PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Comments

• mmmmmmmm cheese flan!!!

I loved school food but it wasn't rather healthy

My mam is a teacher and some of the food they get now is beautiful!! They eat much better now
  • What a lovely thread - when I was young my Mum was a cook at my primary school (many moons ago!) and I loved school dinners! Wasn't so keen by the time I was at Grammar School but lovely memories particularly of the lovely puddings!
    Be nice to each other
    Robbiedoggy
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    I LOVED school dinners!! Chicken pie was fab. We also had a sausage and tomato pie and pork and pineapple curry. I'd love the recipe for any of them!!!
  • nicksas2001
    nicksas2001 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 11 November 2013 at 10:45PM
    I'm looking for a recipe for the tomato sauce we had at school. It was served warm poured over battered fish with mashed potato and peas. It was very smooth like heinz tomato soup but had a strong distinctive flavour. I think it was a little bit thicker and darker than tomato soup. Hopefully someone will have the recipe. I've seen a couple of posts where people have mentioned it but no recipe yet. I also loved ginger pudding with white custard mmm!!:)

I've actually found the recipe for the tomato sauce. If anyone wants it, just mail me.
  • Queenie wrote: »
    The only school dinner recipes I have are the one's given to me from my primary school head cook after many times of [STRIKE]begging[/STRIKE] asking nicely :D

In my cookery binder I have:-

Main Meal:-
    York Patty
    Minced Beef Cobbler
    Minced pork roast
    Swedish Meatballs
    Pork & Bean Casserole
    Wholemeal Pizza
    Egg and Cheese Flan
    Cheese Scotch Eggs

Desserts:-
    Gainsborough Tart
    Gypsy Tart
    Choc. Crispy Shortcake
    Coconut and Orange Flan
    Fruit Shortcake
    Wholemeal Scones
    Oat Cookies
    Clear Lemon Sauce
    Canadian Shortbread.

If you recognise the name of the ones you are looking for in the above, let me know :):)

Hi Queenie

If it isn't too late after 4 years!!! Could I please have the recipe for the Egg and Cheese Flan? I have been trying to make one for years but without success.

Thank you in advance.

Mary :j
  • natlie
    natlie Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    catznine wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sweet "fake" cream we used to get piped on our desserts? I used to love that!

Hi
    I think it is UHT whipping cream, I use this to make roulade sometimes as it stays stable for longer than fresh cream - its also good in sponge and if you over whip it its more like a think moose or topping and lightly whipped it is like the school style topping - its great for piping bags too

Dairy crest sell it and I am sure you must be able to buy it in supermarkets with the UHT milk
    HTH
    Nat
    xxx
    DMP: £30,668 £3,364.02 DFD July 2024
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Originally Posted by catznine viewpost.gif
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sweet "fake" cream we used to get piped on our desserts? I used to love that!

Do you mean dream topping?

Sandy
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    mary86 wrote: »
    Hi Queenie

If it isn't too late after 4 years!!! Could I please have the recipe for the Egg and Cheese Flan? I have been trying to make one for years but without success.

Thank you in advance.

Mary :j
    Mary - queenie hasn't been online for over two years. here, here and here are recipes within this thread. There is a cheese flan thread, but Pink links back to this thread if that makes sense!:rotfl:
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Hi zippy chick

I would be waiting for a long time for Queenies reply.

I'll try all of the cheese pies to see if they are like the original.

Thank you.

Mary
  • Mothership
    Mothership Posts: 823 Forumite
    We used to get this at school in Glasgow for lunch everyone loved it, does anyone remember it? Does anyone know how to make it??????
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    :rotfl::j:wave::j:rotfl:
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business