PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

School days recipes

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I enjoyed reading through this thread and collecting the recipes, thanks everyone!

I went to school in the 50s and 60s and I always loved school dinners at both my schools. Maybe we were lucky living in the country and being relatively small schools though, we had lots of fresh veg and salads and we were obviously blessed with having really good cooks.

Grammar school pastry was so light and crumbly. Cheese pie was one of my favourites - got the recipe now, thanks! I loved the liver, beef wellington, fish pie, also the roasts - ma perret's roast potatoes were to die for! Puddings were great too, I used to love semolina, choc crunch and coconut tart. beautiful sponge pudds and pies. I'd forgotten about mock cream, loved that too and got the recipe now thanks to you great posters on this thread! :beer:

OMG this thread is so bad for the waistline :rotfl:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    pink custard I use to love it on chocolate sponge
  • sahararose
    Options
    I only ever once had a school dinner (used to be a sandwiches kid!!) and that was the cheese and onion or cheese and potatopie they used to do. I used to absolutely love the smell of it too !!!

Does anyone have the recipe for it, pretty please ?

xx
  • Plum_Pie
    Plum_Pie Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    These should help you along.

Potato Pie
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=566566&postcount=153

Cheese and onion Pasty
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=468723&postcount=96

I see you're very new on this site *Welcome!*

The sticky near the top of this board has loads of great recipes, try looking there first and then ask if you don't understand something (some have more details than others!) or can't find what you want.

HTH
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    School dinners ....... :p

When I started school in 1953 they were 5 shillings a week and when I left in 1964 they were 5 shillings a week. There seemed to be little difference in the meals.

I remember the pie - I think. Was there pastry and the filling was potato and onion with cheese on the top?

Anyone remember the salads? A tin dish with rows of cubed beetroot, big, cold peas, chopped cabbage, cubed tinned carrots - I wasn't too keen, but by lunchtime we were so hungry we ate it.

Anyone remember those - not glass glasses - with - snigger, snigger 'durex' written on the bottom. If only I'd known why durex was a funny word!!!!;)
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    Our school dinners were pretty revolting. They were cooked at another school about five miles away and delivered in large metal tins with lids so things like pastry would be soggy because of the steam in the tins.

The teachers took turns to supervise dinners and it always seemed to something really horrible on a Thursday when the teacher who made us eat everything up was on duty.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's a great thread on school dinners so I'll merge this one with it to keep all the replies together.

Pink
  • kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    Options
    I remember getting apple pie with wensleydale cheese. Wow. It was wonderful. Mind, most of the rest wasn't. I was a vege in those days and so I got veges plus a lump of cheese! Though like everyone else, my favourite memory is of gypsy pudding. Yumyumyum.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Options
    Just read thro all of this thread.
    Brought back lots of memories of school dinners..mostly horrible...pink custard ...yeuk...tubey liver...over boiled veg...icecream dollops of mashed potato with lumps (usually grey)...took me about 20 years to start to like veggies after that.....pig bins of left over uneaten food

I went to a girls only grammar school and why did they think we needed so many sugary stodgy puddings and even solld iced buns and donuts at break times

I do remember some sort of roly poly meat pudding, which was probably a suet based pastry with a, 'thin' layer of mincemeat, and one of those large aluminium trays with a meat pie with fatty gristly meat

OH school dinners cost 2/1d a week...yes he is that old
    Thanks everyone
  • sahararose
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    School dinners ....... :p

When I started school in 1953 they were 5 shillings a week and when I left in 1964 they were 5 shillings a week. There seemed to be little difference in the meals.

I remember the pie - I think. Was there pastry and the filling was potato and onion with cheese on the top?

Anyone remember the salads? A tin dish with rows of cubed beetroot, big, cold peas, chopped cabbage, cubed tinned carrots - I wasn't too keen, but by lunchtime we were so hungry we ate it.

Anyone remember those - not glass glasses - with - snigger, snigger 'durex' written on the bottom. If only I'd known why durex was a funny word!!!!;)

That's the one !!! I'd love to try that !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport