Options

Comments

• daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    nicely said :T:beer:

absolute bounder the curry sounds nice ,the rest doesnt seem to fit with your superfoods list for a 'route to great health' :cool:

That's cos it's all in his mind, so I revise my opinion I think he's into crystals or meditation, or some other thing where the punter pays over inordinate amounts of money for something hocus pocus on the assurance that this is the magical cure which the 'diet' industry has been denying them. Too transparent for words...

Shall I shut up now Mercy ?

(loving that titter icon :rotfl:)
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess unless you're part of the "in-group" then you have no place on this thread. Would like to say it's been nice chatting ladies, but that might be stretching the imagination a little. Time to unsubscribe...again!
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    I guess unless you're part of the "in-group" then you have no place on this thread. Would like to say it's been nice chatting ladies, but that might be stretching the imagination a little. Time to unsubscribe...again!

I dont think that is true. Since I came on here I have got support and advice and I tend to come and go depending on how well i am doing and how much time i have. I have never had anything other than support and advice.

But if people start questioning low carb when it has helped so many of us, not just in losing weight but with other conditions it does tend to get peoples backs up.
  • daska
    Options

Honey, yes, I'd have gone with that if people really want to eat it, and recommended that people look for local apiarists, but bee pollen? Seriously? Maca, wolfberries and guarana are also foods that we managed just fine without for centuries. I'm not disputing the individual benefits of any of these things but the purpose of coming on here and attempting to extract the michael in such an obvious manner... Coming on a 'support' thread and making comments about how people on it are eating the wrong things, making reference to make believe things such as lots of margarine and about all of us being ripped off by the diet industry is not the mark of a genuine poster.

You however are polite, helpful, informative so I would have put you as part of the in-crowd, if I thought such a thing existed. Most of us float in and out as life dictates.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-021.gif

brilliant :T:T
    nuttybabe wrote: »
    I dont think that is true. Since I came on here I have got support and advice and I tend to come and go depending on how well i am doing and how much time i have. I have never had anything other than support and advice.

But if people start questioning low carb when it has helped so many of us, not just in losing weight but with other conditions it does tend to get peoples backs up.

well said :T:beer:
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If you want to stay healthy you listen to your body. Obviously you dont want a carb only diet any more than you want a fat or protein only diet. The diet industry makes millions out of selling these ideas about losing weight when all you have to do is overcome the emotional issues that have led us to overeat.
    I do not run a site selling pots of healthyness. That is the very thing I am against but I will let the person off for saying that.
    I do hypnosis for people to lose weight. I dont use gastric band hypnosis as I am not happy with it from a safety POV and the cost to the client. I use regression to find out why someone has overeaten then treat that issue. Once a person listens to their body they will drop back to an ideal weight at around a pound or two per week eating whatever they like.

Kinda felt the need to stick my tuppenceworth in here. :D

I have to agree with what ab is saying simply because it appears to be the very issue that has affected me (previous things whilst young causing weight issues when older I mean). So far (still early days) I still haven't felt the need to comfort eat and the anger I felt inside (for no apparent reason and which gets worse at TOTM) has subsided a lot. I honestly do feel calmer than before so I do feel his comments on this are accurate. Whether they would be accurate for everyone I don't know but I do feel it's worthy of consideration.

I do believe 'normal' people (i.e. people who eat a varied diet but still retain a normal weight) don't need to restrict certain foods. Certainly when I was in my late teens, early 20's I was thin and ate everything.

However, low carb does seem to be the only thing that works for many people and to come onto a low carb thread and pretty much dismiss low carbing as a fad diet seems a little provocative to say the least.

I don't think ab is trolling, but I do question his wisdom and his delivery of said wisdom. I'm sure his point could have been made in a less abrasive way. It's like going into a pack of lions and shouting 'I'm a rabbit'. :rotfl:

I think perhaps that's why people here get their backs up a little? Everyone is reasonable and intelligent enough to make their own considered choices, it's really not on to be told they are eating a fad diet and they *should* be doing x y or z (even if the advice was intended to be helpful.

*signed aliasojo ... keeper of peace and fairness 2012* :rotfl:

Anyway, I've been quite busy over the last few days, I'm definitely not sitting on the couch as much as I did. I feel better within myself, almost 'lighter' in spirit if that makes sense and doesn't sound too gushy. I'm still not dieting or doing anything to reduce my weight right now, that will come in time, I'm just happy the basic 'foundation' seems to be getting stronger iyswim.

I'm off to Ikea again today for boxes, I'm gutting cupboards and clearing out carp. Oooohhh get me ...spring cleaning my home as well as my psyche. :D

Have a happy day all. And stop fighting. :D
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • daska
    Options
    Hypnosis LOL, I wasn't far off the mark was I! "you've been ripped off by the diet industry, I can help if you pay me". Actually Alias I agree to a point, I've been losing weight by listening to my body, it tells me it can't cope with carbs and wheat so I avoid them. My sense of humour is party returned, or at least it had until I stepped on the scales. I've put on half a stone in 4 days. I think the only option, if I have to include more carbs, is to cut out the fat as much as possible. It's short term, I have the will-power, I have the will-power, I have the will-power... I do...
    48 down, 22 to go
  • absolutebounder
    Options

It doesnt bother me. When someone shys away from debate and responds with insults it shows their insecurity on the subject. this occurs when someone either blindly buys into an idea probably after reading a book but doesnt really get the full understanding or joins a herd once again without full knowledge of the subject. This means that when a challenge comes along they dont feel they have the resources to fight it and so either avoid it or distract with insults.
    nuttybabe wrote: »

I have no doubt low carbs have helped people in the short term but there are many people talking about things that are either rather high in carbs or artificial food produced by a laboratory with an advanced chemistry set
    daska wrote: »
    Hypnosis LOL, I wasn't far off the mark was I! "you've been ripped off by the diet industry, I can help if you pay me".
    You were miles off the point. I studied applied biology at university not geology. Unlike your diet books I have guarantees. If someone failed to lose weight in the manner agreed I would give them their money back. You dont see that on an Atkins diet book do you?

A human is an omnivore which means we are designed to eat all food classes We are not herbivores and so not designed purely to be vegetarian (high carb) any more than we are carnivores (low carb) We are in the middle. Cultures around the world have eaten grains such as rice and meats plus a few bits of fruit and veg and not ended up fat like the western world.
    Obesity is becoming an epidemic but then so is the diet industry and it is failing in every department apart from raising hopes and taking your money. If you look at history you will se we had a couple of world wars last century and funnily enough we started getting much bigger after the second one and more so after rationing stopped.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Obesity is becoming an epidemic but then so is the diet industry and it is failing in every department apart from raising hopes and taking your money. If you look at history you will se we had a couple of world wars last century and funnily enough we started getting much bigger after the second one and more so after rationing stopped.

If you look at history you will see it's the Health officials who sent out wrong information and that's why obesity rose alarmingly. Imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=FSeSTq-N4U4

If you can't be faffed watching it all (you should, it's really quite interesting) then at least watch from maybe 5.45 in. The map stats are amazing.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • absolutebounder
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    If you look at history you will see it's the Health officials who sent out wrong information and that's why obesity rose alarmingly. Imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=FSeSTq-N4U4

If you can't be faffed watching it all (you should, it's really quite interesting) then at least watch from maybe 5.45 in. The map stats are amazing.

Yes the maps are interesting and the guy makes some good points. i think also there are a few non sequiters as well though. yes its true that there are more refined carbs about but carbs are not all the same. Basically we see them as fuel and what we think are refined carbs as rocket fuel. The more refined the fuel you put in your car the further it goes or the more power it has. however it doesnt work like that in a human. The body has the ability to convert excess carbs to fat, note the word excess because it may not be what you think as excess. If the body is in starvation mode it is likely to try and save for later as it doesnt know where its next nutrients are coming so it will put some aside. On men it tends to be on the stomach and women round the hips and bum.
    Now think throughout the war years and afterwards food was in short supply and people hasd been very restricted for many years. The body had used up reserves. Then suddenly after rationing there was much more food but still quite a lot of austerity so people were encouraged to eat all their food and clear the plate. many eastern cultures leave food on the plate. That is not our way, but we were conditioning our children to overeat.
    Food has also been used as a reward and to comfort. Your brain will remember these patterns. We have got lazier and lazier. We do not need so much food but still keep clearing our plate which has got bigger. many niow dont cook from scratch and here comes the real shocker. there is a market for ready meals but they have to be made and distributed and sit in the shop until sold. They are absolutely riddled with chemicals that are foreign to the body. E numbers to make them more attractive, Artificial sweetners:eek:
    Sulphites to preserve:eek: Artificial colours to make things like peas green again after they have been bleached with sulphur dioxide.
    Quite simply the pressure was on at a young age to eat and now the food is better we are not letting up. Its not actually got much to do with carbs at all its just we are no longer eating the same amount as we are burning.
    You find a lot of advice to eat fruit. That is fine for some nutrients but fruit contains fructose which interferes with leptin, our very own chemical fuel gauge
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure