Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Options
    DM, i bought an electric knife to slice my lc bread but it doesnt need one, slices much better than normal bread, freezes well and its actually nicer toasted as it's a bit 'spongey' pre toasting.
    It can mould really quickly though so at least keep in the fridge to slow this down.
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    Options
    Pavlova recipe serves 4

4 egg whites
    1/2 tsp Vanilla essence or extract
    1/4 tsp cream of tartar
    6g of splenda. I actually use the Lidl version.
    300ml Double cream
    1/2 teaspoon of strawberry essence/ vanilla would also be nice.
    2g of Splenda
    100g of defrosted mixed berries.

Preheat oven to 135c & lined a baking tray with baking paper.
    Start to beat the egg whites until they just start to turn white instead of transparent.
    Add the other ingredients & continue to beat until the mix forms peaks and is a firm mix.
    Bake for around 40 minutes as it bakes quicker than normal pavlova.
    As it cools prepare the cream.
    Beat the cream until it starts to thicken then add the splenda & strawberry essence. Continue to beat until the cream is thick.
    Top the pavlova with the cream & add the berries to finish.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    morning all

i have come to the conclusion that i cannot have pizza on a friday night (pizza night in our house). as i ate pizza i then ate choccy with my wine in evening. and last night i did the same. whether or not it effects my weight, it effects my asthma and today i feel a bit sick and bloated. so i really need to be more organised on a weekend. and find a low carb pizza base :p. has anyone tried the lc bread receipe for pizza dough? then i could make a batch and freeze them.

today i am having

b - bacon, eggs & 1/2 tin of toms
    l - ham salad
    t - pork roast with lots of veg (no pots or yorkie pudding for me)

oh dear, dd has knotted her hair trying to braid it so had better sort that out.
  • pink_princess
    Options
    Low carb vanilla ice cream
    4 egg yolks
    200ml double cream
    3 tsp of vanilla essence/extract
    6g of splenda
    50ml water

Bleat the cream until it starts to thicken then add the egg yolks, splendar & essence then continue to beat until thick. Slowly add the water until it starts to loosen the cream.
    If you have an icecream maker pour the mixture in. If not then add to a container and put into the freezer. If freezer method then let it thaw for around 20 minutes before serving.

I wished after making this that I had added a few berries cut up to make it a luxury type. I'll be doing that next time :)
  • pink_princess
    edited 22 January 2012 at 1:29PM
    Options
    mazzers wrote: »
    I tried meringues once.. they turned out to be just 'oopsies'
    wasn't overly keen icon13.gif

I've been lurking as i'm being bad and dont want to drag anyone down with me.

back soon hopefully!

Yes for me on the recipes mercy.
    But if you post then perhaps we can pull you up x :) Have you dug out the sad lamp yet? Is the electrics issue sorted? You don't get away that easy Mazzers :D

Hannoja I had to lol at your Other part :rotfl: Least most of it was lc :A

I haven't had brekkie yet as OH is still in bed :eek:

I've just spent the last hour or so listing the contents of both freezers. There is so much food in there that I could feed another family of 5! I'm not going to food shop again until it is used up. Except for eggs, milk & veg.
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon peeps :wave:
    mazzers wrote: »

I've been lurking as i'm being bad and dont want to drag anyone down with me.

Ditto :o
    hannoja wrote: »
    Sunny's lurking too... <peers>

Hannoja - You always catch me out :p:o:D

I've just spent the last hour or so listing the contents of both freezers. There is so much food in there that I could feed another family of 5! I'm not going to food shop again until it is used up. Except for eggs, milk & veg.

I did this the day before yesterday :eek::eek: Scary isn`t it :D

Mercy - Great idea and yay! from me for the recipes :j

I`ve been good :D and bad :p <hangs head>

I`ve been good all day every day and then when i finally plonk down for half an hour before bed i`ve been drinking the hugest (is that really a word?) mug of hot chocolate with double cream and brandy - every single night and i`m totally addicted to it :o The only other thing that i did was last night in addition to the choccy i drank rather a lot of voddie and then came over all starving so i ate a cornish pasty that DH had stashed away in the fridge :o:o

Have been good so far today until i got home but i finish early on a Sunday when i`m on the early shift so i`ve already had the hot choccy/cream/brandy combo and now i`m soooo tired that i`m going to have a little nap before making tea.

I have some chicken stock defrosting in the kitchen and was going to make a chicken,sage and veggie combo type thingy but i forgot to put the bowl in the fridge before i left the house this morning and although she is generally good i don`t quite trust the kittie cat so that will now go down the sink GRRR and i`ll do a quick chicken, burger combo later.

Tis great to see how well everyone is doing even though i`m lacking atm, Mazzers - we`ll both be back on form soon i`m sure.

Keep up the good work peeps, PP is right, reading about everyone doing well does help.

Catch y'all later peeps :wave:

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • mazzers
    mazzers Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2012 at 12:32AM
    Options
    PP, sad lamp is out and used daily atm, wish id got one on a stand as the closer you are the less time is needed in front of it. I'm having a relaxing 15 mins with it on my lap (as no stand) right in my face while i drink my coffee and watch the news :)
    I dont want to use it after work incase it messes up my body clock and mornings are a bit rushed but have set my alarm 15 mins early so hopefully i will keep it up.

Electrics fixed, sorry, i whinged enough and then forgot to mention it was sorted :o
    I had the house rewired 4 years ago and a live cable was left dangling in the garage and was wet from all the wind and rain. The electrician was horrified but it didnt surprise me as the ars*holes that rewired were cowboys and lots of lights dont work since their visit.
    Before anyone says.. i have reported this to the NICEIC as i was given one of their certificates, but got nowhere even though he issued it in someone elses name, they just didnt seem interested, so i have put it down to experience (incidentally, he was a contractor that came with the conservatory company) so i thought he would be ok.

Anyway.. moving on, my neighbours from hell have just put up a for sale sign :j:T:j :beer::rotfl::)
    See.. i do get some good luck :D
  • hannoja
    hannoja Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well we went out for an Indian last night, and I'll be damned if I'm going to regret it. It must have been Summer when we last ate at a restaurant, we have never eaten together as a little family in an Indian, and it's several weeks since we had a take away. It cost almost £50 which was rather a shock and we can't afford it, but it was delicious, the boys behaved (although I was slightly embarassed by the mess left under their chairs, especially the youngest :eek:, which the dog usually 'hoovers' up! :o ). I had a chicken Pathia which I haven't had for about 10 years, OH had a chicken tikka Dansak: we shared ours, and the boys shared a chicken tikka mossala. Three 'pillow' rices between us, a Pashwari naan and a Keema naan. Oh and the 'popidoos' (as youngest calls them) and pickles beforehand were thoroughly enjoyed. I also had a hooge bottle of Kingfisher beer, OH had Cobra.

Before we left home me and OH had a large G&T, walking back from restaurant we all had a choccie bar from shop (saved about £12 there!). I had a Frys peppermint cream. More G&T was consumed upon arrival at home, though hardly by me, since I went to bed pretty soon, due to the great atmosphere being spoiled somewhat, for me at least.. (everyone went to do their separate thing basically.. computer-related.. normal weekend stuff that they do when I'm at w*rk.. :wall:) I hit the hay rather than throw a wobbly :A

Was a good day though. Theatre together in the morning, then went to an amazing playground with 'outdoor fitness equipment' which was fun, and free!
    It was a 'Wicksteed recreation playscape', like this:

Cambridge%20Wicksteed%20Xerscapers%20close%20upRES.jpg

We also bought a kite (£20 :eek: ) and tried to fly it for a while... too windy, then went somewhere else and it wasn't windy enough! :laugh:

Anyway, it's a bit irrelevant but..:
    B: usual frankies and a bit of PP's 'cheese crisp'(made a kind of mini hot dog hehe)
    L: usual prawny cocktail
    T: Indian! Mmmmmm, Fry's cream

O: Tea, Coffee, Water (not much), G&T again :o, 3 Jaffa cakes.

Back on the straight and narrow today.

:) Have a happy and successful week everyone! :dance: :D
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Options
    Day 18

This stalling is doing my head in :mad:

The first week I lost 6lb, then I seemed to have gained 1lb this week :eek: I was trying to decide whether to weigh daily to see if I'm up and down through the week, or not weigh at all for a couple of weeks. I'm going to try weighing daily to see if any sort of pattern emerges. I'm not a very patient person unfortunately.

This is really getting me down but I'm staying with it as I do actually really enjoy this WOE.

Yesterday,
    B: 3 sausages & 2 fried eggs
    L: Lump of gouda and about 100g peanuts
    D: Chicken breast with mozzarella & basil and a big helping of buttery cabbage, 100g stewed rhubarb and cream
    5 cups decaff coffee with cream, 5 litres (!) water

Any tips gratefully received.
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 23 January 2012 at 7:24PM
    Options
    lost half a pound this week , a bit disappointed was hoping for more

just made some coconut flour american pancakes - they were nom

coconut pancakes

2 eggs
    3 tablespoons coconut flour
    4 tablespoons milk
    spalsh of melted butter
    1/4 tspn baking powder

whizzed it all up together and cooked in a small frying pan
    flip when golden brown