April 2009 Grocery Challenge - Page 46

New Post Advanced Search

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
710 replies 47.9K views

Replies

• tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another £3 for me.

Went to treat myself to egg on toast this morning and there was no bread. Only just enough milk for cereal. Why does no-one tell me these things?! :rotfl:

i feel your pain...they never tell me either:D

i popped to sainsburys last night and came across well reduced food;
    carbonara sauce ttd 15p
    pizza express pizza 99p
    ham and pineapple pizza 69p
    ttd raspberry yogurts 10p
    rhubarb fools 10p
    hummous 15p
    pitta bread 5p
    noddy yogurts x4 35p
    yeo valley organic yogurts x4 35p

i got £35 food for £6 which was nice...and all lovely quality...its great when u walk in at just the right time....the pizza was nice because we ate it at lunch....i always like it when u can buy stuff cheaper than u can make it

using up cooked chicken for tea...not sure in what format...possibly mixed with mayo and a salad ...ive got some nice salad potatoes that would be nice with that

have a good day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • gunsandbanjosgunsandbanjos Forumite
    12.2K posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    Not too much over this week - thought i was going to be really bad. Just have to be extra frugal next week:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • searching_mesearching_me Forumite
    18.4K posts
    i spent a couple of quid today getting dog food and a couple of bits :D im being good though nothing i dont need :D x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Hi,

Am new to this and thinking about having a go at the May challenge (when it starts).

Just wanted to get a benchmark for my current spending. We spend £30 a week (or there abouts) for 2 adults. I think this is pretty good going considering we don't have a freezer.

What do you think?
  • SunnyGirlSunnyGirl Forumite
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    sistercas wrote: »
    wish mine were doing as well as yours every time I look at them they are munching on easter eggs!
    Don't be too impressed they ate all their eggs over last weekend :rotfl: so have had none to munch all week. It was choccie for breakfast for about 3 days in this house :eek: :D
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just found a cheap and cheerful recipe for baked bean tart and added it to the front index; one of those recipes that's useful when the end of the money arrives before the end-of-the-month ...... :D

Welcome to the newbies :hello: lots of help and advice here. I'm about halfway through my month and need to tot up spends to see how I'm doing but feeling optimistic.
    Good luck! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sistercas wrote: »
    just spent £19.81 in coop, I only went for bread :o
    ended up getting ritz crackers and cottage cheese ( just fancied it)
    cat food ( whiskers 24 pouches £5.50)
    got a huge cauli for 45p (whoopsied)
    4 lamb chump steaks £2.90 ( whoopsied)
    cheese ( for cauli :D)
    bread ( obviously)
    and some other stuff I cant even remember :o

off to update sig
    At least you remembered the bread :D

I've done a bit of an inventory tonight (of the freezer anyway)

From what I can remember I have:

• 6xlamb chops
    • lamb shoulder
    • bag of unidentified lamb bits (My dad comes down from Up North with a bag full of lamb/venison for me every few months) He just doesn't always label it. :rotfl: Whatever it is will cook fine in the slow cooker :D
    • Whole chicken
    • Sausages
    • Mince 500g
    • Stewing steak 500g
    • Chicken soup - home made - enough for two portions
    • Bolognaise - two portions
    • Shepherds pie - should feed three, so our flatmate will be happy
    • Lamb leftovermush - made in the slowcooker and really tasty but not thought out enough to be a casserole :rotfl: Enough to feed two or three I would think
    My grocery challenge finishes on the 22nd, and I am normally counting down the days until payday but I have done pretty well this month. As you will see from the list, I'm beginning to get the hang of batch cooking. Normally I would just eat the same meal for two or three days, but it makes sense to have these things in the freezer in case I have to work late or I just get home late and can't be bothered cooking :D My current plan is to buy no more meat until all of the above is finished (The meat anyway, I will almost certainly end up with more "ready meals")

Hope everyone else is getting on ok.

f_f
  • Hi everyone

I went out today to buy some milk, and am very proud of myself, walked into the shop, picked up a carton of milk, paid my £0.54p and left and went straight home, wow! Am so chuffed. I came home and made some Gluten Free Hot Cross Buns and Tortillas instead.

Takes my monthly spend to £25.76 and payday is next Friday, so am well within my limit so far. Just got to keep it going for another week.

Cheers
    Casper
    x x
    LBM Feb 09[STRIKE] £64 427.32[/STRIKE] £13 700.59! Sub £15 000!
    DFD July 2018
    GC 01Dec ~ 30Dec £40.00 SSF £00.00
    NSD 00/20 WSC (08~14) £13.59 SSF £00.00 DFW Nerd 319 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!
    "Captain Jack Harkness! When will you learn that you can't solve every problem by shagging it?!"
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope everyone is managing on their grocery budgets, congratulations to those who are succeeding, comiserations to those who are finding it tough.

I've now hit £510.20 out of my annual budget of £1200. This is getting more and more difficult and it's quite shocking seeing how much foodstuffs are going up in price. Sugar will soon be £1 a bag at the rate it's increasing!! :eek:
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise and saving to build eco-cabins! :D
  • JanaeJanae Forumite
    177 posts
    Hi

Like kitten09 I'm also new to this - my first post!
    I've been a serious lurker for a while though and would like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone. I've found so much helpful information on this and other threads.
    Will definitely join the May challenge, just need to think about a figure for 2 adults and 2 teenagers.
    GC April 93.92/500