Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Gray_Malkin
    Options
    Sorry to hear that daska :( My friend had to eat gluten-containing foods too, even though she, and her doctor, were very aware that gluten was a problem. She ended up weighing just over 6 stone :eek:

I can't see why you couldn't just add gluten to wheat-free foods though (although I'm no doctor, lol). I have a bag of gluten in my cupboard that I tried adding to flax bread (turned out like a brick).

hope you can work something out.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear that daska :( My friend had to eat gluten-containing foods too, even though she, and her doctor, were very aware that gluten was a problem. She ended up weighing just over 6 stone :eek:

I can't see why you couldn't just add gluten to wheat-free foods though (although I'm no doctor, lol). I have a bag of gluten in my cupboard that I tried adding to flax bread (turned out like a brick).

hope you can work something out.

Well this is it, I don't lose weight when I add the grains back in I pile it on and I feel carp - I'm sat here feeling bloated and painfully bunged up from stomach to wherever and listening to my insides gurgling very loudly knowing that I'll be having to 'run' (lol) to the loo but I'll get less than 10 seconds warning and that I'll have nappy rash for the next 8 weeks at least. So to be putting weight back on will be the icing on the cake! I guess I could go very low fat to counterbalance it but then I end up not going at all... Please bear with me while I rant for the next 39 days (and counting...)
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't popped back for a while, I am a bit of a forum wh0re and am trying to split my time between them all ;)

So, have been LC-ing for a week now, with some good and bad days but overall I think I have done ok! I don't think I will ever get to the dizzi lows that some of you seem to get to but I thought I would start slowly and build up to it, is that allowed? :rotfl:

I have been tracking on myfitnesspal just because it's easy to get an idea of where I am tracking each day and I think on my plan, based on my current weight and what I want to lose it suggests I eat around 200g of carb a day and most days I come in between 100 and 130g. Even better than that was that when I went back through my food diary to when I was eating pre LC although my calories weren't too bad my carbs were WAY over the recommend, so I was at almost 300g of a carb a day - probably explains why I wasn't losing weight :o.

I did struggle at Zumba on Friday thought, I didn't eat a lot (Although that wasn't my intention) and I felt absolutely drained, I thought I was going to have to stop. Does anyone think that will pass, is it just a teething thing or should I perhaps increase my carbs on zumba days?

I am zumba-ing tonight so will see how it goes.

I did weigh myself last Thursday and had lost 0.75lbs in a week but I'd only been LC-ing for a few days so will see how what my weigh in is like this Thursday.

Will try and check in more often x

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • daska
    edited 18 September 2012 at 2:49PM
    Options
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Sorry I haven't popped back for a while, I am a bit of a forum wh0re and am trying to split my time between them all ;)

So, have been LC-ing for a week now, with some good and bad days but overall I think I have done ok! I don't think I will ever get to the dizzi lows that some of you seem to get to but I thought I would start slowly and build up to it, is that allowed? :rotfl:

I have been tracking on myfitnesspal just because it's easy to get an idea of where I am tracking each day and I think on my plan, based on my current weight and what I want to lose it suggests I eat around 200g of carb a day and most days I come in between 100 and 130g. Even better than that was that when I went back through my food diary to when I was eating pre LC although my calories weren't too bad my carbs were WAY over the recommend, so I was at almost 300g of a carb a day - probably explains why I wasn't losing weight :o.

I did struggle at Zumba on Friday thought, I didn't eat a lot (Although that wasn't my intention) and I felt absolutely drained, I thought I was going to have to stop. Does anyone think that will pass, is it just a teething thing or should I perhaps increase my carbs on zumba days?

I am zumba-ing tonight so will see how it goes.

I did weigh myself last Thursday and had lost 0.75lbs in a week but I'd only been LC-ing for a few days so will see how what my weigh in is like this Thursday.

Will try and check in more often x

You will adapt - or at least that's the message from Volek and Phinney. They've even written a spin off from their original book about this, it's called The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance. And look at Jimmy from livinlavidalowcarb I remember watching one of his training clips which made it quite obvious that a bit of zumba should be perfectly manageable :D But, the usual advice is not to rush into a exercise during the first few weeks but to build it up gradually - a week isn't long enough, you need time to adapt first! The reason Atkins does a two week induction and Dukan has it's attack phase is to get the body into a different way of thinking so that it's more natural for it to source the energy from appropriate places. If you just reduce the carbs a bit and start expecting to do more then you're probably going to continue to struggle.

Are you following a specific plan or are you trying to wing it? 100-130g is far higher than most plans and Atkins starts with 20g/day. Personally I feel it's easier to just go for it rather than adapt gradually but I know it's not a view shared by all.
    48 down, 22 to go
  • jtr2803
    jtr2803 Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the support and links Daska. Have been doing Zumba since last September so the exercise itself isn't new to me but doing it on a 'diet' or 'plan' is!

I won't push myself too hard tonight and will see how it goes.

If I am honest, I guess I am winging it a bit by reading through threads like these and working out what foods are low carb and seeing how I can reduce my daily intake. I am one of those where if I start a plan, and I mess up early on I tend to just give up. Have learnt over the years that by not putting any expectation on myself I don't end up feeling like I have failed - I hope that makes some sense?

I about 4 stone over my 'guideline' weight so have plenty to lose. I am hoping I can do it slowly, 0.5lb a week is fine with me as long as it is sustainable and I find a way to manage when going out for dinner and weekends at home (which seem to be the hardest!).

:)

Very happily married on 10th April 2013 :D
    Spero Meliora
    Trying to find a cure for Maldivesitis :rotfl:
  • absolutebounder
    Options
    Superfoods: The Route To Great Health

What are they and why do we need them?
    Maca: Energy, strength, libido, fertility
    Bee Pollen: Improved metabolism, dissolving and flushing of fat cells, craving reduction, nutritonally complete
    Chia Seeds: High calcium, boron, potassium, antioxidants, iron and EFAs
    Apricot Kernels: Anti-cancer, amygdalin/B17
    Celtic Salt: 81 minerals, magnesium rich, unrefined
    Spirulina: Mictro–algae, corrects deficiencies, chlorophyll rich, nutritionally complete
    Goji Berries: Immune function, blood pressure, bone strength, weight loss
    Kelp: High mineral content, tumour/candida/fungus reduction, balances thyroid
    Turmeric: Contains curcumin, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, lowers cholesterol
    Cacao: Contains fibre, iron, zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium. Strengthens hair and nails
    Wheatgrass: Cleanses toxins, aids digestion, liver flushes, reduces inflammation
    Guarana: Improved performance, enhanced metabolism, bowel health, detoxifier

Most of these are more carb than fat or protein
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • daska
    Options
    Superfoods: The Route To Great Health

What are they and why do we need them?
    Maca: Energy, strength, libido, fertility
    Bee Pollen: Improved metabolism, dissolving and flushing of fat cells, craving reduction, nutritonally complete
    Chia Seeds: High calcium, boron, potassium, antioxidants, iron and EFAs
    Apricot Kernels: Anti-cancer, amygdalin/B17
    Celtic Salt: 81 minerals, magnesium rich, unrefined
    Spirulina: Mictro–algae, corrects deficiencies, chlorophyll rich, nutritionally complete
    Goji Berries: Immune function, blood pressure, bone strength, weight loss
    Kelp: High mineral content, tumour/candida/fungus reduction, balances thyroid
    Turmeric: Contains curcumin, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, lowers cholesterol
    Cacao: Contains fibre, iron, zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium. Strengthens hair and nails
    Wheatgrass: Cleanses toxins, aids digestion, liver flushes, reduces inflammation
    Guarana: Improved performance, enhanced metabolism, bowel health, detoxifier

Most of these are more carb than fat or protein

Isn't it amazing that we've managed to survive to the 21st century without these, just by eating real food... ;)
    48 down, 22 to go
  • absolutebounder
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    Isn't it amazing that we've managed to survive to the 21st century without these, just by eating real food... ;)

Yes and for most of that time we havent been on fad diets ripping people off with half truths.
    There seem to be a lot of references here to margarine and artificial sweetners. Do you call those real foods?
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    daska wrote: »

But our ancestors were eating these foods, hence why we've survived so long! It's only in recent times since the food industry started messing around with our food that what we eat is now slowly killing us!
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Jerryjerryjerry Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2012 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Daska,you poor thing! Hope you get sorted.

Got back from interview. Have no idea how it went. They will let the agency know on or by friday. However, when I rang agency they offered me a three day booking! Yay!!!!!!! Soooo happy.

Going off now to cook dinner which is going to be fried green tomato curry (free from MIL's garden), and I will have yoghurt and salad, and DH will have rice.

Then will make DH his sandwiches for work and boil up some eggs for me to take to work. Going to have egg mayo in one container and some chopped ham and salad in another! to have at lunch at work! Yay!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure