UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Options

Comments

• tonygee_3
    tonygee_3 Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Stroke of luck,sold my best performer E2V this morning,after it doubled.To then see it crash to the bottom of the fallers board!Was interested in re-buying but the spread was min 8% most of the day!Reluctantly sold Aviva,ITE but later bought WMH which has underperformed,I think relating to the Budget.Nonetheless I would hope for decent rise soon now RI/Debts sorted.Will have to see if todays drop is just profittacking or the next drop
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A good article, obvious to you whizzos but useful for the novice.

http://www.hemscott.com/news/comment-archive/item.do?id=68088
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2009 at 5:43PM
    Options
    Theres no point stating an opinion if you cant say why, you might as well be chanting come on you reds

I cant deal with the smaller stocks, I dont know them or feel confident dealing with a company share I would not be happy to hold long term if Im wrong on the direction and I dont like selling at loss like proper traders have to

Maybe if I build up a slush fund to play with but right now normal massive cap companies are so volatile there is plenty of margin to trade them

358t3t0.jpg

even in a bear market, there's always a bull market going on somewhere
    I agree, unless global gdp does go seriously negative then its about where to invest best

What do the voices in your head tell you ? :laugh:

http://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2007/10/finding-your-voice-as-trader.html

Some decent advice by this guy I think, for some reason there is alot of traders on twitter. I suggest people follow this guy and others for some perspective on the usa market especially

www.stocktwits.com
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    sorry, yeah I think I will be more cautious with small-cap stocks in the future. I like to gamble a bit though, dip in and out to make a profit. I still think I can do better this way than if I had a portfolio of shares for the long term. Most shares were down today anyway so hopefully ELM will do better in the next few days.
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    Dont worry ricll,ELM will come good soon,it may fall tomorrow morn as is ex div day.Holders pick up 1.4p per share approx 5.5%.Hopefully pick up after that.FTSE expected up tomorrow if DOW stays positive .I bought AV. back after it dropped 30 pips on BUDGET concerns.Fingers crossed
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    another good one to buy is Barratts. will do well after the budget is announced I think
  • Hatone
    Hatone Posts: 71 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2009 at 9:58PM
    Options
    I reckon Foostie will open strongly tomorrow morning (following positive trading on Dow Jones today) and then depending on how the budget is delivered, most stocks should stabilise and finish around 1.6% higher than today's.

History tells me budget reports are generally delivered with an optimistic outlook of the future of the economy and Darling is also expected to announce that recovery will start around or after Christmas 09 - this will help equities.
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 22 April 2009 at 12:11AM
    Options
    Opinions cost money :) he is not my darling, I know that much :p

128774587171937885.jpg
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    Hatone wrote: »
    I reckon Foostie will open strongly tomorrow morning (following positive trading on Dow Jones today)
    Yup looks like we want some more upside, still too many people believe this is just a bear market rally, so I guess a little more heat needs applied.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    SOLD WMH & IRV 11% each,both struggle to get past £2,should get yesterdays 7% div from IRV.Subrime lender CTT shares suspended earlier,ironically shares more than doubled recently.Markets seem to be moving sideways,watching US banks,so prob good idea to take some profits
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure