BMI baby - new baggage allowance

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,713 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I'm the first to sympathise with someone if, on the information provided, it appears that they have been unfairly treated.

This doesn't seem to be the case here, at least to me.

A few observations:
    The reduction from 20kg to 18kg seems to be irelevant here - the OP mentions in her letter about having 'to guess what 18kg is at home' - which would imply to me that they were aware of the hold luggage limit before getting to the airport.
    However, in contradiction to that statement in her letter, she ends with "we were not informed of the change of allowance" - so it's unclear what the truth is. The OP needs to make sure her letter is not contradictory.

The charge for overweight luggage is clearly shown on BMIBaby's website, £9 per kilo for international flights - £27 total.

As I've stated earlier, each paying passenger is allowed one piece of hand luggage. Weight and dimensions vary with airlines, but for BMIBaby it is 10kg.
    Assuming the child was not an infant, that would mean 30kgs of hand luggage - at the least it would be 20kg combined for the 2 adults.

The OP chose to take a handbag (classed as 1 piece) plus a small bag (classed as 1 piece).
    It's not BMIBaby's fault that the OP didn't take more hand luggage.
  • juehankie
    juehankie Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I'm the first to sympathise with someone if, on the information provided, it appears that they have been unfairly treated.

This doesn't seem to be the case here, at least to me.

A few observations:
    The reduction from 20kg to 18kg seems to be irelevant here - the OP mentions in her letter about having 'to guess what 18kg is at home' - which would imply to me that they were aware of the hold luggage limit before getting to the airport.
    However, in contradiction to that statement in her letter, she ends with "we were not informed of the change of allowance" - so it's unclear what the truth is. The OP needs to make sure her letter is not contradictory.

The charge for overweight luggage is clearly shown on BMIBaby's website, £9 per kilo for international flights - £27 total.

As I've stated earlier, each paying passenger is allowed one piece of hand luggage. Weight and dimensions vary with airlines, but for BMIBaby it is 10kg.
    Assuming the child was not an infant, that would mean 30kgs of hand luggage - at the least it would be 20kg combined for the 2 adults.

The OP chose to take a handbag (classed as 1 piece) plus a small bag (classed as 1 piece).
    It's not BMIBaby's fault that the OP didn't take more hand luggage.

firstly, thanks :j
    secondly, i always only take one luggage, cuz i dont want the hassle of carrying cases, bags, wheelchairs and buggys. so the lighter the better.
    BMI expected me to know what 18kgs is, whilst i was at home - they told me THIS when i was AT THE airport.

follow this link - i did. www dot my hypen flight dot net slash id88
    was i confused? it would appear so.:mad:

scales! i have owned a set for years - put money on this next statement..........., but they broke the day i pulled them out of airing cupboard, to check weight.:confused: honest to god!

i have never used or seen anyone use airport scales - BUT WE DID ON OUR return - lesson learnt.!;)
  • juehankie
    juehankie Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    quote; The reduction from 20kg to 18kg seems to be irelevant here

i wouldnt have been charged if this wasnt the case. its totally relevant:rolleyes:
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The main question all this hangs on; apologies if the answer is above I couldn't seem to find it:

When you booked, were you informed your luggage allowance was 20Kg? And then you turned up and they informed you this had been lowered to 18Kg?

If this is the case, and bmibaby did not inform you then you do have a case to go after them.... good luck though, they are shocking when it comes to customer services.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    juehankie wrote: »
    firstly, thanks :j
    secondly, i always only take one luggage, cuz i dont want the hassle of carrying cases, bags, wheelchairs and buggys. so the lighter the better.
    BMI expected me to know what 18kgs is, whilst i was at home - they told me THIS when i was AT THE airport.

follow this link - i did. www dot my hypen flight dot net slash id88
    was i confused? it would appear so.:mad:

scales! i have owned a set for years - put money on this next statement..........., but they broke the day i pulled them out of airing cupboard, to check weight.:confused: honest to god!

i have never used or seen anyone use airport scales - BUT WE DID ON OUR return - lesson learnt.!;)

1. But the point of 'one piece of hand luggage' is that you can put your handbag inside the bigger bag and you still have the one piece to carry.
    That you chose not to do that is down to you, not BMIBaby.

2. BMI did not expect you to 'know' what 18kgs of luggage was, any more than Thomas Cook would have expected you to 'know' what 15kgs of luggage was, or First Choice expected you to know whatever their limit was.
    Airlines state their hand and hold dimensions and limits - it's down to the individual traveller to ensure they are not overweight - unless of course they are prepared to pay excess baggage.

3. I don't know what the point of the link you provided is. :confused:

4. So if your scales hadn't broken, you'd have known that you were overweight.... So exactly how is BMIBaby to blame?
  • Pollycat
    Options
    juehankie wrote: »
    quote; The reduction from 20kg to 18kg seems to be irelevant here

i wouldnt have been charged if this wasnt the case. its totally relevant:rolleyes:

The reason I said that it SEEMS to be irrelevant is that you were talking about being expected to know what 18kgs was whilst you were at home.
    BMI expected me to know what 18kgs is, whilst i was at home
    Therefore to me, you knew the limit was 18kgs - not 20kgs.
    So surely the fact that, historically, some airlines had a 20kg limit IS irrelevant.
    The fact that you're used to having 20kgs is nothing to do with BMIBaby.

The hold luggage allowance for the flight you were on was 18kgs.
    You knew this whilst you were at home.
    Your luggage was overweight.
    You got charged.

If I've misunderstood your initial post (the proposed letter to BMIBaby) then I apologise, but from what I've read, I can't see anyone at fault here but you.
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    How can people take so much luggage on holiday? I can do 7 months round the world on only 12 kilos so why would someone need so much for a 3 day break?

This is what amazes me. We regularly fly Ryanair and can easily go for up to 10 days on 10kg each. We hire private villas where there is invariably a washing machine if you do run short of clothes.

Some people cannot leave home without taking every bit of clothing, every pair of shoes, matching handbags, plus the kitchen sink.:rolleyes: I have never seen the point of this - who the hell do they think is looking at them all the time to make sure they don't wear the same frock twice?:confused:

For a 3 day break 10kg is more than enough for anyone. What the hell do they take?:o
  • Pollycat
    Options
    This is what amazes me. We regularly fly Ryanair and can easily go for up to 10 days on 10kg each. We hire private villas where there is invariably a washing machine if you do run short of clothes.

Some people cannot leave home without taking every bit of clothing, every pair of shoes, matching handbags, plus the kitchen sink.:rolleyes: I have never seen the point of this - who the hell do they think is looking at them all the time to make sure they don't wear the same frock twice?:confused:

For a 3 day break 10kg is more than enough for anyone. What the hell do they take?:o

I do agree with what you're saying but I guess it's down to individual choice as to how much stuff to take.
    In fairness to the OP, they do have a small child and maybe where they went at Easter wasn't too warm so they had to take jumpers etc.
    Also, they were S/C so maybe they took extra stuff to eat.

Some people do seem to have a problem deciding what to take and end up taking too much. I do a 'mix & match' plan so I wear different tops with different trousers so that it doesn't look like I'm living in the same clothes.
    Two pairs of trousers & 2 tops = 4 different outfits.

For a 4 day/3 night break, me and OH can manage on hand luggage weighing around 6kgs which is well within RyanAir limits. But we don't have a young child to consider.

MrSmartPrice/blue haddock
    You think 21kgs between 2 adults and achild is bad. :confused:
    Someone posted on another thread that their wife never takes less than 60kgs FOR HERSELF. :eek:
    Apparently, she changes 3 times a day. :rolleyes:

My OH would bury me in the sand if I was like that. :rotfl:
  • Matt_Nixon
    Matt_Nixon Posts: 234 Forumite
    Options
    Could some explain how they get round the 100ml fluids rule when only taking hand luggage for a 3 day + trip?
  • apt
    apt Posts: 3,188 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The 100 ml limit is per container, so you could put sunscreen etc in more than one container.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure