Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• fraz_babe
    fraz_babe Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all this is going to be a long thread. Sorry.

I have lived in my house for 17 years, never once had problems. About a year and half ago a woman moved in, with 5 children in a 3 bedroomed house with her boyfriend as well. For about 3/4 months we have had mice/rats. And its gettin serious now. Im going to end up having a nervous break down.

About 3 or 4 months ago we started having rats. And cut a long story short they have got another house now. Its a council house 3 bedrooms but is privately owned she had a landlord, but we dont think he /she knows he has she was on the social and has just up and gone.

We have 3 dogs. We cant leave food down for them for as long as possible. I was in the kitchen last night, about 11:30pm. And i moved something on out side,and a rat ran on our side and jumped on the floor. And the council have put us poison down for the rats too, and in the airing cuboard last night where we had a glue pad where it gradually kills a rat we had a yelpin noise from a rat, and as nasty as it is we at to get a friend to kill it for us (hit it) because if we let it go it would only come back.

Went round our neighbours today because they have gone. And there is !!!!!! nappies, and my friend (next door neighbour but one) picked a childrens toy up and two rats ran up the garden. We looked in the house the house is a TIP. And i mean a tip . There is all food on the floor, rubbish bags with rubbish in, chip fat on the cooker etc etc. !!!!!! nappies !

We have had traps for 3/4 months, all the ones you can think of ! Eletric ones , a rotating door one, and lots more. We have had the council coming twice so far, and he is coming tomorrow which is meant to be the last visit but i certainly hope not when he see's next doors garden.

I know it wont happen over nigh t but i was looking for some advice and a rant too, sorry MSE.

I have called the estate agents to get the number of the landlord but it is not accepting calls. Council do not know who the landlord is either.

But we are losing a battle because with all the stuff outside next door !!!!!! nappies, food, etc they wont go.

And im going to end up having to move out my house until its sorted. Im constantly scared incase i see one. And they are getting on our side boards (in the kitchen).

And it makes us itch all the time.

Hope this is the right board to post on ! thanks !

EDIT : Please excuse my grammar, i wanted to get it all out ASAP.
    Proud mummy to 3 beautiful children who I love so so much :oxxxx

Baby girl due april 2016! cant wait to meet her. xxx
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have you called environmental health?

if you are a council tenant then you should also demand that they send their pest control people to sort the problem out - this would include cleaning the neighbouring property and recharging the ownder for the work. I assume the property that is rat-infested was a council house? if so then the council (as the freeholder) should have a record of who is the leaseholder.
  • mirrorimage0
    Options
    so sorry to hear this, we had a rat problem when we first moved into ours (our fault really we knocked down a large coal bunker and didnt realise thats where they lived) we had poisen put down but they went under the floorboards and died so we ended up with lots and lots of flies so not pleasent, we ended up with a few caught in traps but a good thing we bought (well we didnt see any rats for a week until it ran out anyway) was a plug in thing with a red light that made them stay away.

the absolutley best thing we ever got was two rescue cats we havent seen any rats at all and only the odd mice they have brought in themselves

hope you get it sorted soon its so unpleasent but they will keep coming back until the neighbours house is sorted just make sure your dogs cant get to the poisen
    now proud mum to 3 handsome boys :j latest one born 10/10/11:j
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    You can get a device from B & Q that plugs in a socket it makes a noise they hate and so they will not come near your house. I got one for my mother when she had a mouse. Not sure if your dogs would be able to hear it.
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lowis wrote: »
    have you called environmental health?

if you are a council tenant then you should also demand that they send their pest control people to sort the problem out - this would include cleaning the neighbouring property and recharging the ownder for the work. I assume the property that is rat-infested was a council house? if so then the council (as the freeholder) should have a record of who is the leaseholder.

Lowis is right, call environmental health ASAP.

There's little point trying to get rid of the rats when there is so much food for them. Once the filth is cleared up pest control will be able to help.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • fraz_babe
    fraz_babe Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you very much for the replies. All helpful !

Sorry for the long thread. I will be calling environmental health tomorrow but i think my partner has already rang them. Will check when he gets home, thank you xx
    Proud mummy to 3 beautiful children who I love so so much :oxxxx

Baby girl due april 2016! cant wait to meet her. xxx
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    My pensioner mother lives in a Housing Association property (London Quarant in SE London) and for the past year mice and cockroaches started mostly likely due to lodgers in the flat below living dirty and we cannot get rid of them (mouse trap caught loads, insect sprays etc for roaches). Just lastnight I caught a mice in the living room. I have blocked off every gap/hole I know in the property to prevent the mice coming through.

I spoke to the landlord numerous times - London Quarant, they say its the job of the council. The council say they will charge £60 odd to get people in.

I dont think these mice and especially cockroaches can be get rid of in one visit as the property is a masionette and the 2 adjacent property also has mice and roaches spread to them (these are privately owned). So all 4 properties are affected.

What I want to know is the landlord right in saying its for the council to deal with and we have to pay. Is there any other method to get the landlord to pay for these treatment?

I would appreciate all your respond thanks.
  • lowis
    lowis Posts: 1,952 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    is this the same ultra-sonic technology that gets rid of cats, that didn't actually work when my mum tried it? and this is the 6th time you have recommended this product...in the 6 posts that you have made...
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Has anyone ever used anything like this
    http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=311&storeId=91&productId=13602&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=17078&parents_parent_category_rn=17054&top_category_rn=10351&showSubCategory=yes&top=Y&cache_entry=-1

Wondered if they were any good? And are they safe to use near chooks! I don't have a noticeable problem with mice but thought they sounded like a good idea to keep the little varmints away from my chooks!
    :hello: :wave: please play nicely children !
  • ISIOTB
    ISIOTB Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    First post so please bear with me.

We've just had a baby, and last year I discovered our house had mice in it. I desperately need to get rid of them, especially now we've got a baby and hygiene is paramount.

I've caught seven mice in a year and I'm getting sick of it. I thought the problem had gone away this summer because we went a few months with no sign of one, but just last week I caught another and this morning the (humane) trap has closed and moved - yet another mouse, this time got away.

More worryingly, I recently mentioned this to the neighbours and they said that previous occupants of the house had the same problems.

Short of tearing the house down or simply moving (which is starting to look appealing but sadly not possible at the moment),

what can I do to get rid of them???

Im at my wits end with this.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport