'Support onclick'?

Just had a really weird call from 'Support Onclick' saying they'd spotted we'd just opened a malicious file - & offering support.

When asked how they knew they said they worked with 'all the big companies' & were asked to check these things out!

Very weird, coz I was only just booting up the PC at the time, not having been on it since last night.

Allegedly they're from Bradford!

Any ideas?
:mad: :j:D:beer::eek::A:p:rotfl::cool::):(:T

Comments

• DatabaseError
    DatabaseError Posts: 4,161 Forumite
    ignore them....scammers!
    (never actually heard of them..but the only way they could get your phone number from your IP address is via a court order...even then I think they'd only get an address.
    Probably worth running malwarebytes and a virus scan just to make sure your machine is actually clean...and that they haven't harvested your data through resident malware (extremely unlikely)
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • mrJ_5
    mrJ_5 Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    probably trying to get your bank details and charge you for some rubbish anti-virus program
  • My friend has just had such a phone call and was scammed out of £170 for three years subscription of god knows what. They told her that they had remote access to her computer and that they could see that she had problems that needed fixing. The completely convinced her that a: they were from Microsoft and b: that the problems were serious. After telling her to cancel her payment with her credit card (paypal) I then called them and told them exactly what I thought of them. They 'say' they will cancel the payment, but it took me 20 minutes on the phone to India - heaven knows what that will cost me! Does anyone know who to report this to, to get it stopped? At the very best, the company may be legitimate and my friend was simply mis-sold the product. At worst its an insidious scam preying on those who dont understand computers enough to contradict what they've been told!
  • I was just called and told the same thing, that my computer had automatically downloaded some unwanted files which now made it susceptible to hacking. This sounded very unlikely to me, particularly as when I asked her to repeat herself she used the exact same wording, as if she was reading it from a piece of paper. I asked them to leave a number so that my Mum could call back when she got home from work but the woman on the phone changed the subject and kept asking me to turn on the computer. I didn't understand why that was necessary so I said the computer was broken, and she became really agressive and accused me of lying (which to be fair I was) so I again asked for the company name and I was told support onclick (which i dont believe) and when I asked her to give me a phone number for a second time she hung up.
    I thought it was dodgy to begin with but the fact she started shouting at me and wouldnt leave a number was really suspicious...
  • dawson001
    dawson001 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I just got a call from them too, according they were working with microsoft!
    Tried to get me to run specific programs!
    They are just scammers, trying to sign up to their software!
  • maxicab
    maxicab Posts: 1 Newbie
    They sound pretty plausible if you aren't very computer literate. They do have a website. They have just cold-called me and they knew my full name. They sound Indian. I turned on the computer as suggested, and he got me to type in an odd collection of letters into RUN on the start menu. When my computer said it couldn't find this program, he said well my computer must be very badly infected already, and had donloaded a trojan virus to block me seeing the problem. I said that I had anti-virus software installed and it seemd to be OK. He then said to type in eventvwr into RUN and tell him what I saw. I had opened event viewer and saw thousands of items: i information, and hundreds of yellow triangle warnings and red X errors when I further pressed on 'application' as instructed. In fact I can repeat and view these now. All are from the last 4 months or so. He said this showed my computer was heavily infected and it was surprising that it was running at all. He warned me not to click on any of the items!
    I said that that was all very interesting but I was concerned that they weren't a genuine company and that they hadn't said their company name or who they were and what their website was and what their phone no. was, and how they had obtained my name and phone number. I was passed to the 'superviser' who went through much of the same spiel but eventually told me the name supportonclick and I could view their website and that they have my details from "local surveys" and because I am a valued client etc. and that they will accept payment in many ways for their computer support services. I typed the name into google as he was talking and saw many entries from around the world and the strong suggestion that it is all a scam. Eventually I said I didn't want to continue the conversation and hung up.
    I don't know how they can get your phone no. and name but I don't like that they could have done so. Maybe from TalkTalk my ISP? Their other suppositions were probably fortuitous - yes I have a computer, yes I use Microsoft Windows, yes my computer is not as fast as it was.
    Beware. Although they are pretty plausible, I am pretty sure it is a scam. Can anyone clever tell me what all that stuff in event viewer is and whether it means anything?
    Thanks.
    350186 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hi,

Had a call from my father last night who had had an unsolicited call from Support on Click. Unfortunatley he allowed them access to his PC, but eventually stopped short of them actually taking any money from his bank account. The account has been stopped etc. so no worries there.

However, my concern is now the ongoing security of his PC.

I tried called them in India (via UK number) and a manager very strongly told me it is none of my business how they accessed his PC and that once session ended they could not access his PC again.

All well and good if his company had an credibility or was believable, but their marketing strategy removes any faith I have there..

So, to my question.....

Does anyone have any idea what software may have been used to access my Dad's PC, so I can uninstall it, and is there any indication that anything mallicious will heva been left on PC (key-logger etc.) that we should be worried about.

Any comments would be appreicated.

Andrew
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    350186 wrote: »
    Hi,

Had a call from my father last night who had had an unsolicited call from Support on Click. Unfortunatley he allowed them access to his PC, but eventually stopped short of them actually taking any money from his bank account. The account has been stopped etc. so no worries there.

However, my concern is now the ongoing security of his PC.

I tried called them in India (via UK number) and a manager very strongly told me it is none of my business how they accessed his PC and that once session ended they could not access his PC again.

All well and good if his company had an credibility or was believable, but their marketing strategy removes any faith I have there..

So, to my question.....

Does anyone have any idea what software may have been used to access my Dad's PC, so I can uninstall it, and is there any indication that anything mallicious will heva been left on PC (key-logger etc.) that we should be worried about.

Any comments would be appreicated.

Andrew

There's lots of software they may have used, it may be one session, it may not be. Look under the 'add new programs' in Control Panel and you can list the installed software by date of last usage, that way you can ID anything installed on the relevant date. To be safe I suggest you do a System Restore back to the first date before remote access was allowed.
    Also I suggest you ensure that your father is running proper antivirus/antispywaresoftware and that this is up to date. If he's unwise enough to allow access to a complete stranger then it's likely he is not using proper security either.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Any company who's 'about us' on the website includes

"Support On Click" is an online technical support system & the people & technology have been battle-tested in many corporate for nearly 20 years.

Is obviously not worth dealing with.

Windows XP includes 'by default' an option to allow remote desktop support, and is facilitated through the use of windows messenger. If you remove windows messenger, you can still download windows live messenger (which is similar but different) and used to be the old msn messenger, your account holds all your contacts so easy to switch, and no more remote desktop.
    Just look here to do so.
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm
    I would recommend using the manual technique.

Then, make sure you have anti virus.
    free.avg.com
    or spend a fortune on something else.

How they get your details. No idea. Electoral register, Phone book, personal website, collected from stolen government cd, sold by tesco?

Something I recommend is using slightly different spellings of your name or home address when contacting and buying companies. This allows you to find out who is selling your details, and legitimate dealings get through cause they are basically accurate.
    For the internet, use throwaway email address's that link to a gmail address, and then just label what comes in from each address.

Bit of hassle, but lets you know where to direct complaint.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke
  • gaming_guy
    gaming_guy Posts: 6,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 12 June 2012 at 10:55AM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business