We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

SAR Request's

Options
167891012»

Comments

• never-in-doubt
    never-in-doubt Posts: 20,613 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2009 at 9:11PM
    Options
    This happened to me right? i.e. the linked addresses on page 3 you refer to?
    :o 2010 - year of the troll :o

Niddy - Over & Out :wave:
  • savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    ah, was it yourself it involves HBOS and LloydsTSB. What caused them to come to their conclusions?
  • never-in-doubt
    edited 25 July 2009 at 9:23PM
    Options
    savagej wrote: »
    I have read this entire thread and have been trying to work something out, please dont get me wrong i am not trying to commit fraud.

Wouldn't matter if you were mate, each to their own lol :rotfl:
    I was just wondering how do the banks find out about undisclosed addresses as in the two CIFAS record images that are posted on page 3, via I think imageshack.

Via CRA's mate. In the case you refer to, i.e. my cifas from HBOS & Lloyds this is quite simple to explain. I have another person out there that shares my name and date of birth (weird or what!) who is in debt. Now, in the past i've only ever used one bank account and fell out with them a couple of years ago and so tried to open a new account with Halifax.

Halifax offered me a basic account and not being credit savvy accepted and used it for a couple of years until I tired to upgrade last October and got declined due to adverse data on my credit file. I know I have no credit so argued this and then got a copy of my report which showed this other person and his address added to my report :eek::eek::eek: (along with 50 defaults may I add!!!)

This then created a link - obviously because I never lived at this address I never used it when I applied to Lloyds & HBOS and so they added a cifas as they assumed that I was the other person and that I'd deliberately lied about my old address.

When I sent them in proof of my old address (i.e. mortgage statement) they still claim it's me and state I have multiple properties so i'm suing them as I can prove this to be totally false - how can they try and take me to court saying I lived somewhere that I never! LOL, its amusing - anyway.... this should explain why the cifas was added.
    Is it a simple case of the addresses are linked at the CRA and the person never mentioned it in their application (giving longer at their present address when it can clearly be seen activity was taking place at their previous address at this time), or can they search the entire say Experian database to look for you anywhere in the country, as that is the only way I can see them finding people.

Yes, this is one way of doing it. For instance, say I lived at 1 anyplace for the last 10 years and got into bad debt (rented property).... I then do a bunk and get another rented house telling no-one that i've moved. I then apply to council to get on E/R afterwhich I go to a bank and apply for a basic account and declare my being at current address for last 3yrs and the reason i'm not showing active is cos I used to get paid in cash so never had a bank. Reason i'm not on the E/R is cos I didn;t think it mattered. See how plausible it can be....

This then creates a new credit profile for you and within a year you'll be able to start all over again with mainstream cards etc and if the old debt were to show up, you can prove it wasn't you as your new credit profile will throw it off track by suggesting you lived elsewhere (i.e. where you currently live) but it'd show you living at the new address for the last 4 years when really you've been there just 1. Obviously when you apply for credit, no previous address will be necessary either.....

If however you had told any of the old lenders about your new address or apply to them, they will link you and then you'll be in a right old mess....

I hope this makes sense of it all for you matey :T:rotfl::T

• savagej
    savagej Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    edited 25 July 2009 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Cheers.

That makes sense.

Only the last part I have a question about, as I understand it you are saying as long as you do not get address linked by giving the CRA the details when you apply for a report, going to one of your old debtors, or giving them to the new bank then if you move you can virtually leave the past behind?

Edit: I think you must have edited your reply just as I was typing this out.

Thanks again.
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    Cheers.

That makes sense.

Only the last part I have a question about, as I understand it you are saying as long as you do not get address linked by giving the CRA the details when you apply for a report, going to one of your old debtors, or giving them to the new bank then if you move you can virtually leave the past behind?

Edit: I think you must have edited your reply just as I was typing this out.

Thanks again.

Yes mate - I elaborated on it to explain how it would work.....

Has that helped?

To answer in a nutshell, it is quite easy to hide and start over with a new credit profile by doing the following:

1. Move address - tell no one
    2. Get on the E/R
    3. Wait a year then apply for a basic account
    4. State you've lived at current address for 4 years (add 3 to the real date)
    5. After 6mth then apply for upgrade and get full account and a Credit Card
    6. After you've lived there 3yrs, then apply to the CRA for your file stating you lived there 6yrs which will then finalise the new credit profile as you only have to provide 6yrs address history - the other stuff on linked address would have also vanished by this point.

Dodgy but workable and happens quite a lot to be honest! Can only work if you give everything up, no keeping a mobile contract or anything that can link you so you pretty much start all over with no bank, no phone nothing! The minute you link to that old address then the cover is blown and you'll have it showing for 6yrs from the date they traced you! It can also only work if you rent - student usually take this approach as they are untraceable most their young lives so easy to do it. Right or wrong, thats the way it is...

• GraceCourt
    GraceCourt Posts: 317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 August 2009 at 3:04AM
    Options
    A signature is not necessary and so one will not be given.
    Well, unless I'm missing something here, it should be perfectly obvious to everyone why he's right about this - because CallCredit's two bigger competitors, Equifax and Experian, both let you apply for a statutory credit reference report (the £2 version) online via their Web sites... so, no signature!

Later edit: Ah, yes, I am missing something, this is in relation to a SAR, not an application for a statutory credit report. Sharpen up there, GraceCourt... :-)
  • never-in-doubt
    Options
    GraceCourt wrote: »
    Well, unless I'm missing something here, it should be perfectly obvious to everyone why he's right about this - because CallCredit's two bigger competitors, Equifax and Experian, both let you apply for a statutory credit reference report (the £2 version) online via their Web sites... so, no signature!

Later edit: Ah, yes, I am missing something, this is in relation to a SAR, not an application for a statutory credit report. Sharpen up there, GraceCourt... :-)

LOL, wakey wakey gracecourt :rotfl:

Bottom line is, callcredit sent me my credit report and they also communicated with me and never asked for I.D - so why then, why I SAR then do they ask for one? Its a bully tactic that should not be taken lightly by the consumer. The reason we do not give a signature is because they do not need it - they can vertify me electronically (the cheque I sent matches a live account on my credit report, my address shows me here on electoral register).....

I am right, just waiting to get judgement then i'll tell them to shove the SAR! I don;t want it, I couldn;t care less what they have about me cos no1 uses them for new account searches but it's the principle..... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills