PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    no prob was the choc sponge the one with choc custard? Thats what we got anyway :rotfl:
    They used to do everything from scratch in my mums kitchen used to love when I had to go to work with her and be spoilt with endless food..
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya :)

We have a long running thread on school dinners with lots of old favourite recipes in it, so I have added this thread onto it but you'll have to browse from the beginning to catch up.

It's one of our threads that should have a special warning notice - "Do not read this thread if you are hungry!" :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the Chocolate Custard link in post 194 is dead so try here for an easy choc custard recipe using custard powder ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Options
    This has just reminded me about lemon love cake mmmmmmmmmmm! I wonder if anyone has the recipe for that? it'd be lovely with my HM lemon curd!
  • radiohelen
    Options
    Lemon Love Cake

S.R FLOUR 1 1/4 LBS
    MARG 10oz
    SUGAR 10oz
    EGGS 2
    LEMON CURD 1 LB

rub the fat into the flour add sugar and mix well put the bowl of mixture into oven and warm slightly
    bind together with the egg to a stiff paste do not add water or milk.
    keep mixing until a soft smooth texture is obtained
    roll out and line tray with half the mixture spread on the lemon curd and cover with the other half of the mixture
    bake in a slow oven for 3/4 to 1 hour.
    this is enough for 25 servings.

HTH
    Well behaved women rarely make history.
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Right spoke to my mum re the choc sponge and she said they used to sub part of the flour for cocoa eg
    4oz mix they would use 2oz cocoa and 2 oz self raising flour
    She was chuffed to bits to hear people actually fondly remembered their school dinners :D

Everything in her kitchen was cooked from scratch I used to love going in there if I had to meet her for dentist app etc the machinery was huge! There were only 5 of them part time and they cooked for 400 infants and juniors + staff every day.
  • newwen112
    newwen112 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sweet "fake" cream we used to get piped on our desserts?
  • Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newwen112 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sweet "fake" cream we used to get piped on our desserts?

Why have you copied an earlier question that was already answered???

Answer is here, from earlier post...

Here is a recipe for Mock Cream from my Mum's (1940's) personal recipe book:

2 ozs margerine
    2 ozs caster sugar
    2 tablespoons hot water
    2 tablespoons hot milk
    Flavouring

Beat the fat until soft, add the sugar and cream together until light and fluffy. Beat in the water drop by drop, then beat in the milk drop by drop. Flavour to taste.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 March 2011 at 9:22PM
    Options
    Evening all.

Just wanted to post to tell you about the (amateur) taste trial that we conducted for tea tonight, using Quillion's post of recipes for school cheesy pie (pg 18).

What a roaring success!!! I followed the 'Isa Lancashire Lass' version(using own familiar pastry recipe), but, there was a definite nod to 'Adele's' version too because I used Red mature cheddar in the pie as suggested.

I followed Maitre d' Squeaky's suggestion of serving it with mash and baked beans. Whilst you'll all be disappointed to learn that I do not possess a trigger action ice-cream scoop :o to give it that authentic school-meal presentation, you'll be relieved that I did happen upon some cheap baked beans (not in a catering-size tin) that had the requisite 3 beans per square foot of tomato sauce :rotfl:

I did not tell DP what I was up to, and just dished up a portion and waited. First comment was, 'mmmm this mash is nice' - loused up there then - no lumps!!!!! (tsk!) and then there was a taste of the pie............ a pause........ then a comment of, 'don't take this the wrong way..... but this tastes just like the cheese pie we used to have at school, but that was a square slice....' RESULT!

What made me even happier was that the cottage cheese had been whoopsied down to 4p (yes, 4p!!) use by 1/3/11, the red cheddar had been on special (for a pack, only used some in this recipe) offer 50% off in N*tto, and the egg was from a pack of 6 organic eggs reduced to 40p in co0p BB 2/3/11. Tea for tuppence! (OK not quite tuppence, but....) Because I had the oven on, I also made a cherry cake (used up rest of cheap eggs and cherries picked last summer off a neighbours tree for free) a 'crimped edge pie' with the left over pastry and a bit of cheese and onion and a crumble made with whoopsied apples and foraged blackberries from the freezer. How OS/MSE!

So thank you Quillion, and also to all the contributors to this thread (and all the dinner ladies of Great Britain who have been mercilessly sought out for the contents of their recipe folders!) for not only such a good recipe - but also the 'feel good' factor that the odd indulgence in nostalgia gives us!

Greying
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £6.44/215
    Non-food household spend May £0/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Diflower
    Diflower Posts: 601 Forumite
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    At the risk of showing my age here - It was Semolina Pudding & Pink Blamange in my day _pale_ .......no need for either of them to exist on this planet in my opinion ;)

Oh, and chocolate pudding with pink, yes pink custard....what was that all about?

We seemed to be force fed lots of overcooked limp dark green cabbage and swede too _pale_

We had those too. Actually semolina was one of very few things I liked, possibly because it didn't have gristle;) In my first term (aged about 4 1/2) I was made to sit away from the rest of the class with my dinner in front of me because I hadn't eaten it. There was a sausage - the first bite was pure gristle, there was no way I could eat any more after that. Mashed potato, complete with those big hard grey lumps. I don't remember the veg.
    I couldn't eat it, the teacher tried force-feeding me, I threw up...what did they expect? The only thing we were allowed to leave was mashed potato, I became expert at shovelling everything else inside it:) There was no kitchen there, it came from another school, I dreaded every mealtime. And my mum was no wondercook so I wasn't spoilt at home, although she did cook me things I liked - some of the time..

We weren't allowed packed lunches until the last year at junior school, then not allowed at grammar school for the first year at least. I did like the cheese pie.
    Still, I was never in any danger of getting fat:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport