suspended from work

Options

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    Surely you should have been told a time and a place when you was informed of the meeting. It is unrealistic for him to tell you at the last minute. Was you told by letter about the meeting and also the reason why the meeting was been held and what the disiplinary is about? Step one of the displinary procedure states that you should recieve a letter regarding the details of the meeting plus the accusation. They should also inform you that you are allowed to be accompanied by a union rep or collegue. If they miss step one then at a tribunal they will see any dismissal as being unfair.
  • debbie158
    debbie158 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    hi was told where the meeting would be and time but he was taking me there due to me not being a driver i wouldnt have been able to get there, had a letter stating it was not a disciplinary and due to this my statutuory rights to be accompanied does not apply, goes on to say however, the company will allow to be accompanied by a fellow employer and that it would be up to me to make the neccesary arrangements
  • DON79
    DON79 Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Options
    I would still insist on having a witness, statutory right or not! He is just trying it on so that there will be no witness. You must insist on having a witness present, otherwise it will be your word against his which is exactly what he probably wants. If you do pick a fellow employee, pick carefully - even friends at work might not be of much use in this situation even if you do trust them.

Best of luck!
    BSC #215/No.1 Jan 09 Club
  • debbie158
    Options
    Havnt got anyone who i can trust as a felow employee and i wouldnt want to put them in that situation tbh. But everything i have got to say is all written down and i will also ask for a copy of the minutes
  • ceebeeby
    ceebeeby Posts: 4,357 Forumite
    Options
    You could ask along a senior person from HR, even if you don't know them - to act as a guider for you. Alternatively, I don't think they can stop you from taking along someone if you are deemed to be too ill to cope at the meeting yourself (i.e. you're already stressed, and you need someone to look out for your welfare), someone with an uptodate ACAS / HR background may be able to clarify if this is still right or not.
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Be very careful about relying on their minutes of the meeting. I have been through a disciplinary procedure and ultimately an ET (which I won!:D ), and my employers minutes bore no resemblence to what had been said in meetings whatsoever and were wildly skewed to put them in a favourable light and paint me as the bad guy!

Olias
  • debbie158
    Options
    thanks i will look into it before next meeting is arranged
  • omen666
    omen666 Posts: 2,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    olias wrote: »
    Be very careful about relying on their minutes of the meeting. I have been through a disciplinary procedure and ultimately an ET (which I won!:D ), and my employers minutes bore no resemblence to what had been said in meetings whatsoever and were wildly skewed to put them in a favourable light and paint me as the bad guy!

Olias
    Happened to my sister thankfully won her ET.

suggest you take minutes as well if you go on your own and get them to sign them and each page after the meeting as a true reflection of the meeting
  • RubyRue
    RubyRue Posts: 138 Forumite
    Options
    olias wrote: »

Olias

Have to agree, my work did that to me aswell, their minutes were a work of fiction, if you don't agree with them, don't sign them off as a true account of the meeting!
  • Top_Shopper_2
    Options
    As I understand it you should have been formally told that you are being suspended and a basic outline of why.
    You current pay during this situation also should have been discussed ie: suspended with full pay.
    It is also important for your manager/the company to document this meeting becuase any recall notes and further meetings would have to include a suspended from date.
    If none of this was documented and done verbally you will find the company has left themselves very vulnerable. If you have also to date not received this in writing then I would suggest that you contact the citizens advice bureau and turn up for work!
    Until you have had a formal meeting ending in written confirmation either that day or the next then you are not suspended.
    I don't claim to be an expert but have to follow the procedure in my work.

(I manage a number of branches for a National company)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure