New Post Advanced Search

April 2009 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
710 replies 47.9K views

Replies

• kezloukezlou Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the recipe Mrs M sounds yummy, my kids will love them.

Well my meal plan has worked out so far:-

Monday:- Mushroom Rissoto with chicken stock ( two lots of this in the freezer)
    Tuesday :- out all day so ate out, very naughty, on a sep budget:o
    Wednesday:- chilli
    Thursday:- chicken and bacon pie + veg
    Friday:- stew (defrosting as we speak, just praying it hasn't gone off, freezer on the blink again)
    Saturday:- falafel burgers + salad
    Sunday:- lasagne + salad

Ended up going shopping today, again, word of advice never take OH :mad: with you shopping. By the time i got to the till, we had about £25 of stuff that i didn't even want. Only went in flour,onions butter and marg, came out with everything but them. Oh and then the shock of me saying were having pasta veg and pie, well boys and OH hit the roof and have demanded mash. So had to buy potatoes as well. grr men

Yesterday i made about 30 cheese, mash and bacon pasties only 10 have survived the boys (inc oh)so they now in freezer :money: saw the same things today Mr S for £3 for 10 and they were half the size of mine!! so well chuffed with that.

Making some falafel burgers today, for tomorrow:-
    450g chickpeas
    2 tsp ground coriander powder
    2 tsp ground cumin powder
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp chilli powder (i prefer fresh chillies but this if for the kids)
    1 handful of fresh Coriander chopped (optoinal)

2 tbs of chickpea flour or plain flour (to hold mixture together)
    salt (to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)

blend altogether and deep fry in very hot oil for 3 - 4mins till golden brown.
    you can keep them over night in the fridge just cover with a tea towel of kitchen roll

Off to my sisters tomorrow, weathers been terrible so no doubt will in doors all day tomorrow.
  • mooominmooomin Forumite
    13.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evening all!

With great trepidation I sent t'other half to Asda tonight for the shopping we needed. I couldn't go as I was working, and we have to give the car back to the owners this week (Our friends are on holiday and have lent it to us and return tonight) so we needed to get heavy stuff today!

Armed with a (very detailed) list, he got me:

Catsan (20L), 8 tins of value tomatoes, 5 tins of sweetcorn, Lazy Garlic (I love this stuff!), margarine, Chilli powder, dried parsley, frozen veg, onions, carrots, peppers, leeks, stock cubes, sandwich ham and loose garlic.

I had given him my last £20 in Asda vouchers from iPoints, so he only spent £7.25 in cash which I have been told not to bother repaying :j I am still going to add it to the grocery spend, as that will keep me on track, but will pay it to a debt tomorrow.

Hope you all have a lovely evening.

f_f
  • pink_princesspink_princess Forumite
    13.6K posts
    Thanks for the recipie MRS M ,only ever made it once and couldn t find it any where.Going to make it for tea tomorrow.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • Moonflower wrote: »
    Reporting in - Made a mistake in the last post I added the amount spent instead of taking away,daft.

Therefore £68 -17 =£51!!

Recent spends - Milk and Wine
    Wine and Milk!!
    Vegetables milk and wine.

£31

There seems to be a trend here, well sunny days in the garden,does that justify the near overspend?

Total left £20 until the end of the month

Hi, I have been quilty off spending money on wine. Until OH, said I would be better off buying a box. Surprisingly it does work out cheaper, as now I know its on tap I only have 1 or 2 glasses. I order mine with my monthly shop online. My reward for all my efforts.:D
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • Thats a great idea cornish pixie,does it taste ok.Will have a look in Sainsbugs.Thanks
    SPC £500 well will try very hard.

GC £6.16/£150
  • Savvy_sewingSavvy_sewing Forumite
    11.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had forgotten Dishwasher tablets, and the Asda delivery didnt have the full fat milk, so I called into our local somerfield this morning.
    Got 2 x 2pinters of milk reduced to 44p each.
    Bunch bananas from £1.45 to £0.96p
    dishwasher tablets, Shops own, £2.45. Signature updated.!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • JulimkJulimk Forumite
    349 posts
    Small top up shop today; should be the last of the month, as there is less than a week to go. And although there isn’t much left in the budget now, it should be enough for odds & sods like milk. So fingers crossed.

Wish had been able to keep the rest of the spending down. Biggest spend was a new TV, mind you the old one was older than DD! And some paint etc. Have been in the flat for nearly five years & it has not been redecorated, until now. DD is helping & we are having great fun, though more expense eating out a couple of times, as it is chaos indoors.
  • searching_mesearching_me Forumite
    18.4K posts
    hello everyone havent posted but i have been keeping track i got £38 left to last til next friday ... hmmmm cutting it close x
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • Someone posted on the grabbit board that Asda have their organic Yeo Valley semiskimmed for 30p for 1 litre! Not in every one unfortunately as i checked online - Link i can see it til i log in then it disappears. Is worth checking out though and stocking up if your store has it.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • Good morning everyone,

Just quickly updated my siggy:eek::eek:. Haven`t posted much as i`ve been busy keeping kids occupied during the school hols. They`ve eaten me out of house and home HELP:eek:, which is what I was expecting really, so although i`ve been batch cooking cakes and snacks, I seem to be constantly baking treats, just to keep up.

OH`s hours have been reduced, so will have to cut down a bit more as from next month. I will still keep the yearly budget the same as a incentive to myself, but will have to reduce the monthly budget a bit more. My budget includes all cleaning/laundry/food and booze.

Anyway hope evryone had a good Easter, back to normal:D next week when the kids are back to school.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70