PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Please can anyone help me find the receipes for 'Honey Buns'??? They were a bread like consistency ozzing with honey and were served warm with icing sugar on top.
    I absolutely adore them and woudl love to know how to make them. Please can anyone help me?
    There are thousands of different recipes for honey buns on the web, many of them wildly different so I have no idea which one might be yours.

I don't know if you can pick yours out from this search page?

Honey bun search
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • llac
    llac Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    First post so I hope it works!
    just had to say we had semolina and pears on our menu today and up until last term we had cheese pie on the menu too!
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheese pie and mash and beans! YUM! :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • lyns_2
    lyns_2 Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    Found his recipe last night for chocolate concrete not sure what i did wrong but it was nasty nothing like it used to taste,it was soggy in the middle rose way above the tin crispy on the top.Sure it used to be hard at school as it used to fly out of the bowl without the custard.
    Have a look at the recipe and see if it sounds right
    10 oz SR flour
    8 OZ marg
    8 oz sugar
    10z cocoa
    1 egg
    melt marg add rest and press into tin.Brush with water and add sugar cook on gas mark 1 for 20 min
    Number 4 due 21st jan
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    I was at school in London between 1971 and 1984 and in those days schools were run by the Inner London Education Authority, I don't know if that has any bearing on things.

Recipes I recall from primary school:
    Few cubes of Spam in a ladle of baked beans
    Grey fishfingers
    2 scrawny chipolatas
    Beefburgers you could sole your boots with (2 burgers for boys, half for girls - don't know what was worse!)
    Salad made entirely of tinned vegetables and pickled beetroot, with optional dead flies if you wanted protein
    Cooking instructions: Place in low oven at 9AM and dish up three hours later. The exception is salad which must not be refrigerated under any circumstances.

Every meal was accompanied with two scoops of mash which had baked to concrete consistency along with the rest of the meal.

Pudding was usually a variation on milk pud with pink syrup. No-one wanted milk pud so we were permitted to just drink bowls of pink syrup.

Packed lunches were forbidden, the option was home lunch. If you were on free meals or had working parents then you were stuck with school dinners. Thankfully my mum was a stroppy cow and insisted that my brother and I could have packed lunches, along with the Fat Kid, The Lone Vegetarian and the Funny Foreigner. We were banished to a classroom in a different part of the building at lunchtime and generally treated like pariahs.

Secondary school was no better, but then we were allowed out at lunchtime and for 30p (the price of a school meal) we could get fish and chips which was yummy. Fish and chips are a bit low on vitamins but so were school dinners!

For a while I went to a different school in Bucks where the food was more palatable but in retrospect I realise that it was all ready made processed food and was hugely expensive (double what the meals had cost in the London school).

Reading this thread, and in the wake of the Jamie Oliver series, I'm always puzzled by the claims that school dinners were so much better in the old days. I reckon you lot were lucky, because the slop we were given was quite revolting and given a choice I would rather have Turkey Twizzlers.

I'd like to interview a few of my ex dinner ladies and ask them how they slept at night. I wouldn't have fed that food to a dog, and anyone who forces cabbage into a small vomiting child should be locked up :mad: . My mum worked as a dinner lady for just one day and walked out in disgust. That and the cabbage vomit incident are the reason I had packed lunches.
  • Lipsticklady
    Options
    Thanks Squeaky,

thats the problem, all the receipes vary widely. The ones i mean were like sweet bread with honey in them that were oven baked and the honey would ooze out. They were delicious and i assume quite healthy also as the sugar was natural.
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There were a number of sweet breads listed among those links. Might be worth trying one of them and then having a guess at how much it needs changing to taste right...?

Or not :)
  • Wardy
    Wardy Posts: 261 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate crunch? It's an old school favourite of my hubbys and he keeps asking if i've found a copy so I can make him some!
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Options
    we had a thread on this a few days ago. If you do a search on Chocolate Crunch or school puddings, you'll find it.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

The site is very slow at the moment because the newsletter is being posted but the thread you want is in the link below. What I'll do later is merge your thread to that one. You'll need to read from the beginning to catch up with us all :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=15419
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport