BMI baby - new baggage allowance

this is the letter i cant email to bmi because they dont accept emails!! - but when my printer has some ink in i will send it via post.

reading it will let you know how annoying BMI was over the easter weekend........

:mad:
BMI Baby,

I am sure I am one of many thousands who will be returning from their holidays very annoyed at your recent baggage allowance change from 20 kgs to 18kg with no prior notification.

As I have never travelled BMI before we were very annoyed at having to “guess” what 18kgs is at home, then to “check in” and be informed we were over by only 3kgs and then charged £27 was extortionate. To rub salt into the wounds we were not offered the chance to remove some items, or (as we witnessed several people doing as we left the check in desk to pay our “excess charge” to put upto 10kgs in hand luggage PER PERSON.) £16 for 18kgs, or £27 for 3kg! Do you see why I may be annoyed?

I am used to airlines allowing 20kgs minimum check in allowance and only 5kgs hand luggage.

We are a family of 3. 2 adults & 1 child. Carrying only 1 handbag containing passports and 1 small bag containing child’s DVD player. To find out we could have put this excess baggage in an additional hand luggage seems very unfair. After talking to many people at the airport it appears many of those were offered this option. This was not a cheap holiday, costing us near on £600 for a 3 day Easter break, self catering.

It seems preposterous to have more weight in “over head” lockers, also causing all kinds of problems with people unable to put their bags near their seats. Our bags were 10 seats away! More chaos unravelled when leaving the aircraft!.

I am writing to request the refund of £27 as we were not informed of the change of allowance, and not given the option to remove this excess into our hand luggage. I do have the receipt.

Yours J H.

Comments

• Incapuppy
    Incapuppy Posts: 5,713 Forumite
    Sorry but I am confused. If you had no prior notification how were you able to 'guess what 18kgs is at home?'
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    i agree,
    i always weigh things at home.

and with bmi, what do you expect?
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • juehankie
    juehankie Posts: 83 Forumite
    Incapuppy wrote: »
    Sorry but I am confused. If you had no prior notification how were you able to 'guess what 18kgs is at home?'

EXACTLY! they expected me to guess a weight of a case. i dont have any scales at home.

i regularly fly and have never exceeded 25kgs - so i do it by "lift". i didnt know i was expected to guessamate 18kgs - which i only knew about when she told me at check in
  • juehankie
    juehankie Posts: 83 Forumite
    Dave101t wrote: »
    i agree,
    i always weigh things at home.

and with bmi, what do you expect?
    i dont know ..........i've never travelled with them before - as stated above!:confused:
  • Incapuppy
    juehankie wrote: »
    EXACTLY! they expected me to guess a weight of a case. i dont have any scales at home.

So perhaps you should get some? If you are regularly used to guessing 20 kilos of hold luggage yet yours weighed 21 kilos (3 kilos over the 18 that you say you were charged for) then you would still have been overweight.

It does say quite clearly on the BMI Baby website that the checked baggage allowance is 18 kilos: http://www.bmibaby.com/bmibaby/en/index.aspx?p=718
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    How can people take so much luggage on holiday? I can do 7 months round the world on only 12 kilos so why would someone need so much for a 3 day break?

Also why would BMI baby be interested in how much you paid for the holiday? they are just the airline you used.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 396 Forumite
    I think people should stop having a go at the op

and just a tip for future, as you're queing to check your baggage, see if there are any check in desks open and run over and put your case on it, the in built scales tell you the weight whether the check in desk is open or not
    Misc debts - £5,000 | Student loan - £9,000 | Mortgage - £180,000
    Goals for 2015: Sell house & downsize + Increase income + Get debt Free :shocked: {Diary}
    <3DS born 05/05/2009 & DS2 born 12/02/2011 <3
    Smoke free since 01/01/2010
    Paid off credit card 04/04/2011
  • Incapuppy
    chazsucks wrote: »
    I think people should stop having a go at the op

It's not 'having a go' it's called 'having an opinion' and if people don't want to hear opinions that differ from their own then, quite frankly, they didn't ought to bother posting on here in the first place!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    juehankie
    Before you get some ink for your printer, I'd suggest rethinking the wording and tone of your letter.
    It's too emotive (don't use words/phrases such as:
    'extortionate' 'To rub salt into the wounds' 'preposterous' 'More chaos unravelled when leaving the aircraft!'

Also, the statement below is is VERY confusing. Are you saying that between you, you had only one hand baggage?
    On every airline I've flown on (although I admit I've never flown BMI Baby) each paying passenger has a hand luggage allowance - I can't understand why your family didn't realise this. :confused:
    Carrying only 1 handbag containing passports and 1 small bag containing child’s DVD player. To find out we could have put this excess baggage in an additional hand luggage seems very unfair.
    Generally, your letter is hard to understand and full of discrepancies.

Other points from your later responses:
    Surely it's not just BMI Baby who 'expect you to guess the weight of a case'. If you don't have scales, you have 'to guess' regardless of whoever you fly with.
    I am used to airlines allowing 20kgs minimum check in allowance and only 5kgs hand luggage.
    I think you need to get used to the fact that many charter airlines hold allowance is only 15kgs.
  • jhe
    jhe Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well i for one sympathise with juehankie. i think its high time airlines treat customers better than they do.maybe they should remember without customers they havnt got a business to run.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure