UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Options

Comments

• tonygee_3
    tonygee_3 Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    ricll,TW very risky,struggling for cash just announced cashcall hence drop of 20%remember they were as low as 4p!!!Ive avoided housebuilders cos will be a long time 10+ years before they take off.
    Looks like no stopping this rally I think DOW 10000 might prove the test.
    Just bought DRX & IPF
    Fingers crossed:D
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    I hope your right,
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
  • ricll
    ricll Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    I missed IPF, looks like it has reached rock bottom today. do you guys use level 2 tools?
  • Buddy195
    Buddy195 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    ricll wrote: »
    I missed IPF, looks like it has reached rock bottom today. do you guys use level 2 tools?

30 odd % down on the day? Must have been some very bad news for them :eek:
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    tonygee wrote: »
    Surely gents Investing is about making as much as you can from your cash in as short a time as you can!
    Hi tonygee, personally I'd say that was a better description of trading rather than investing, for most of the investors I know, time is not really a significant consideration, investors are more interested in value, growth potential, income along the way perhaps etc.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    Tomorrow Update from Banking Giant HSBC
    Reported cashcalls from Lonmin,Travis Perkins and Debenhams
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    DOW expected DOWN later
    SOLD AZN good jump today
    SOLD PNN & BPI both runs petring out
  • uk_steve
    uk_steve Posts: 375 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2009 at 11:18AM
    Options
    i took a punt on the ipf today as well Tonygee

looks like i bailed out on my gemd abit too early today @ 173 just seems to be climbing by the minute today
    Oh well we only live once ;-)
  • tonygee_3
    Options
    Was looking at GEMD over the weekend and suspected it would rise today after Fridays gain.However dont like the share but will consider if falls
    I got in a bit early on IPF but should do well soon
    Provident (similar)may be interesting,think it goes ex div on Weds and usually falls a lot more than div perhaps sub £8
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    tonygee wrote: »
    Tomorrow Update from Banking Giant HSBC
    Reported cashcalls from Lonmin,Travis Perkins and Debenhams

Banking giant HSBC Holdings said Monday that its first-quarter underlying pretax profit was substantially higher compared to the year-earlier period due to $6.6 billion of accounting gains, though the firm was cautious over the outlook for the global economy.
    the price of its debt rebounded in April, meaning much of the benefit it recorded in the first quarter will be reversed in the second quarter. The bank said loan impairment charges rose compared to a year ago, but declined from the high levels seen in the last three months of 2008.
    Margins on the deposits made at HSBC's 10,000 retail branches came under pressure from falling global interest rates, but Geoghegan said the bank wants to maintain its strong deposit base.
    Charles Stanley analyst Nic Clarke said HSBC is currently paying the price for having such a big branch network, but added that other banks will have to make a choice between either investing heavily to boost deposits, or decreasing their asset base.
    "HSBC will not have to make this difficult choice. And indeed, due to its strong capital base, it can increase its lending when it see opportunities," Clarke said.
    The group completed a $17.8 billion share sale in April, after taking significant goodwill impairments on its U.S. operations. The cash is intended to help fund organic growth and could also be used for acquisitions.
    Including this additional capital, the bank's Tier 1 capital ratio would have been 9.9% at the end of March, HSBC said.
    I know they scrapped mark to market in the usa but here in the uk?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport