PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went to several different schools as my Dad's job meant we moved around every couple of years, but the last one I went to had really good school dinners. We had butterscotch tart and chocolate flan. My favourite savoury thing was a rice dish called "Atzem pilaff" - I think it had tomato in it but I don't know what else. I've never come across it since and I'm 52 now! Has anyone got a recipe?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No hits at all on google! It must have been a made up local name. We always used to call a currant pie "Fly pie", for example.

Lots of lovely cooked flies in pastry. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Is this similar?

Tomato Pilaf

Serves 6

1 1/2 cups clear chicken stock or vegetable broth
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1 lb. tomatoes, peeled and seeded
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1 1/2 cups long-grain rice
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    1/4 cup chopped basil
    Toasted pine nuts (optional)

Heat the stock to a slow simmer while you prepare the rest of the pilaf.
    Chop the peeled tomatoes coarsely. Gently sauté the onion and garlic in the oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the vegetables are soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes and cinnamon and cook over gentle heat for about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir to mix well. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the simmering stock. Stir once to mix, then cover and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in the herbs and serve.

Toasted pinenuts make a nice garnish that adds crunch and interest. Stir in a tablespoon or two with the basil.
  • mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    I made the chocolate cake pudding that was in the Times ages ago, it was from the book written by the dinner lady who worked on Jamie Oliver's school dinner programme, it tasted just like the one we used to have at school with chocolate custard - delicious, I was transported back to being 7 years old!
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    Options
    my mum was a dinner lady at school 70's , she was a marvellous cook and don't if its because she was german or because she worked at school.

she always went on about how ' betty the cook' there used the bero book.
    so maybe some of the school recipes are in there?? she died nine years ago and we miss her and her wonderfull dinners very much!!!
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • patchwork_cat
    Options
    We used to have a chocolate pudding called mersey mud anyone else have this.( realise that I am narrowing my area down rather!)
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    No hits at all on google! It must have been a made up local name. We always used to call a currant pie "Fly pie", for example.

Lots of lovely cooked flies in pastry. :)

I know what you mean, we call meat pies - maggot bags.:eek: For every good reason too. Not so much now, but when we were at school, you always had to open up the top bit first to peer into the meat. I very rarely ate pies. I only eat my HM ones now. In OZ our school system never did cooked lunches like that. We have tuckshop which the rich kids bought their lunch, we all took lunch from home. Mainly packed sandwiches & fruit. In summer we were allowed to have a ice block once a week. :drool: Coconut ice flavour was to die for. ;)
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• wobblebottom
    Options
    Lots of lovely cooked flies in pastry.

The only thing i can think of is Eccles Cakes or a variation on..

Now who mentioned Choc sponge and Mint custard.. that was my fav.. yummy....

My Dad was caretaker at the high school i went to and every day the canteen ladies used to send him back home with loads of left over puds.. so we used to have them after tea.. and i remember arguing with my mum over who got the the Chocolate semolina.. it was yummy scrumptious..
    BSC Member #97- Discharged 4/2/09
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Hallowe'en Queen, the tomato pilaff recipe sounds lovely - will try it out very soon and let you know if it tastes like what we had at school!

At the time, the name "Atzem pilaff" made me think of the Aztecs, but now I reckon it might be Turkish.

Sorry, I haven't worked out how to do the Quote thing yet..... :rolleyes:

ivyleaf x
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    You're welcome ivy !! Hope its like the one you had!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure