PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• fatcattaff
    fatcattaff Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    PS...how do you get a star??? Walks off in ignorance, feeling like the kid that never gets picked for teams (again!). :)
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March £320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
  • CherryPie
    CherryPie Posts: 429 Forumite
    Options
    Congratultions RachelMK!! :beer:

It's so cold up here just now I may have to actually turn on my heating!! :eek: Not good after getting a horrendous gas bill in. However I intend to make my first batch of twinks hobnobs this afternoon so maybe that will heat me up a bit. Not sure it'll do much for the diet though!

I have some frozen spinach portions, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for what to do with it? :confused:

Also invested in some seedlings at the weekend, peppers to start as I can start them off on the kitchen window ledge. (I have no garden!!) Then Mum will need to do the rest after that.
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    Do some people do this non calendar month as I just read a post that says 6 days in? ???

Twas me :D -my hubby gets paid on the 24th/25th each month -so i work from 25th-25th ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • GreenandThrifty
    Options
    glad to be officially on the challenge!!! Hoping I'll come in way under though, making meal planners and documenting whatI spend has kinda changed my outlook and even a 70p coffee is now shunned in favour of taking my own in a flask!!!! :D
    Have done my shop this morning MrA delivering tomorrow should be £37.69
    Food budget: Nov £80 / 2.33 /0.00/0.00/00.00(.)
    Splurges (if I list them here I might remember I've already treated myself!!(.)
    NSD 2/3
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kezlou wrote: »
    Some people atart they budgets slighty earlier than others depending on when they have been paid. I'm doing mine from 1st - 31 March while some are doing it from 25th Feb - 23rd March.
    Hope that clears some confusion up, that confused me last month, as this is only my second month of taking part.

Thanks. Same here . Only my second month. Good luck to everyone this month btw.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congrats rachel :j well another nsd here took the lasagne out of the freezer last night for tea and will make a pasta bake for those of us that will not eat lasagne.
    Thanks to all who replied about my banana bread i will freeze what i have left.....my neighbour popped over before to tell me killer (my cat) was hiding out in her back garden and it seems she loves banana bread so have managed to off load/gift one on to her :j which will save me some freezer space and makes me feel as if i hadnt wasted anything.x
  • fletch3163
    fletch3163 Posts: 900 Forumite
    Options
    hello all

I have to try to read at work (lunch break obviously) as I'm now committed to TWO whole threads. I'm too nosey to skip bits so it sometimes gets the better of me.

This is my very first time taking the challenge and, after adding up my month's bank statement to show just under £600 pm spent in supermarkets, I vow to change:D

A wee Morrison's spend for me of £10.64, but this includes silly DH (who thinks he's Carnegie) buying a small tub of clotted cream (88p), "best" scones (98p) and Jersey full fat milk (98p) so three quid of that tenner on a husband's "fancy".

Am determined not to put any more food into the freezer, only out of it. Am ever hopeful
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • FiBe_3
    FiBe_3 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Could I join please???

I am going for £120 for the month (21 Feb - 21 March) just me (and occasionally bf to feed).

Already spent:
    £45 Tescos
    £12 Aldi
    £16 Wilkos (does include £4.80 on cooking utensils though)
    £8 Sainsburys
    £4 Farmfoods
    So that's £85 gone :eek: (rounded up for the moment) with £35 remaining for the month. However, I am trying to bulk up my store cupboards so that future months will be much cheaper as I will have ingredients available.

I made lemon muffins for the first time yesterday, not bad for a first attempt but I want them to turn out like Greggs/Starbucks Lemon Muffins :(

So for the rest of the month it will be more store cupboard supplies and just fruit/veg/milk per week as cheaply as possible!

I need to get this down to £50-80 per month asap so any tips would be appreciated!
    HSBC Unsecured Loan current total £11,921, Amazon Credit Card £355 (will be cleared in March 2009)
    Challenges 2009: Overpay mortgage by £9.00 per month at least, Save £30 per month, Win: 1. Nice Laptop 2. Nintendo DS 3. Holiday to New York or San Francisco, 10p/20p Challenge
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CherryPie wrote: »
    I have some frozen spinach portions, and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for what to do with it? :confused:
    You could put some in a haddock mornay (haddock in cheese sauce) or make a spinach and ricotta canelloni ?
    Originally Posted by kezlou viewpost.gif
    Some people atart they budgets slighty earlier than others depending on when they have been paid. I'm doing mine from 1st - 31 March while some are doing it from 25th Feb - 23rd March.
    Hope that clears some confusion up, that confused me last month, as this is only my second month of taking part.
    I am on an annual budget so just post on whatever months challenge it is! I am not counting each individual month totals, just a running annual one. I also managed to create a 54 week year :o the way I added a bit of last Dec on and the way it ends too, to avoid bank holiday shopping dates etc.
    Ok, back still bad bad bad :confused: so cooking to help take my mind off it. So far made some chicken stock with yesterdays bones and off to make some short pastry to make pies from some mince/onions/carrots/peas that were in freezer. May also make a weetabix cake too. Had chicken and sweetcorn sarnies with a little of LO chicken breast too.
    NSD as not going out today.
    Welcome all newbies.
    :wave:
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    CherryPie wrote: »

Hi CherryPie - what about Tuna Lasagne, just thought of that as it's on my Menu plan for tomorrow, you only need a couple of Portions of Spinach for that.

rachelmk - congratulations on your happy news.:T

OrkneyStar - sorry to hear your Back is still causing you pain, how are the Tonsils now? I know how bad that can be as I used to suffer for years until I had mine removed 18 months ago.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure