UK Stockmarket 2009 and beyond

Options

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Stavros wrote: »
    FTSE 100 has broken through the 5700 level

Amazing - that's +45% in 12 months. I wish I could've had a bigger slice of that than I have done. But then I'm not an investor...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    US futures already suggesting another breakout, may have to raise my year's target for SPX based on the pace of this up move. Will have to check, but 1230 was low end and already we are less than 60 points from that, high end of that targeting would be 1300 - 1325 before year end after a correction of some sort from the 1230 area
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • Stavros_3
    Stavros_3 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    tradetime wrote: »
    Yeah I expect 6200-6300 this year barring some black swan event.

Or Labour being re-elected :mad:
    Liquidity is when you look at your investment portfolio and **** your pants
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Or Labour being re-elected :mad:
    I don't think markets are that bothered, they just want certainty.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 25 March 2010 at 3:30PM
    Options
    Natural Gas Storage inventories in 7 minutes.
    -37B was forecast last month and it was -11B instead, more supply then expected and this month its 10B forecast but Im figuring we may have an overplayed dynamic in action and even if the figure is high it'll be actually expected

Also I stumbled across another stock that looks much more appealing then CHK on the surface. It has a 8% dividend and they are a carrier I think

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=RGNC

Again its american but then so is half of shell or bp pretty much, its just they are listed here as is true of lots of commodity companies

I figure 8% makes it worth investigating and its badly priced considering they have revenues regardless of gas price?

I don't think markets are that bothered, they just want certainty

Whoever gets elected is going to have similar problems and likely do similar things. The government is not fully in control is my opinion because we have let reins get away from us on the debt to gdp ratio thats the whole point really, its unsustainable
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 25 March 2010 at 6:03PM
    Options
    FTSE 100 has broken through the 5700 level

IMHO I don't see much more movement north over the next couple of months and expect another retreat of around 10% in the next few weeks. The market is getting ahead of itself and there's really no more certainty about the future of world economies than there was a year ago.

When all the Government smoke & mirrors, largely brought about by QE, has to come to an end, reality will hit.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • sabretoothtigger
    edited 25 March 2010 at 3:44PM
    Options
    http://www.benzinga.com/191010/sure-looks-like-a-top-vix-nyse-dow-gold

1vix7755266.jpg

Sounds similar to my simple theories :D

Gas inventory came in 11B only slightly above forecast, will this help gas company prices now or is this falling knife unstoppable :o

[USA Unemployment Claims slightly below forecast]

largely brought about by QE

QE, weak currency and a poor economy is not necessarily bad for nominal stockmarket prices. Its not very fair, ironic even but shares could be the best place to be

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3176/zimb.png
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=31035971&postcount=22
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Looking at trade volume levels and the money pumped into buying gold it looks to me like lots of people have missed out on one of the greatest stock bull runs in modern history. If the current run continues for much longer I can see people ditching gold as it continues to drop in value, if that happens there will be no stopping this rampageing bull.
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    IMHO I don't see much more movement north over the next couple of months and expect another retreat of around 10% in the next few weeks. The market is getting ahead of itself and there's really no more certainty about the future of world economies than there was a year ago.

When all the Government smoke & mirrors, largely brought about by QE, has to come to an end, reality will hit.
    From an investment standpoint, there is certainly more downside risk here than upside, and from that standpoint investors would be wise to protect their gains as fit. I had expected that there could be some sort of meaningful correction from the 1150 level in the S&P500, and other markets from corresponding levels, however the market seems to have other ideas at the moment, and until proved otherwise dips remain buyable.for short term traders, for longer term I would probably lighten up on holdings.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    I was just shorting Euro Yen currency pair today because it looked like a good bet to short.

If this correlates to the wider market as some people say, then it could match dollar strength and some retractment in equity markets.

On a weekly basis Yen looks like it could strengthen vs the Euro, this would continue a trend going back to October 2009 but also would not be far off confirming falls since 2008 so I just figured its worth noting and seeing how markets perform with a possible currency tide change.

Euro/yen has been sideways since 5th Feb when we all can recognise there was a bottom also in equity

The neptune bet of GBP vs Yen still looks like it could rise which seems contradictory confusedsmiley013.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure