Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    durham_mim wrote: »
    Which Uni is she going to? Mine is going to Wales, the other end of the country to where we are. This is the second time I've done this and it doesn't get any easier. In fact it is harder this time. With DD1 I was in ignorance when we deposited her at Uni. I thought 'oh it will be ok, at least I'll see her during the hols which are quite long' On the journey home OH quickly dispelled that idea by telling me DD1 had effectively left home, she would have to work during hols and so wouldn't be home as often as I was expecting. This time I know what to expect, DD2 is further away and it will be even harder for her to get home. DD2 is the one I worry about the most. She has mild asthma and food allergies, and is the quiet one, so I guess I've always been more protective of her. Her term does not finish until 24th December so it may be she won't get home for Christmas:(

Feeling really emotional and weepy last few days and have snapped at everyone at some point. I will come to terms with it but it will take time.

:eek: oh no i was thinking i would see her regularly and over the hols too , i cant imagine not seeing her often :(

she is off to the midlands about 100 miles away but only an hour and half by car though , i think she will be ok she is a good cook and loves cleaning and washing , my only worry is that she is really hard on herself and gets upset if she doesnt meet her own high standards ,

had a lovely day today , work in the morning but spent the afternoon walking round a lovely derbyshire village with DD1 we did end up having a cream tea :o

I have packed my lunch for tomorrow in my new tub :D ive got chicken , boiled eggs , tomatoes , and in the little tub in the centre ive put butter in for my lc cracker :j

hope everyones ok xx
  • Gray_Malkin
    Options
    :hello: Morning low carbers.

It's freezing here today. I've lit the wood stove.

Going to make some flax crackers and stuff so at least it'll be warm in the kitchen :D

Good luck with your interview jerry - fingers crossed.

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Hello Gray, and everybody. Well I am just having my 3rd cup of coffee and then I will do some last minute snooping on the company website, before heading out to my 2nd interview. I am so desperate for a job. Any job! Not going to have anything to eat till I get back. Make the most of not wanting to eat! Speak later. x
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    jjj good luck with the interview x
  • marrbett
    marrbett Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jjj, hope all goes well for the interview.xxx
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Jerry - good luck with interview x
  • Gray_Malkin
    Options
    As I'm having a morning in the kitchen (the sun's come out now though, typical!), I'm making a spinach roulade for tonight.
    I used to make it often, but I sort of forgot about it. Then I realised it was low carb too, so why not?

I usually use Jane Asher's recipe from "Easy Entertaining", but found this one online: http://www.valerieking.com/cfm/articlesdisplay.cfm?recordid=30

The only difference I can see is Jane Asher uses an ounce of butter with the spinach, which I'm adding.

I'm just using a mixture of philly, soured cream and herbs to fill mine.

With a big dressed salad, that's dinner sorted ;)
  • AvadaKedavra
    Options
    Hi all,

Has anyone else tried this before? Intermittent fasting.

As some of you will know, I started IF around 6 weeks ago roughly knowing that many others have benefited from it. For those who do not know what it is about, to give you my regime to help understand. I eat between 2-6 PM every day, this can if you wish be altered to suite your day for example you could have 12-4 or any other variant, what's more this does not have to be four hours it could be a maximum of 8 (recommend) or anything less, sometimes I will decrease mine to 1 hour! The rest of the time so for example 6PM until 2pm the next day (20 hours) you fast, I sleep through some of this period so it makes things much easier, I do not struggle at all now but did when I first started.

The benefits I found from this was, FAT loss in areas that previously I could not get to, love handles lower abs etc. I feel energized all the time, I do not eat different foods than before I just eat it in that window of 4 hours. while you are sleeping and exercising on a fast, your body is using your stored fat for energy.

Where as with my old diet eating 6 smaller meals per day, I was actually constantly feeding my body therefore it was finding it harder to access my fat stores for energy and for the most part was using my food for energy, thus why I could not burn my fat in areas such as lower abs etc... I also drink lots of water is important and green tea while on the fast, you can drink tea and coffee just not with milk or sugar if possible.

So I have lost 1 stone 2 pound to date, but lost more fat than I ever have. I would love for someone here who wants to shift a few pounds to try this and see how you get on.

Thanks
    'Football is part of I, when I play the world wakes up around me' - Bob Marley

'Oh, to be young and to feel love's keen sting' - Albus Dumbledore
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2012 at 11:55AM
    Options
    AvadaKedavra - yes, some of us on here do IF already, and there's already a specific thread on this board titled 5:2 diet which you might want to read

Jerry - hope it went well!

I'm feeling very despondent, the coeliac test my GP wants me to have apparently needs me to eat gluten containing food at least once a day for at least six weeks. :(

So, me being me, I'm now wondering whether I can just eat the gluten 'without the wheat' so to speak. I know it's possible to buy 'gluten' that you can add to baked goods to improve the rise. I've rung the helpline run by coeliac uk and been told very abruptly that they aren't aware of any gluten powder available to buy any more - er, no, there are at least 2 brands available - by someone who obviously didn't have a clue why I should be mentioning high blood sugar levels as a reason to avoid grains and got very shirty when I pressed the point. So I'm not overly impressed with them, surely they should be aware that co-morbid conditions still need to be managed!?

I'm still waiting for the GP to call back just to confirm with her that I can't take the test for a few weeks and see if she has any advice but :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • AvadaKedavra
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    AvadaKedavra - yes, some of us on here do IF already, and there's already a specific thread on this board titled 5:2 diet which you might want to read

Jerry - hope it went well!

I'm feeling very despondent, the coeliac test my GP wants me to have apparently needs me to eat gluten containing food at least once a day for at least six weeks. :(

So, me being me, I'm now wondering whether I can just eat the gluten 'without the wheat' so to speak. I know it's possible to buy 'gluten' that you can add to baked goods to improve the rise. I've rung the helpline run by coeliac uk and been told very abruptly that they aren't aware of any gluten powder available to buy any more - er, no, there are at least 2 brands available - by someone who obviously didn't have a clue why I should be mentioning high blood sugar levels as a reason to avoid grains and got very shirty when I pressed the point. So I'm not overly impressed with them, surely they should be aware that co-morbid conditions still need to be managed!?

I'm still waiting for the GP to call back just to confirm with her that I can't take the test for a few weeks and see if she has any advice but :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ah thank you very much I will have a look for the thread. :beer:
    'Football is part of I, when I play the world wakes up around me' - Bob Marley

'Oh, to be young and to feel love's keen sting' - Albus Dumbledore
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport