Home Telephone Tariff - discussion area

in Phones & TV
365 replies 32.9K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
8.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
Please post your points - questions and tips about home phone tariffs here.

The article this relates to is here however do note this article has been updated since the discussion was started.
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• GarretGarret Forumite
    64 Posts
    I await with bated breath (or is it baited breath?) the new round up of the phone companies' charges and the cheapest tarrifs in Martin's article coming out on Monday. Oh the thrill! The anticipation! The shear joy of getting one over the phone companies!

Okay, I could get the Sunday Express tomorrow and read it all there, but one of my neighbours might see me buying it so I will have to await its posting to this web site. Post early Martin, post early!

Garret
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I shall ignore the Sunday Express jibe :)

However in fact the article on the site is twice as long and detailed as the Express piece :) and you may just find it on here sunday
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
  • PalPal Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Presumably the version in the Express has the long words removed and at least one picture of a phone with a nice easy to understand caption?

;)
  • pakmanpakman Forumite
    25 Posts
    i don't understand........

Wot are you saying about the inteligence of the 'Express' readers.

Pak ;)
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wasn't too sure what would be best for me as I seem to be not a normal user of telephone services

I use home phone line:
    approximately 90 mins of off peak internet per day (BT dial-up)
    30 mins per week or less of local/national calls (BT)
    occaisonal internationall call to USA (OneTel)
    1571 call answerphone service (BT)
    Other calls I make are via my Virgin mobile pay as you go service.

I can highly recommend Onetel for the calls to America are charged to 3p per minute!! Don't know anywhere that beats that and still beats BT reduce internal charging by loads (70% cheaper I believe).

But, can anyone recommend a better package for me than BTinternet and BTtogether package I now have - (it seems a bit expensive for minimal use)?

Anyone help me out with that? A better package elsewhere - would I be better off using onetel for everthing?

Thanks
    Jeff
  • markedgarmarkedgar Forumite
    61 Posts
    Jeff,

Have a look at https://www.mobiles-and-more.co.uk (Telecom plus).

It really depends on your usage, however, Telecom plus offer a dial-up Internet service (go-plus) for 1p per minute anytime (at £1.76 per month if you are not a telephone customer or only a penny minute if you are). They also offer 60 minutes anytime per day for £9.99 per month (plus a penny a minute thereafter). ADSL broadband is also available with free connection until the end of June (if you can get it in your area).

OneTel and Telediscount are good for international calls.

When do you make your local/national calls Jeff?

Where do you make your Virgin mobile calls to and when?

Hope this helps.

;)Mark E
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    OK some general points in response to Jeff that may help everyone

i. Consider internet seperately - as long as you have a BT line - even if it is not your calls provider you can use others. (see my article on cheap internet). Then read the article discounting your net usage.

ii. 30 min a week - is 2 1/4hours a month - assuming it is not daytime - this means you need a very basic tariff. Talk Talk is the cheapest in this case.

iii. For the USA - Telediscount is 2p a min at all times this can be used with Talk Talk as noted in the article (and there are links at the end of the article to other deals on how this works

iv. Telecom Plus as esposed by Mark while commonly said to have good service, especially by those who act and profit as refers, is not particularly cheap. It is only worth doing for very low use callers who also get its gas and electricity. It's £10 unlimited internet is beatable - and its 1p a minute net is equalled by One-Tel and halved in price by MIP. (see net article). Sorry about that - but I occassionally get slightly disquieted many people punt Telecom Plus heavily, but more often than not they are referrers. Having done the numbers it is only worth doing in specific circumstances and is beatable by the best standalone operators in most other.

Hope this is useful

martin
  • GarretGarret Forumite
    64 Posts
    One of the nice things about the heavy user deal Martins suggests is that, according to Onetel's literature, their unlimited calls deal is actually unlimited.

All the other companies start to charge you if the call length goes over an hour. The way round this is to redial but during a business call it is just looks crap to have to say "I'll call you straight back so I don't have to pay for the call." Ditto a romantic phonecall. Even Talktalk start to charge after 70 minutes.

Onetel claims the call can be as long as you like for no charge - it would be interesting to arrange a relay team to make a phonecall around the clock for a month or two and see what Onetel does. We might make the Guiness Book of Records.

Garret

PS Telecom Plus don't even appear to be offering unlimited internet access (except broadband, for which they are expensive) for a tenner a month. They are offering 60 minutes 'free' per day and charge per minute there after.

PPS If I use a carrier pre-select service and call diversion, who does the diverted call go through? Bt or the new call carrier? I called Onetel who said that call divert is just not compatible with carrier pre-select and I called Powergen who said it is, and the re-routed calls would go with them.

PPS Powergen told me they aren't taking any new customers at the moment until their CPS system is set up!!!!!!!!!

PPPS Onetel say they aren't starting their service until 8am on the 23rd of this month.

[That's enough PSs, Ed.]
  • DarrylDarryl Forumite
    218 Posts
    Martin

Liked your article. One thing to add though - you don't mention calls to 0870 and 0845 numbers. Given the amount of these type of calls I make, I took a look at the TalkTalk package terms - and found that under the unlimited calls package even calls to these type of numbers are FREE!

I currently have the NTL unlimited package, but this deal still charges for 0870 and 0845 calls... :o

I'll be switching just as soon as I can... :D

Darryl.
    ... Fool's Gold ...
  • GarretGarret Forumite
    64 Posts
    0870 numbers free?! That is a bit of a bargain. In theory you could get one of these 0870 numbers on a second line - some retailers will actually give you a per minute credit - yes credit, they pay you for any incoming call on the line. Then you phone yourself from your Talktalk line and actually make money on the deal!!! I feel I must be missing something here!

G
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News