Home Telephone Tariff - discussion area

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now I am confused!...i have just bought a new house so looking to set up evrything really...i dont use landline much and never during the day...iam very temtped by telecom plus, taking advantage of their gas and electricity deal..can anyone who is not a telecom plus referrer advise me on this?Is Talk Talk cheaper?
  • System
    Options
    I have read Martin's Telephone article, and without doing as much research i appreciate i think for a low call user the
    talk240 tariff is the cheapest.

This is slightly more for calls than talk70, but with 240 free minutes off off peak minutes you can use the phone for up to four hours off peak without TALKTALK receiving a penny.

Any suggestions to this opinion welcomed.

Col S.
  • System
    Options
    I was contacted by NTL claiming that their service over a bt line via a plug in device, was much cheaper, as internet calls were free and telephone charge was as little as £15 per month. Could you please tell me wether there are any hidden charges and if its a better deal than the basic bt option.

Thanks, Ian.
  • System
    Options
    Having looked at many of the call providers around, I found Tiscali to offer the best prices (no conection charges and charge is per min :))with call packages to suit all types of call users. Definitely worth a look if your looking to save money on your calls for local and national, international and to mobiles and want to just use the phone as you currently do without having to pre-dial codes. Also, If you have an Orange contract mobile, you can route onto Tiscali network using a free 0800 number that Tiscali provide. The calls are charged at the same rate as if using a landline phone. e.g. Call USA from your Mobile for 3p/min. Log onto https://www.simple4u.co.uk and click services then SmartTalk, for full details.
  • sylblake
    sylblake Posts: 113 Forumite
    Options
    I don't recall seeing Tiscali mentioned in Martin's guide to phone charges. I was thinking of changing to talktalk, do you think Tiscali would be cheaper. Also, does the discount for Orange phone users also apply to pay as you go Orange users. Thanks
    Be ALERT - The world needs more LERTS
  • System
    Options
    I have recently moved to TALKTALK from The Carphone Warehouse,and i am saving about £20 a month comapred to my past BT vills....If anyone out there is using BT,i strongly recommend you look into TALKTALK at your local Carphone WArehouse store......Its a great deal.... ;D
  • Dannyboy_4
    Options
    I have recently moved to TALKTALK from The Carphone Warehouse,and i am saving about £20 a month comapred to my past BT vills....If anyone out there is using BT,i strongly recommend you look into TALKTALK at your local Carphone WArehouse store......Its a great deal.... ;D

And if you order TalkTalk via Sainsburys website you get Nectar points as well...

Danny.
  • System
    Options
    I have read Martin's Telephone article, and without doing as much research i appreciate i think for a low call user the
    talk240 tariff is the cheapest.

This is slightly more for calls than talk70, but with 240 free minutes off off peak minutes you can use the phone for up to four hours off peak without TALKTALK receiving a penny.

======================================

Col S,

If you can guarantee that you are not going over the 4 hours then it's a good idea.
    However I don't agree that that the calls are "slightly more".
    Talk70 is 5.5p for 70 minutes off peak.
    Talk240 is 0.95p per min off peak so 57p per hour.
    That is a significant difference, so I guess the problem is that you only have to blink past the 4 hour mark and you're paying a lot more.
    I guess this is why talk70 is generally recommended rather than talk240.

4 hrs sounds like a lot but it's only 8 mins per day.
    Unless you definitely know you'll use less than 4 hours or are going to time yourself like a hawk then I guess in general talk70 is better for most people.

Hope that helps
  • System
    Options
    Yes LISA,

but as i think you mentioned, if you use Bt's 1280 prefix on talktalk you can also get another £2.15 a month of free calls as your call allowance.

But obviously if you are on the phone hour after hour then talk70 is far better than talk240.

I will stay with 240 until i check my first couple of bills and work it out from there.

By the Way Does anyone know if talk240's FREE minutes still get charged the 5p min call charge??
    Thx.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Col,

Are you aware that talk240 is 4 hours of LOCAL calls.
    I am a low user but most of my family do not live in my local area and are therefore national calls.

I therefore believe that talk70 is better for me.

Taken from the website:

240 minutes of evening or weekend local calls for free!

You may aready know that but just wanted to make that clear to others reading.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure