PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sandwich Meat

Options

Comments

• u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh that is great thank you ladies. So just for my understanding is ham made from a gammon joint the same as sandwhich ham. It doesn't matter to be honest because I am going to do this anyway. Its a bit like scampi I've always wondered well what sort of fish is scampi anyway !
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    Ham and gammon are cured differently but they are both from the leg of the pig. I doubt you'll be able to taste any difference.

I believe scampi generally refers to a type of Norwegian prawn but it can also refer to the preparation of the seafood involved (ie deep-fried in breadcrumbs), in which case I think it can also sometimes be lobster, which is why you get "whole tail" scampi. Or something!
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Thanks everyone never thought of this idea. Although for a long time ive been thinking of doing this with beef instead of buying the expensive sandwich slices ( beef joints are often on offer). Would I soak this too?. Must admit its the freezing part that has always put me off as im scarred I would end up giving someone food poisoning. By the way although I regularly buy sandwich ham I dont know what is the going rate of gammon per kg, im gonna look out for it now. Any offers on anywhere ?
    Thanks again
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Options
    You don't need to soak beef, just roast and slice. You can freeze it without any problem at all - just make sure it's well wrapped so it doesn't dry out.

Or - if you like, for example, roast beef and horseradish sarnies, you can just make up the sandwich and freeze that. Saves you faffing about. Salad DOESN'T freeze successfully, but I guess you could always add that once the sandwich is defrosted.
  • jack0212
    jack0212 Posts: 81 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I have been after doing this for a long time as my OH goes through sliced meat like I don't know what and it costs a fortune. I have toyed with the idea of buying a food slicer for ages. I have got loads of joints in the freezer from all the half price offers they were doing in the supermarkets before Chrismas so I think I will give this a try. Thanks again
  • Ladyhawk
    Ladyhawk Posts: 2,064 Forumite
    Options
    Sandwich ham is grimmer than a grim thing! It often is just liquidised pig meat that has been pressed together with stuff ad cooked... as I said - just grim.

So yours sounds a lot better.

As for scampi - it is made using a particular langostinecalled nethrops norvegicus (also known as dublin bay prawn or norwegian lobster). Seeing scampi made has put me off it as well... ewww...
    Man plans and God laughs...
    Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
  • Jei70
    Jei70 Posts: 281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ChocClare wrote: »
    I believe scampi generally refers to a type of Norwegian prawn but it can also refer to the preparation of the seafood involved (ie deep-fried in breadcrumbs), in which case I think it can also sometimes be lobster, which is why you get "whole tail" scampi. Or something!

As I understand it, the difference between "whole tail" and cheaper scampi is the same as between fish fillet fingers and cheap ones. The more expensive ones are made from whole cuts of fish/big prawn tails, while the cheaper ones are made of offcuts and bits held together by the batter/breadcrumbs. The taste is similar (at least to my palate), but the cheaper versions may contain additives to help glue the bits together (not always the case, though).

This was a bit OT, so may I just say, thanks for the idea of cooking my own ham! :D
    Cogito, ergo sum.
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    not to forget Nigellas ham in coca-cola which is fab!1 You just put the gammon joint into a large pan and cover it with regular (not diet) cola and bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes per pound and 20 minutes. Then you just take off the rind and glaze it with your choice of glaze (I use brown sugar, but you can use marmalade, treacle, honey, golden syrup, mustard or whatever). I love ham done this way, but I also saw on a cooking programme where they cooked the ham in the oven only, very slowly covered in marmalade and that looked delicious.

One of the fabbest things I have EVER had was when I lived in Germany years ago. They used to do this thing called Schinken in Brotteig - or ham in bread and it was just a ham, boiled the usual way in water for 20 minutes per pound and then taken out and the rind removed. Then you let it cool before encasing it completely and thickly with freshly made bread dough and baking it at 180 - 200 for about 45 minutes to an hour (you can put mustard on the ham before covering with the bread dough but I don't). The bread dough soaks up loads of lovely ham juice and the ham is lovely and moist.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Going to give this a go over the coming weeks. Am fed up of paying through the nose for plastic ham with an ever decreasing amount of actual meat in it _pale_

Think I'll start with a ham of some sorts (which I'll slice by hand to begin with, may upgrade to an electric slicer further down the line) and a large chicken which I'll shred. That should offer us a bit of variety, and in two to three weeks when I imagine supplies will be running low I'll do another ham (as that is the meat we eat most of) and another meat.

Any one else going to join me?
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    Funny seeing this post as I was just thinking of doing the same thing as I'm desperate to cut my food bill and think this method will help as currently spending quite a bit on packed meats a week. If I cost this against a chicken or piece of ham it would definitely be cheaper to cook joints and carve. I join you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure