suspended from work

Options

Comments

• HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    Few employers have ever been on the receiving end of disciplinary proceedings and rarely have any insight into the devasting effects it can have. Worst still many seem to believe that when its dealt with (in situations where nobody is dismissed) that they can resume normal service immediately without any fallout.

As a suggestion, as you have the phone number for your HR department, why not just give them a call and ask for them to forward you a copy. Most HR depts are pretty obliging in such situations.

Oh, and of course, make sure you keep a written record of all conversations you have with the company. At the end of your covnersation with HR make sure you ask for the persons name. That should tip them off to the fact that you are keeping a record (tends to get the hearts a-fluttering in my experience).
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • smartpicture
    Options
    Just a thought, but are you sure the colleague is telling the truth? At the moment all you have to go on is them saying you're suspended, which could be a joke or a malicious act by them and all your employer knows is that you haven't turned up at work since Tuesday! I would certainly have continued to go to work as normal until told officially by a manager or HR. You need to go into work in person on Monday and get a definite answer from someone about whether you are suspended or not.
  • debbie158
    debbie158 Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    i did fone my manager up to find out wat was going on and he verified it
  • debbie158
    Options
    HR person is on annual leave did try foning up:(
  • debbie158
    Options
    once i have cleared my name i will be looking for another job, i could not go back there after having this happen...i have worked really hard for this company somtimes doing an 11 hour shift without a break to help out...and this is what happens!!!
  • debbie158
    Options
    hi all still havnt heard nothing from company and its been nrly a week since it happened, i have got some job applications to fill in, so that when its over whether i have a job to go back or not, i couldnt go bk there.
  • AverageJoe_4
    Options
    debbie158 wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice.
    On Tuesday night was told by my work colleague that i have been suspended, was so shocked, as he had known since 3pm and did not mention anything to me until 7.45pm was laughing and joking up til then only when he gave me a lift home, just as i was getting out the car he sais "i have some bad news for you from the manager, you have been suspended", i asked why he said he didnt know i would have to speak to the manager!!
    I phoned him up on the same nite to find out why he was reluctant to tell me saying it was still being investigated, of which i replied will be taking legal action regarding this matter did he let know the reason.

i am now under the drs due to this matter have never experienced anythink like this before, if anyone could help would be grateful
    thank you:confused:

If you're suspended, then it should come from the manager at the start of your shift - obviously other ppl knew so it wasn't a last minute decision, it had been pre-arranged.

1 - if you're suspended, then the manager suspending you should inform you privately, and know one else other than you should have been told - OTHER then perhaps another manager who is delivering the news and acting as the main person suspending you - if u get me..

2 - if the decision came to suspend you was made early (which it was by the sounds of it) then you should not have been allowed to work. you're either suspended or you're not.

I dont know how big your firm is but a lot of investigations and disc's are lost through errors in the procedure from the managerial side, and it sounds as if they've already done it wrong.

ACAS should be able to help. check out their website.

AJ
  • prudence41
    prudence41 Posts: 156 Forumite
    Options
    Poor debbie158. You've been treated appallingly.

Totally agree with advice from HO87 and I would suggest you send a grievance letter in writing (recorded delivery) to the HR Manager asap. Whatever else is going on with your line manager and the suspension, from a procedural view, it's all wrong. And if you don't have anything in writing from the company stating that you are in fact suspended and why, there is a risk that your being away from work could be viewed as unauthorised absence.

Good luck and do let us know how it goes.
    I wanna be Mortgage Free by February 2013
  • debbie158
    Options
    hi all, have tried to fone head office 5 times now and they are still not responding, no contact and no letter still, i have been for an interview for another job today as i cannot see myself going bk there all the trust has gone:( but the good news is a solicitor has offered to take my case on, as this cannot be right...ive nver been suspended before but im sure now its been over a week that its illegal
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    Good news. Employers who treat their employees badly should be pursued as assiduously as so-called bad employees are pursued by their employers.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure