Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    martindow wrote:
    We've had some success with a humane trap
    http://www.trapman.co.uk/mouse-traps.htm
    This catches them by the family - apparently it can hold up to 20 mice. Mice tend to run along by the skirting board so it is best placed there near any droppings. We bait it with bits of chocolate and then drive the mice off a distance and let them go in a hedge. If you release them in your garden they will just find their way back in. You do need to check it every day otherwise it is not very humane as mice slowly starve to death.
    I think the idea of taking your caught mice for a ride and then releasing them to plague someone else isn't very kind to your fellow humans. Far better to kill them, they are a pest. If you do continue to take them for a drive be sure you take them MORE than 3 miles away as there is research to prove they can return from that distance. They also managed to cross a river so not sure how that was accomplished.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • xxxdarlingxxx
    Options
    I know this is really silly and girly but, I might, just might be able to empty a trap with a dead mouse in it in daylight when none were about.

There is not evev a remote possibilty of me lifing a box containing live mice and carting it off in the car !
    xxxdxxx

With compassision, good manners, kindness and dignity as your ticket you will travel far in life.
  • mrs_baggins
    Options
    i used to work for council pest control and you have my symapthy. as afr as I know there were certainly no restrictions as to how many times they can be called but as the other posters said they only need something the size of a pencil to get in so probably thats not going to happen.when the council men call they should bait your loft-is this what they are doing? also the dont call out to get rid of the bodies- what seems to happen is they have the poison-which they are attracted to- eat it then go back home and hopefully die there! perhaps they should also be baiting outside as well where they may be getting in.sorry I cant be more help
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    I have lived in a house in the middle of a field for 4 years and have 4 of those plug ins and they certainly seem to work as I have never had a mouse.
    travelover
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    Would it be outside the realms of possibility to get a cat? An older cat really isn't so much of a commintment as a kitten and it's a huge deterrent for mice.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    I havent read all of the replies, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

I wont go into deatils as quite embaressing although through no fault of mine, but we had an outbreak of rats due to a neighbour.
    We tried everything, but we bought one of those sonic things, and we havent seen any rats now for months.
  • xxxdarlingxxx
    Options
    "when the council men call they should bait your loft-is this what they are doing? " Yes the loft is where they have put the poison.

"They should also be baiting outside as well where they may be getting in" - I will ask the to do this as well.

Thanks for the advice, there sounded to be only one last night - so a move in the right direction.
    xxxdxxx

With compassision, good manners, kindness and dignity as your ticket you will travel far in life.
  • WelshLamb
    WelshLamb Posts: 835 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Don't remember the names, but can anyone recommend and confirm that these plug in thingies actually deter mice? Had a mouse in the house this morning and want to make sure they keep away!

thanks;)
    ;)
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have never used one but I saw one in B&Q the other day in the Sale if you do decide to get one
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • pennypuppy
    pennypuppy Posts: 722 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sis is living on a building site at moment and is pestered. She has two and swears they dont work. She also has become an expert at mouse traps...there are ones in B&Q cost a fiver with a black base and with square shaped wires that are brill, one is a handle and you can reuse these without touching any yeuk. The mice who are really clever and can beat all the other traps are gonners with these. I also suggest putting things like your spare sheets etc from the hotpress in a plastic tub, they always seem to go there and it saves heaps of washing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback