PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    i ended up having some the next day with custard :D

i can't tell you how good it was as thats just not fair to you ;)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quillion wrote: »
    Adele from Sheffield
    Here is the cheese pie recipe, hope you enjoy (my mother in law used to work in the school kitchens):
    8oz plain flour
    2oz butter
    2oz lard
    1 small onion
    2 eggs beaten into half pint milk
    loads of cheese (mature red is best)
    Method: rub the flour and fat to form breadcrumbs add a little water to make a dough, roll out and place in flan dish, blind bake for about 10 mins.
    Remove from oven, add chopped onion and grate cheese until flan dish full (about half a pound) pour in egg and milk mix, cook in oven for about 30 mins at 160. Voila school cheesepie.

and

Isa Lancashire Lass, Derbyshire
    The great school cheese pie of the 1970s recipe.Yes - I think I've cracked it. I made this last night and the taste and texture match what I remember. Use a rectangular brownie tin to make it inLine the tin with pastry and up the sides. Mix 5 ozs grated mature cheddar (or cheese to your liking) with approx 10 ozs cottage cheese, 1 whole medium egg, 4 ozs milk. Bake blind the pastry alone for 10 mins at 210 oC. Pour in cheese mix and cook in oven at 170 oC (fan oven) may need 180 oC/190 oC for non-fan oven) for approx 30 mins or until top is set and golden. This pie has the lumpy (from the cottage cheese), tangy feel that I recall. It passed the family taste test. Enjoy.

Will have to just try both xx

Not pregnanat Toots just the Food !!!!!! again lol apparantly its quite a common side effect.

I just made the second of those recipes (but also added onion) and it was spot on with my memories of my school dinner version. Yay :)

Note: If you do use onion I'd suggest that "less is more" and to lightly fry or soften the onion before adding it.

But yes - a great success thanks :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    Oh, and chocolate pudding with pink, yes pink custard....what was that all about?

We seemed to be force fed lots of overcooked limp dark green cabbage and swede too _pale_

I loved chocolate sponge and pink custard - I don't know how to recreate the custard though as I can't find packet blancmange.

Spam fritters were the worst things we ever had - oil slick in batter _pale_

Why do schools overcook vegetables? My children told me that the sprouts served for the school christmas dinner just dissolve if you touch them. Yuck! (they have packed lunches so don't have to eat them)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 December 2011 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Wasn't the pink custard just custard that was coloured with cochineal?

Hmm... or was it still warm unset blancmange?

I'm pretty sure that this is still available at most superstores... hang on... here ya go, assorted flavour packet mixes from Arsda for a mere 45p...

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estore/search/searchcontainer.jsp?trailSize=1&searchString=blancmange&domainName=Products&headerVersion=v1&_requestid=166973
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Justamum
    Options
    squeaky wrote: »
    Wasn't the pink custard just custard that was coloured with cochineal?

Hmm... or was it still warm unset blancmange?

From what I remember it was raspberry flavoured, so I always assumed it was warm blancmange.

Thanks for the link, but we don't have Asda here - I'll check in Tesco next time I'm in.
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Justamum wrote: »

Spam fritters were the worst things we ever had - oil slick in batter _pale_
    I used to eat the spam and give my friend the batter.

BTW AFAIK (unless you make traditional custard) custard is just yellow vanilla flavoured blancmange - it's just milk cornflour colouring and flavouring (plus sugar for most people).
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • Justamum
    Options
    SusanC wrote: »
    BTW AFAIK (unless you make traditional custard) custard is just yellow vanilla flavoured blancmange - it's just milk cornflour colouring and flavouring (plus sugar for most people).

I've often made custard using cornflour and vanilla flavouring. I think the yellow colouring is to try and make it look like a more traditional custard - or creme anglais - which gets a delicate yellow colour from the eggs. Custard powder just overdoes the colour!

I have tried to get some raspberry flavouring to make a raspberry flavoured pink custard, but to no avail. :(. The red colouring is no problem.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My version of school cheese pie

I make a roux in a large bowl with flour and butter, and add hot milk, then cheese and two eggs. It needs to be a fairly thick mixture to make a firm pie. I then pour it into a pastry case and bake. I rarely measure quantities as I know when it is right due to the consistency of the mixture.

I often cut these into portions and freeze, lovely cold with salad or warm with mash and veg (or baked beans and mash, as others have described).

As has been mentioned before, this does not have the consistency of a quiche and is very filling as in 'sticks to the ribs'.

Now if anyone has a recipe for Apple Charlotte, I would love to have it. I so wish I had kept the recipies from my school cookery lessons
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Frogletina wrote: »
    Now if anyone has a recipe for Apple Charlotte, I would love to have it. I so wish I had kept the recipies from my school cookery lessons

I think that was also know as Brown Betty, there are a couple of recipes here, one from 1955, the other from 1978.

http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/dessert_recipes.html

Not sure if they are what you looking for, otherwise I do have the recipe in a 50 year old Woman's Own book if you would like me to post that recipe tomorrow.
  • Frogletina
    Frogletina Posts: 3,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 January 2012 at 11:35PM
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    I think that was also know as Brown Betty, there are a couple of recipes here, one from 1955, the other from 1978.

http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/dessert_recipes.html

Not sure if they are what you looking for, otherwise I do have the recipe in a 50 year old Woman's Own book if you would like me to post that recipe tomorrow.

Thank you

It is the layering that I remember doing, but I had forgotten there was any lemon juice and I was wondering if oats were used at all. I remember my mum used to put an oaty top on apple crumble but she never made an apple charlotte or brown betty

I will try both of these recipies and let you know how I got on. I make my own wholemeal bread and I would have taken that to school for my cookery lessons too.

How does the book recipe differ please?
    Not Rachmaninov
    But Nyman
    The heart asks for pleasure first
    SPC 8 £1567.31 SPC 9 £1014.64 SPC 10 # £1164.13 SPC 11 £1598.15 SPC 12 # £994.67 SPC 13 £962.54 SPC 14 £1154.79 SPC15 £715.38 SPC16 £1071.81⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Declutter thread - ⭐⭐🏅
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure