Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Options

Comments

• annaangeluk_2
    Options
    Sorry if this isn;t the right place to post this!

My neighbour has just been round to tell me that she has seen big rats in my garden :eek: :eek: :eek: . She has only noticed them since my neighbours on the other side have moved and taken their big dogs with them.

What the hell do I do about them?? My garden is about 150 feet long plus a patio area and 30+ feet wide and admitedly in a terrible state. I've only lived here about 7months and haven't got round to doing the garden yet.

Will sorting out the garden be the solution (the grass is quite high) or do I need to get someone out? If so how much will that cost me?

Also, what are the chances of rats coming into the house????? I feel sick at the thought of it.

Thanks in advance

Anna x
    Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
    -6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello annaangeluk

I've merged your thread with this existing big thread. It has lots of useful information in it.;)

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • sebastianj
    sebastianj Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello all,
    People have been calling pest control in our area, I have now moticed mice trying to cut through the floor boards. A couple of holes appeared in the skerting boards which we have plugged but how do we move them from beneath the floor boards?

I am sure the same group keeps annoying the whole neighbourhood. Any ideas most welcome.

kind regards,
    seb
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    i caught 18 with a normal trap in 3-4 days
    they've not been back
  • whitts
    whitts Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not sure where you live, but try your council as mine come and sort them out for free.
  • tubbee2
    tubbee2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Borrow a cat or a Jack Russell/Yorkshire Terrier type dog (small breed bred for rat catching) let them wander around where the mice are planning their attack. Then put traps down (you can try the humane variety but quite frankly the mice just laugh their heads off and ignore them) baited with Snickers. Don't use poison unless you want the smell of putrefied mouse to permeate your house for months to come. I live in the country and we often get mice in the outbuildings and occasionally in the house, but I find a mixture of the above gets rid of them until the next generation of opportunists tries their luck. Good luck
    Artificial intelligence - no match for natural stupidity
  • sebastianj
    sebastianj Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have used a trap over the past few weeks and have caught about 8 of them mostly babies. Then we had the problem of getting rid of it as no one wants to kill an innocent looking baby, took them away and let them loose.
    NickJ which trap you used?
    rgd seb
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    sebastianj wrote: »
    We have used a trap over the past few weeks and have caught about 8 of them mostly babies. Then we had the problem of getting rid of it as no one wants to kill an innocent looking baby, took them away and let them loose.
    NickJ which trap you used?
    rgd seb

just a traditional one , spring loaded , i- think i put some chocolate as bait which they seemed to like
  • JR19
    JR19 Posts: 106 Forumite
    Options
    tykervic wrote: »
    We returned from holiday in April to find the mice had moved into our pantry, via a hole in the kitchen floor underneath the kitchen sink :(

We initially bated with poison, but ordered some of the sonic devices, but the ones that work along the household wiring (one for upstairs and one down), rather than just in the room it's positioned in. I got them from here: http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=24_25&products_id=36

Touch wood, we've not had any activity since.

Bought the device from 'primrose-london', too and have to admit I was sceptical at first, but pleased to say that after plugging the device in, I haven't had any mice since. The other plus is that I've found the device to be 'rabbit-friendly'.:T
    :icotbaske
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure