BMI baby - new baggage allowance

Options

Comments

• bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    Have you checked tickets/e-tickets/e-mail or whatever they send? If it mentions 20kgs in there, I would go by that but take proof of it along with you. 2kgs is not such a great difference. Could you not pack a bit more in your cabin baggage or is it included in the limit?
  • 1d2a3d4d5i6o
    Options
    This is a very sore point.:mad: . All have baggage weight allowance, that differ from airline to airline. :confused:
    Now the size and weight of your hand luggage varies from airline to airline too, seeing that most use the same models of planes, surely the roof lockers are the same size. They look the same to me.

airline
    hand luggage
    hold luggage
    Easyjet
    size only
    20kg
    Jet2.com
    10kg
    22kg
    thomas cook---- 5kg
    15kg
    monach
    5kg
    20kg
    bmi b
    10kg
    20kg
    Please do not take my word check the websites yourself, before travelling.

My main point is that it is all about baggage weight, ( thats how the airlines look at it) how much do you charge a person :- :rolleyes:
    1. that weighs 55kg and has an excess of 2kg hold luggage
    2. that weighs 105kg and has no excess luggage weight.
    The answer is:- the person that weighs 55kg they pay around £16 even though they are saving the airline 48kg. In fact if you look at it that way they should be rewarded by the airlines not punished. It makes a farce of the whole set up.

This story is true, WE WERE THAT COUPLE.:o
  • juehankie
    juehankie Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE

4. So if your scales hadn't broken, you'd have known that you were overweight.... So exactly how is BMIBaby to blame?[/QUOTE]

oh goodness me! if i had known the bags were overweight - i would have taken 2! and it would have neem cheaper for me to do that!

dont you get the whole reason of my complaint................
  • juehankie
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The reason I said that it SEEMS to be irrelevant is that you were talking about being expected to know what 18kgs was whilst you were at home.

Therefore to me, you knew the limit was 18kgs - not 20kgs.
    So surely the fact that, historically, some airlines had a 20kg limit IS irrelevant.
    The fact that you're used to having 20kgs is nothing to do with BMIBaby.

The hold luggage allowance for the flight you were on was 18kgs.
    You knew this whilst you were at home.
    Your luggage was overweight.
    You got charged.

If I've misunderstood your initial post (the proposed letter to BMIBaby) then I apologise, but from what I've read, I can't see anyone at fault here but you.

thanks for the apology - i'll take it, cuz you just dont seem to understand lol
  • juehankie
    Options
    itzmee wrote: »
    I booked tickets with BMI Baby in January (we fly next week) and it said that baggage allowance was currently 20kg but would be changed to 18kg from April. I have always assumed that this will apply to me so I will be taking 18kgs of luggage.

1. cant phone - they only take complaints via letter

2. great quote above - this is my point. i booked in january - allowance 20kgs - get to airport - 18kg - no warning of change - bmi customer service in majorca "begged" me to complain cuz millions of people were "had" that weekend!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    juehankie wrote: »
    thanks for the apology - i'll take it, cuz you just dont seem to understand lol

But if you read some of the replies to your original post, I'm not the only one who "just don't seem to understand'. :confused:

I just hope that you have more luck getting BMIBaby to understand your letter.

Do let us know when you get your requested £27 refund. :rolleyes:
  • Pollycat
    Options
    juehankie wrote: »
    this is my point. i booked in january - allowance 20kgs - get to airport - 18kg - no warning of change - bmi customer service in majorca "begged" me to complain cuz millions of people were "had" that weekend!

But in your original post you said:
    As I have never travelled BMI before we were very annoyed at having to “guess” what 18kgs is at home,

If you weren't aware that your limit had been reduced from 20kgs at the time of booking to 18kgs at the time of travel, shouldn't you have been guessing what 20kgs was at home (as that's what you thought your limit was)? :confused:
  • lefty
    lefty Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    A RESULT!! After 2 letters, e-mails and finally a letter to Crawford Rix the MD a letter arrived this morning stating' As you made your booking pror to the 17 November, 2008, we appreciate you would not have been notified of the forthcoming change to out baggage allowance. We will therefore, honour the 20kg allowance agreed by you when you made your booking on the 10 September, 2008. I have noted your booking in order that our airport staff are aware of this situation, however, I recommend that you take this letter with you on the day of travel'.
    The last sentence explains the reason why I did not think it was worthwhile phoning as the weight could still have been disputed at the airport and I needed something in writing.
    I hope this clarifies the matter for everyone and to those who made their bookings before 17 November, 2008 it would appear that you are eligible for 20Kgs and to those who booked after this date then BMIBaby say that 18Kgs is applicable.
  • cazsheffield
    Options
    I agree its time BMI Baby treated their customers better. On a recent flight to Malaga noticed loads of customers being charged extra for luggage( weight allowance had suddenly been changed) and extra for 'hand luggage' which they said was too big but which all other budget airlines permit to take on board. We were charged £100 to change a name as one of our group had married. I don't mind paying for the name change but £100 for something that took 30 seconds to do is definately a rip off. I wonder if in the future people might be able to claim back rip off charges in the same way people are now being allowed to calim back rip off bank charges
    No point in contacting BMI as they don't respond to letters or e-mails and the phone line is a premium line which no-one ever responds to.
    QUOTE=jhe;20716529]well i for one sympathise with juehankie. i think its high time airlines treat customers better than they do.maybe they should remember without customers they havnt got a business to run.[/QUOTE]
  • Pollycat
    Options
    I agree its time BMI Baby treated their customers better. On a recent flight to Malaga noticed loads of customers being charged extra for luggage( weight allowance had suddenly been changed) and extra for 'hand luggage' which they said was too big but which all other budget airlines permit to take on board.

I'm surprised at your statement about hand luggage being too big as BMIBaby have the same dimensions (55x40x20cm) as a lot of other airlines in a similar class - e.g. Ryanair & Easyjet and more than some e.g. Flybe (50x35x23cm) and Thomas Cook (a measly 43x28x23cm).
    So which budget airlines allow greater dimensions than BMIBaby?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure