We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

the daydream fund challenge thread

Options

Comments

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Well, we went out and got more compost yesterday -but the weather is so soggy -there was no point even going into the garden :mad: ... still all my seeds are sorted and listed so I know what I'm doing (well thats the idea :p ), all my many saved yoghurt pots, milk cartons, loo rolls etc are sorted -so Im poised -ready to pounce :rotfl:
    The only thing I have under way are some slips Im growing on a sweet potato -and they are doing great so far :T -sweet potatoes are so expensive and so are the ready grown slips -10 slips for £11.69 :eek: -i will stick with about 75c for a sweet potato and grow my own ;)

COOLTRIKER... If you are thinking of doing tomato plants etc to sell at car boots and the like I would go for the more unusual varieties too (as even if you can get them to eat in the supermarket they will cost a bomb) -have you thought of taking a good snap of each variety you grow this year(then save some seeds)and keeping them in a file so that when "newbies" are looking at your plants they will be tempted -plus you could print off growing instructions to give with the plants -again, I think it will encourage more people to buy as they will have a bit more confidence in looking after them :D
    Are you planning on making any excess crops up for sale too? or turning them into chutneys etc? -sorry I will have you run off your feet at this rate :rotfl:

I only put loose change in my tin yesterday too :rolleyes: -however -Im managing to save most of the monthly housekeeping -in fact I won't have to use it at all this month as I have some left over from January :j
    I think that for us the dream of a "small holding" may be a bit to far out of reach -however Im more than happy to settle for a house with a decent garden and enough room for some chickens.... so Im aiming for that -fingers crossed:D
    right -back off to my x-stitch -have a good day everyone
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well this is definately mine and OH's dream. In fact there is a lovely double fronted victorian house just up the road from us (we are quite rural). It has a massive garden, 2 greenhouses a big shed and a polytunnel. The land next to it (also owned by the house) is what my daughter calls a baby forest. It is basically a field full of trees, so plenty of wood for the fires and we thought you could even fence an area off for some pigs who would love snuffling around in the leaves.
    Not a smallholdling as such but its our dream. It sold for £325k at the height of the "boom", but after trying and failing to get any planning through for the house area or the woody bit the developer is now trying to sell. Was up for £400k then reduced to £350k. Currently taken off the market (but a neighbour reckons didn't sell) and appears now to be being "done up". The house was boarded up for a long time so I suspect may not be great inside.

There is also a simular property outside my sons school which again had planning turned down (after a big local campaign) but it doesn't have to "wood" just the large garden.

Either would do us rofl so if the lotto comes up ........

Would be nice to start saving towards tho as a long term goal.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi MRSM i have some packs of unusual tomato seeds that hubby bought me for crimbo, and there were only 6 seeds in the pack:eek: thats agood idea about saving the seeds for next year...

i make loads of chutney from our rhruburb sp? so i am sure i will some other varieties as well...lol..

as for my surplus crops, i want to freeze as much as i can etc so i can save money on my future shopping bills, so anything saved in the future can be put into the savings pot.

alibobsy that sounds a wonderfull house, go for it, i get inspired by the mortgage free board, with people trying to pay off their mortgages in 3 years, we have a mortgage at the mo,

resisted the temptation to buy stuff in the cafe, which is right by my unit...lol... so the £3 odd that i would have spent in the cafe has now gone into the pot...

i know its only little bits and pieces on money at mo, but its a start, and everything has got to start somewhere..lol...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    Options
    CTC you're doing really well. I'm very inspired. I'm concentrating on paying off my debts first and then mortgage and then hope to be able to move somewhere with a big garden at least! Meanwhile I'll just keep going with my little veg plot!
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    JayneC wrote: »
    CTC you're doing really well. I'm very inspired. I'm concentrating on paying off my debts first and then mortgage and then hope to be able to move somewhere with a big garden at least! Meanwhile I'll just keep going with my little veg plot!

just remember nothing is impossible, i read alot of the threads on the debt free wannabe to get ideas and to get inspired, i have sort of 'nicked' the pay a debt a day theme, where regardless of how much it is, pay something everyday towards something, and this is what i am doing for my daydream fund. even if its a handfull of coppers its all making go in the right direction.

hopefully at the begining of April i am going to start taking a wage out of my business, and all this will be going into my fund. up until now we have lived off hubby's wages and have just about managed with a lot of forward planning and thought on what we buy,

tonight i am going to try and list some things on ebay, even if its just a few things, so hopefully i should have ebay money starting to come into my fund in a week or so.

cant wait until the weekend, so i can plant more seeds up...:j
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CTC, you will have to be careful growing those beans for profit! I started like that and, before I knew what was happening, I found myself with a trailer, attending car boot sales on fairly a regular basis. A couple of years down the line, DW bought a little van and started trading in the local market. After that, it was just a small step to a big van and regular plant fairs too.....

We only had the (supersize) back garden, but somehow we ran a business from it and still worked part-time too. In 2007 we stopped working for others and survived on the business alone, just to prove we could do it. (Thank you Gordon for all those lovely tax credits!)

We've retired from selling now (honest, Mr HMRC) because we're relocating to somewhere wild and woolly, and there won't be such a large, rich and ready market as there is here. In the future, I think that those who control their own food, water and wood supplies will be the ones who fare best in a world of diminishing resources.

So, you never know where growing a few beans might lead....
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Morning everyone

I have finally got my list of seeds sorted (heck knows how many times I have done this -then had to add to it :p ) -so I have a grand total of 86 varieties of seeds to set :rotfl: -not bad baring in mind I have to grow everything in tubs n pots :p -mind 20 of those are tomatoes varieties :j -I have a serious thing for growing tomatoes :D

I threw a few more coppers into the sealed pot yesterday -and looking at what is in my purse -I should be able to put an extra €40 away tomorrow :T ...

My savings will also be used if we have any calamity with the car etc -but failing that -they are staying where they are....
    Im not sure if it will help if I stick my running total in my signature :confused: ... will have a think :D
  • elliep_2
    elliep_2 Posts: 711 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CoolTrikerChick - if those packs of seeds that only had 6 in were from a company you can trace then write to them. I had some unwins seeds that said enough for 60 plants but there was only 20 seeds. I wrote to them and they sent me an appology letter and a new replacement packet.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    elliep there were only suposed to be 6 seeds in them:eek:

Davesnave...lol.... i am lucky in one way as i have a transit and a very long Iveco van,

one of my hobbies have now turned into a full time job, plus i had to employ staff to help...

dont think i could manage another hobby turning into a full time job..lol... too much stress, but you never know,

managed to save £30 by convincing hubby its best to stay in tonight;) so the money is going straight into the fund, so now my total is .....£80..

will be doing some batch cooking this weekend, and freezing in individual portions, so if i am to tired to cook during the week, we will not venture to the takeaway.. which has been happening lately..

i have been doing my daily free scratchcard on the virgin bingo site.. and the total is up to £7.70 so not long before i will be able to cash out my free money..lol...

slice the pie money is slowing creeping up, but i only do much time on there..

I have signed up to the ING Direct savings account which gives you £20 for opening an account.

i am going to keep a close eye of any loopholes and any easy cashback deals etc... as it is suprising on how they will all mount up..

i know its not going to be easy..lol..... but i will have a dame good go..:D
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Options
    Evening all

I have posted this somewhere else, and on my blog -but thought I would share on here -what I have created to keep my brassicas safe from butterflies this year....

it still needs a bit more tidying up-it will never win awards for be a thing of beauty, but as long as it keeps the bloomin butterflies out I don't care :j plus Im now thinking of growing the cumbers up the outside instead of inside-which will camouflage it a little and provide shade for the brassicas...
    I have a few little holes to darn and a bit more tightening and securing -but its covered :T
    doorend.th.jpg
    covered.th.jpg
    I have quite a bit of growing space in there -and will be wedging a few troughs in too ;) ...and once filled with compost -the troughs around the outside wil keep the cover weighted down :j-not bad for 3 arches I got for €2 each and some mosquito panels from a broken gazebo:p -and I have 6 more arches for beans etc too;)
    Now I just need for the weather to dry up and to get the patio and pots cleaned up and in place then I'm allready to go :D
    I have stashed that €40 in the back of my purse for now and will wait until the end of the month to put it in the bank -hopefully with some more to keep it company :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport