Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Mercy
    Mercy Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    daska wrote: »

I'm feeling very despondent, the coeliac test my GP wants me to have apparently needs me to eat gluten containing food at least once a day for at least six weeks. :(

So, me being me, I'm now wondering whether I can just eat the gluten 'without the wheat' so to speak.

I had to do this. If I eat wheat I bloat up, feel like I'm getting flu and have terrible headaches. Apparently I'm 'unlikely' to be gluten intolerant. :rotfl: Must just be the wheat then, which is what I'd known anyway.

Here's a list of gluten containing foods. Sure you could avoid the wheat but still eat some every day. Semolina for breakfast?

http://www.whatcontainsgluten.com/2009/04/list-of-foods-containing-gluten.html

Most of the above list is wheat derived but not all. barley is on there too. Barley stew n semolina? (different bowls :rotfl:)

Mx
    low carb recipe list - link on page 1 low carb support thread
    You don't have any control over what life throws at you.
    You DO have control over how you react :)
  • Mercy
    Options
    jtr2803 wrote: »
    Thanks for the support and links Daska. Have been doing Zumba since last September so the exercise itself isn't new to me but doing it on a 'diet' or 'plan' is!

I won't push myself too hard tonight and will see how it goes.

If I am honest, I guess I am winging it a bit by reading through threads like these and working out what foods are low carb and seeing how I can reduce my daily intake. I am one of those where if I start a plan, and I mess up early on I tend to just give up. Have learnt over the years that by not putting any expectation on myself I don't end up feeling like I have failed - I hope that makes some sense?

I about 4 stone over my 'guideline' weight so have plenty to lose. I am hoping I can do it slowly, 0.5lb a week is fine with me as long as it is sustainable and I find a way to manage when going out for dinner and weekends at home (which seem to be the hardest!).

:)

Hiya!

Have you read Dr Dahlqvist's notes? (link on page 1) It's just a simple guide to low carbing. Could be interesting for you as it doesn't set limits on things but give good guidelines. :D

Mx
  • Mercy
    Options
    But our ancestors were eating these foods, hence why we've survived so long! It's only in recent times since the food industry started messing around with our food that what we eat is now slowly killing us!

I don't think going back 4 generations my family was munching on spirulina or goji berries :rotfl: guarana was an unlikely addition too I imagine :D

However, they did eat fresh, foods cooked from scratch and no mass produced manufactured foods. I think you'll find that's kinda what we do here. :beer:

Mx
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Superfoods: The Route To Great Health

What are they and why do we need them?
    Maca: Energy, strength, libido, fertility
    Bee Pollen: Improved metabolism, dissolving and flushing of fat cells, craving reduction, nutritonally complete
    Chia Seeds: High calcium, boron, potassium, antioxidants, iron and EFAs
    Apricot Kernels: Anti-cancer, amygdalin/B17
    Celtic Salt: 81 minerals, magnesium rich, unrefined
    Spirulina: Mictro–algae, corrects deficiencies, chlorophyll rich, nutritionally complete
    Goji Berries: Immune function, blood pressure, bone strength, weight loss
    Kelp: High mineral content, tumour/candida/fungus reduction, balances thyroid
    Turmeric: Contains curcumin, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, lowers cholesterol
    Cacao: Contains fibre, iron, zinc, copper, calcium, magnesium. Strengthens hair and nails
    Wheatgrass: Cleanses toxins, aids digestion, liver flushes, reduces inflammation
    Guarana: Improved performance, enhanced metabolism, bowel health, detoxifier

Most of these are more carb than fat or protein

could you post up an example of your daily diet? the list above doesnt mean much to me
  • absolutebounder
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »
    could you post up an example of your daily diet? the list above doesnt mean much to me

Well i dont really do diets because I eat whatever I feel like at the time. And that is the point, your body will tell you when its full if you dont ignore it. Some you would regard as junk and some you would regard as healthy.
    I do however cook the majority of what I eat from scratch as I enjoy cooking. I do also tend to eat a high protein brecky because it fills you up and replaces the spent amino acids. I do quite a bit of exercise.
    today I have had Beans on toast which you might see as rather carby but dont forget that combination provides all the essential amino acids. 1 cream doughnut and an iced bun.
    This evening I made a curry recipe as follows stir fry in olive oil 1 tsp of turmeric , 1 tsp corriander, 1tsp of cumin seeds. Some fresh root ginger (grated), 1 tsp of Ali's madras curry powder from Mombasa market 1 desert spoon of garam massala. I then added 2 chopped onions and two chopped peppers with 2 whole chinese garlic bulbs grated. once that lot ws beginning to soften I added passata and abiout 400g ofchicken. last thing to add was tin of coconut milk. let it brew away until it thickens then serve with jeera rice.
    Couldnt give a toss what the dieticians say it was bloody tasty
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2012 at 10:22AM
    Options
    But our ancestors were eating these foods, hence why we've survived so long! It's only in recent times since the food industry started messing around with our food that what we eat is now slowly killing us!

I was being sarcastic.

Personally I can only see one reason for posting a list like that and making that sort of comment on a low carb support thread. That's because absolutebounder is spelled t r o l l. He obviously didn't spot my signature either or he wouldn't have bothered asking me whether I considered margarine and sweeteners real food.

And no, maca and wolfberries and turmeric and guarana would not have been in the normal diet of someone living in these islands because they're not native to here.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Mercy
    edited 18 September 2012 at 8:08PM
    Options
    This evening I made a curry recipe as follows stir fry in olive oil 1 tsp of turmeric , 1 tsp corriander, 1tsp of cumin seeds. Some fresh root ginger (grated), 1 tsp of Ali's madras curry powder from Mombasa market 1 desert spoon of garam massala. I then added 2 chopped onions and two chopped peppers with 2 whole chinese garlic bulbs grated. once that lot ws beginning to soften I added passata and abiout 400g ofchicken. last thing to add was tin of coconut milk. let it brew away until it thickens then serve with jeera rice.
    Couldnt give a toss what the dieticians say it was bloody tasty

That sounds marvelous! I think here we'd replace the olive oil with butter or ghee as olive oil does not take high temperatures well and turns into trans fats at high temperature. Other than that - :T:j:beer: You just got yourself onto the recipe list! :j

That was home made passata?

LOL

Mx
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    Options
    sistercas wrote: »

:beer: :rotfl:

exactly my point, there's very little on that list which you could grow in your allotment, he probably runs a site selling lots of little tubs of 'healthyness'.

Anyway, I've stuck him on ignore.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Mercy
    Options
    daska wrote: »
    I was being sarcastic.

Personally I can only see one reason for posting a list like that and making that sort of comment on a low carb support thread. That's because absolutebounder is spelled t r o l l. He obviously didn't spot my signature either or he wouldn't have bothered asking me whether I considered margarine and sweeteners real food.

Daft as a brush :rotfl: Anyway, that curry does sound good :rotfl:

Margarine? :rotfl:

I try not to feed trolls but in this case a troll fed us so all to the good :D

Mx
  • absolutebounder
    Options
    Mercy wrote: »
    That sounds marvelous! I think here we'd replace the olive oil with butter or ghee as olive oil does not take high temperatures well and turns into trans fats at high temperature. Other than that - :T:j:beer: You just got yourself onto the recipe list! :j

LOL

Mx

That sounds like the james martin version:rotfl: i probably would have done it like that except there wasnt much butter in the fridge though I dont think it really gets that hot because I dont turn the gas up too much.
    however if you want something really nice forget the passata and chicken and replace with fresh pineapple and a red chilli or two depending on how much you want to sweat.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure