautious show of confidence by confirming it would pay a cash dividend before the end of the current financial year
    At the annual meeting in London, Barclays’s chairman, Marcus Agius, said the bank would pay quarterly dividends. It intends to make a cash payment for the third quarter of this fiscal year and deliver a final dividend in the first quarter of 2010, though it would be "conservative".

Barclays, which scrapped dividends in the last financial year, had previously promised to restore them in the second half. But it warned today that future pay-outs would be more cautious - "significantly lower than the 50 per cent (of profits) level of recent years".
    http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25378920-643,00.html

Stock yields and dividend cover as a form of value investing (vs speculation)

http://www.h-l.co.uk/news/Feature-articles/id/1031

http://www.iii.co.uk/markets/?type=stockfilter
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    RBS to rise? shall i purchase now before it gets even higher..

I never buy a share after its price has gone up nearly 15% like RBS, I would wait now, of course they can continue to go up, but it's most likely they will drop a bit in the next few days.
  • tonygee_3
    tonygee_3 Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly ricll,can be dangerous to get involved at this stage.RBS has gone from 10p to over 40p so any bad news and profitakers could reduce it back to the 20s. Of course it could continue upwards but thats the gamble.
    Fortunately some of my earlier shares which were losers are now in profit thanks to this rally,if it continues these will do well.If we have a big drop then there will be further oportunities.Bought AZN and PNN yesterday as there may be a switch to defensives both pay good divs regardless
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure