Low-carb diets support thread

Options

Comments

• Minihauk
    Options
    Hi all,

Apologies for lack of posting. Been really busy as work and not around much.

Still going well and eating lc, but probably a little too much cheese. Clothes feeling a bit looser which is good.

I really can't believe the improvement to my knees when I stick with it. Makes such a difference.

Still having problems with cramp in the legs even though I'm taking magnesium supplements, so going to have a pootle around g***le to see what else I can try as I don't want to give up or eat more carbs.

Hope all are well.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please illustrate this with quotes.

Thanks

Please see my sig.

If anything, when fats etc are mentioned we tend to go on about butter, coconut oil, lard etc. Some people use artificial sweeteners but again, it's usually quickly pointed out that these can stall weightloss rather than promote it.

Having said that I branched out today with my 2 slices of bread (not low carb - GP says I need coeliac test so I have to eat it for at least six weeks :(, still looking for other solutions as oats etc apparently don't count). I'm thinking I have to find a route through this testing time I'm having and so I'm going more Harcombe/Hay for a bit i.e. not mixing fat and carbs. I'll have my bread at lunch time and meat for supper. And I broke my long standing rule and bought some Quark - cos bread is grim on it's own - one slice mixed with marmite and the second I added strawberries and non-dutched cocoa... mmmmm
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • absolutebounder
    Options

Thanks

Just to pick on one that actually covers the made in a lab bit too.
    splenda. about 5% sucralose and 95% dextrose or maltodextrin
    Sucralose is made from sucrose by adding 3 chlorine atoms in a lab. its much sweeter than sugar so you dont need much. however chlorine is a highly reactive nasty chemical. Its ok when bonded to something equally reactive like sodium (salt) as it is very stable. It is said by the food industry that only 15% aprox is absorbed :eek: Does the body know how to break down this foreign chemical?
    The dextrose is one of 3 common dietary monosaccharides. In fact its glucose under another name. maltodextrin is an oligosaccharide carb that is easily absorbed. Some bacteria in the gut rather like it and produce gas with it.
    Talking of lab made food. If you research the 2nd world war you will find that hitler was sponsored by the pharma companies because they promised to make and preserve food for his army. And that is the main start of all the additives and foreign chemicals in food that there are today in the supermarkets.
    Who I am is not important. What I do is.
  • Fern_Merkin
    Options

Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolutebounder
    I have no doubt low carbs have helped people in the short term but there are many people talking about things that are either rather high in carbs or artificial food produced by a laboratory with an advanced chemistry set

Thanks

Hello.

I read along here regularly. Maybe I didn't make myself clear. It was the there are many people talking about bit I'd like clarifying. Being an avid reader I just don't see this happening.

This is a surprisingly non artificial foods thread - one of the reasons I like it. It seems a bit of flummery to me to suggest that's what the folk on this thread do.

I'd also like to second kafkathecat in asking which bit of 'low carb support thread' is applying here, AB?

You are making it very off topic. and less interesting to read.

FM
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    For what its worth, I eat low carb. I don't follow a particular diet. Just try to make sure I eat as few carbs as suits me. If it were a zero carb thread, then i'd be out of here.

Tonight i'm going to have leftover green tomato curry with a huge bowl of yoghurt. Don't feel like salad. Then i'm going to make a salad for lunch tomorrow. It will be a tin of mackeral with celery, cucumber and tomatoes etc. I would not eat that at home as its so cold.. but as I will be at work, I wont have any excuse! haha.

Now.. onto something off topic... I'm very happy to report, that after I finish this assignment tomorrow.. there will be no rest for the wicked! An agency rang with a one week booking for whole of next week! paying 8.00 per hour! OVER THE MOON! THEN... and its like a miracle... but i've got another temp-to-perm job starting on 1 oct! 9.50 per hour! Talk about things taking a turn for the better! All my recent troubles (lack of money), will be a thing of the past for now.. as this 1 oct job is for a legal sec ongoing.. could be six months.. with a view to them taking me on permanently if I do well! Yay! Yay! Yay!

The only trouble is, the 1 oct job is quite a long way to travel, but its money in the bank, which i'm that desperate now, that I don't care. Also, still to hear from that other job interview and will hear tomorrow. If
    I do get that one, which is permanent, I will take it, and ring agency to cancel the long way away job. But all in all, my finances have taken a turn for the better.

Two more weeks, and we would have had to start buying groceries, and paying bills with the credit card!

Hope all are well! x
  • Jerryjerryjerry
    Options
    Oh and Nutty babe. Thanks for your blog - it was lovely reading. Really enjoyed it. Also, i'm going to try the toad in the hole.... as I've got some ground almonds. and if they are still on offer at asda, will get some more friday night!
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    evening all

had a good day food wise and otherwise , went shopping to sainsbugs with DD1 to get her food supplies as she starts uni on sat. then on the way back we picked DD2 up at lunchtime and went to a local carvery , it was lovely , i had gammon and turkey cauli cheese , braised cabbage , carrots, onion gravy then dropped DD2 back at school

breakfast was , chicken breast and some chicken tikka left from last night

dinner , a stilton and black pepper burger with cabbage, butter and lots of butter , greek yog for pud

nb ive saved your toad in the hole recipe - thanks
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 September 2012 at 7:46PM
    Options
    Congratulations Jerry

that's really good news :D
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • nuttybabe
    nuttybabe Posts: 2,299 Forumite
    Options
    Jerry - :jyay, well done on getting the temping jobs. Good luck for the permanent one tomorrow. Glad you liked it :D, i really think writing it all down is helping me to stick with it and I can see where I can improve things when I need to. I must be doing well, I have been carrying around half a packet of haribo sweets in my jacket pocket for the last 3 days and not had any and not wanted any! :eek:

Minihauk - have you tried lo salt or potassium for the cramps?

absolutebounder -Are you just saying artificial sweetner is bad in a scientific way? We all know that and most of us try to steer clear the majority of the time. But occasionally the odd sugar free sweet or 2 isnt really that bad if it stops a craving where a whole packet of normal sweets would have been eaten and then in my case another and the following day/week would have been a sugar binge! Are you also telling the people on the weightwatchers thread not to eat low fat as that is crammed with sugar?
  • Gray_Malkin
    Options
    Yay! Well done Jerry. Way to go girl, you've worked hard for this :j:j:j

Excellent blog nuttybabe - great stuff :cool:

*I'm trying sooo hard not to comment on the other stuff*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts