PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• jo1972
    jo1972 Posts: 8,901 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2023 at 8:11PM
    Options
    We didn't have Spam, we used to have "Plumrose Plopped Ham with Chalk!"

Ummmm, sounds delicious :undecided
    DFW Nerd no. 496 - Proud to be dealing with my debts!!
  • jo1972
    Options
    My earliest school dinner memory has to be when I was about 6 or 7 and we there were about 8 of us sat around a table and we were served up semolia with a jam blob _pale_

We all refused point blank to eat it and the dinner lady refused to let us get up from the table until we'd cleared our plates, it makes me gag just thinking of it.

That is my OH's fav pud and he even eats it now _pale_
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I remember when there as a potato shortage, so instead of mash with the dinner, they gave us bread. One day I had greens and put them in the bread. Surprisingly, greens sandwiches were rather nice!
  • jo1972
    Options
    Gigervamp, now that actually sounds nice!
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    edited 26 May 2009 at 1:59PM
    Options
    jo1972 wrote: »
    My earliest school dinner memory has to be when I was about 6 or 7 and we there were about 8 of us sat around a table and we were served up semolia with a jam blob _pale_

We all refused point blank to eat it and the dinner lady refused to let us get up from the table until we'd cleared our plates, it makes me gag just thinking of it.

That is my OH's fav pud and he even eats it now _pale_

Actually, if I remember rightly the wallpaper paste, sorry semolina, was the pudding that usually followed the greasy pastry, pallid cheesy filling pie and watery, tinned...etc etc etc !!!!!:rotfl:

Mind you I credit those early character building experiences with making me into the woman I am today!! (Whatever that is?)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jo1972 wrote: »
    My earliest school dinner memory has to be when I was about 6 or 7 and we there were about 8 of us sat around a table and we were served up semolia with a jam blob

Did you not whizz it round and round with your spoon till it went pink?
  • jo1972
    edited 13 September 2023 at 8:11PM
    Options
    Did you not whizz it round and round with your spoon till it went pink?

Oh god!! That is just wrong wrong wrong :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all some of the recipes on here sound lush. Shame our school meals weren't like that. Ours were the most most vilest concoctions known to man. Only those aged 4-7 got nice food after that down hill. Custard with skin, gravy with skin,hard mash potato, hard bread, cold beans urghhh. Only barely edible things were yoghurt's and boiled potatoes with mint and even that's pushing it.
    Used to find all sorts in the food, glass, sricks, ash _pale_ Seriously disgusting.

Mid ninties may have 1992 ish ALL of Y3,4,5,6 came down with salmonella poisoning, i managed to contract yellow jaundice along with 100 other pupils, school food to blame.

School meals now are much nicer, the school had an open day so :drool: moreish could eat they everyday esp the jacket pots yummy!

By the way pease pudding is just boiled down yellow split peas mixed with mustard, always a firm favourite in our house.
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed recipes to this Thread, I've made a note of a few and tonight we are trying the Cheese Pie and the Chocolate Concrete - yuuuuummmmmm.;)
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scotsaver wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed recipes to this Thread, I've made a note of a few and tonight we are trying the Cheese Pie and the Chocolate Concrete - yuuuuummmmmm.;)

2 of my favourites! I'm first in the queue outside your door :D

we had lovely school meals, Ma Perret's roasters are legend! ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family