Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• lill
    lill Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone who is worried about using poison because of domestic animals / kids etc. you could always try http://www.eradibait.com/buy_online.htm it works by interfering with the rodents digestive process and does not affect other animals. Not sure how effective it is as I only got mine in the post yesterday.
  • ELIZA_D
    ELIZA_D Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK.....Just had my windows and doors replaced last week.
    Sitting on the back step a few days ago looking through my new french windows thinking how lovely it all looks and saw what i thought was a mouse running on the mat in the dining room. Got a humane trap and set it.
    Tonight...watchin a dvd with my son in his bedroom.......saw the "rat" run in the room and stop...i jumped up and made an exclamation and it darted into my sons dr who wardrobe.....
    !!!!!! !! Can they climb open stairs ?? Have i got more than one???
    Threw my kids in the car and drove to stay over at a friends as i cant sleep tonight........feel like i am in a bushtucker trial.....
    shall i call in the exterminaters or council or what??????
  • babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    ELIZA_D wrote: »
    OK.....Just had my windows and doors replaced last week.
    Sitting on the back step a few days ago looking through my new french windows thinking how lovely it all looks and saw what i thought was a mouse running on the mat in the dining room. Got a humane trap and set it.
    Tonight...watchin a dvd with my son in his bedroom.......saw the "rat" run in the room and stop...i jumped up and made an exclamation and it darted into my sons dr who wardrobe.....
    !!!!!! !! Can they climb open stairs ?? Have i got more than one???
    Threw my kids in the car and drove to stay over at a friends as i cant sleep tonight........feel like i am in a bushtucker trial.....
    shall i call in the exterminaters or council or what??????

Yep they climb. They can also jump too. I had pet rats and once, while I was standing upright, one of them jumped from the floor to my hand.

More likely it has a hole from the outside, rather than it openly running through the house.

If I were you I'd call the council. They should either come and sort it or tell you what to do.

Tame rats are one thing, but wild ones can be quite vicious - esp when defending themselves.

They are sociable animals, so there may be more. I don't want to worry you though. They will keep clear of people most of the time.
    Looking forward to the future.
  • ELIZA_D
    Options
    babs2008 wrote: »
    Yep they climb. They can also jump too. I had pet rats and once, while I was standing upright, one of them jumped from the floor to my hand.

More likely it has a hole from the outside, rather than it openly running through the house.

If I were you I'd call the council. They should either come and sort it or tell you what to do.

Tame rats are one thing, but wild ones can be quite vicious - esp when defending themselves.

They are sociable animals, so there may be more. I don't want to worry you though. They will keep clear of people most of the time.

Thankyou for your response....have been refreshing my post continually !!
    Will contact the council when i wake .
  • ELIZA_D
    Options
    told my family who are on their way with rat poison,saying that is the only way to get rid
  • babs2008
    babs2008 Posts: 576 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know what I'd do, but a friend tried traps. But, the trap only got the tail - meaning you have a live rat in a trap and need some other way to get rid of it (this involved a broom handle and bashing it on the head).

I'll catch up with her to see what she did in the end, and if she's rat free now. It was in Edinburgh, and the council there don't help at all.

Vermin are bad, but unneccessary suffering is worse. Poison may be the only way to go. If food is poisoned they will take it to the nest if there is one.

Let me know what the council say. I'm sure they'll help. Once, a few years ago, they came to smoke out a wasps nest at my mother's house.

Hope you get some sleep and don't fret all night.
    Looking forward to the future.
  • tindella
    tindella Posts: 109 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - I've just discovered that mice have been in my car - they've nibbled some of my upholstery and a bit of the cable cover under the bonnet.

I've put some rat poison in little jam pot lids and put one in the boot and one in the passenger footwell. Is it OK to put this stuff in the bonnet as well? Can I buy some spray for the car to put them off? :confused:

Cheers
  • ELIZA_D
    Options
    well......house has been baited for 3 days now while we have had a holiday from home !
    Nothing has been taken......at all ? So they either dont live with me or have been eating out !
  • trendygal
    Options
    My first post so please be gentle with me....

I first noticed mouse activity in my home last tuesday evening, heard scurrying and scratching while watching TV.
    Next day, i realized my darling son had a bag of sweets in his room, left over from Halloween, I picked up the bag and went outside, realized there was something in it when it "rustled" let out an almighty scream and my next door neighbour came out. He emptied the bag, out came a mouse (HUGE it was) and he promtly stamped on it. (My Hero!!) since then, more mousey activity and I have come to realize that they are all over my estate, (we live in row houses) I have bought one of those whole house plug in devices (plugged it in on Friday afternnon) and also my sympathetic pal sent me two she had ordered from the shopping channel (they arrived yesterday). So...since yesterday, I have had 3 devices in my house but last night there was still scratching (maybe only from one mousey and it was very brief) at 1am this morning!. I am at my witts end, I am not sleeping, not eating and I am a nervous wreck, my poor son doesnt know whether he's coming or going with my mood swings!!. I am really hoping that these devices do eventually drive them out as catching and Killing/disposing of them is not an option for me at all being a lone female and totally squeamish where mousey things are concerned.
    Can anyone please help???.... I am going crazy here, paranoid to the point of any little noise driving me out of the house just so that I am not alone.
    Please, please, please can anyone help me.
    PS... also heard that they dont like pure essential peppermint oil, so the whole house is covered in that now too. Dunno if that will help but i am willing to try anything. (note that this is essential oil and NOT peppermint extract that is used for baking etc)
  • pbfhpunk
    pbfhpunk Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    We got some realyl good traps called revolver traps, got them as I didn't want to see the dead mouse - and if I can't see it I don't know what happened to it.

They're little traps about the size of a saucer, that havea mouse hole in, you put bait in the middle the mouse goes in and the trap revolvers and seals (these aren't humane traps so I know the revolving will include killing them!) then when there's one yo upick it p and bin it, or cremamte it. There are indicators on the top telling you when it's set and when soemthing's been caught. at no time do yo usee the mouse or come into contact with it.

I considered humane traps until 1) I was told that no matter how far away you release them they'll come back plus they'll be mor ein the house anyway and 2) they ate part of my Radley handbag and chewed holes in several items of clothing we had hanging on the clothes airer.

I tell you, the morning I saw my chewed hand bag (xmas present from my folks a couple of years ago ) I wanted to rip the mouse limb from limb!!

We now have the primrose plug in things, a couple more revolver traps and some poison down.
    Hell yeah!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure