February 2009 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    scotsaver wrote: »
    elizabunny - I'm watching the Jamie Oliver programme today but had already decided that once the Freezers are starting to empty, any meat that we need now I will buy from the Butchers. I did post a message on Page 4 yesterday, looking for anyone who can pass on any tips about shopping at a Butchers?:confused:

I think alot more people will be trying to do this. I am really looking forward to seeing what's available locally.

On a similar subject, I was thinking about trying to get hold of a mincer my DM used to use one but it has long since gone, unfortunatelyicon9.gif. You just clamped it onto the table, popped your meat in and turned the handle. Great fun! However, does anyone have any idea what cut of beef I would need to buy for this? as I don't have a clue:confused:. I'm a bit worried about what goes into mince and have long thought about doing this. I have even thought of a sausage maker for the same reason, but that looks a whole lot more technical:eek: .

Any ideas on this anyone? -I would be most grateful:T
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Elizabunny

I have an electric mincer/sausage maker and it reall isn't complicated ;) So much so that my mum made some skinless ones on Monday and then ordered the electric one from lakeland (they also do a hand mincer-but mum would never manage that with her arthritis ;) ) and she used it yesterday :T -she is 69 and as she admits not very good with "technical" stuff :rotfl:
    The sausages I make have no rusk, bread or fillers -so just meat and they are great :j .... I only get my machine out every couple of months or so and make a couple of big batches of different ones(saves washing up :p ) ...but it has earnt its keep over and over :D
    Although if you don't want a mincer just pick the cuts of meat you want from your butcher and ask him to mince it for you -less work -and you still know whats in it :D

Im off to the NAAFI tomorrow on a whoopsy hunt :D ..I have broken into this months money as I spotted andrex loo rolls @ €2.99 for 16 -so grabbed 4 lots :rotfl: ..should last a while ;) . Oh and 10 kilo of potatoes for 1.99 :T
    oh and more veggie seeds :o on @ 10 packs for€1.50 -but that comes out of a seperate budget

Dinner tonight is special fried rice -at hubbies request -so I get to use up lots of odds n sods :T
    I made a cream of spinach and goats cheese soup in the remoska the other day , it was lovely so I have 2 big tubs in the freezer for hubbies flask ...

right I will get on and do some knitting..have a great day everyone :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Hi. Can I come in again please? Would like to put us down for £350.00 again. Not got much in the freezer but as my month runs from 1st to 28th February its a short month so should be fine. Except OH is 40 :eek: so I'll be cooking him something special on his birthday. It would be cool to come in under budget.
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • nickynoo08
    nickynoo08 Posts: 1,860
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hiya everyone i'm busy planning my first shop for feb and as ever i'm trying to think of ways i can cut costs. One thing i was looking at was longlife milk. I've never tried it before and would like to know your thoughts on it. My thinking behind changing to this is that we currently spend around £11 a week on milk or 10% of my monthly gc money, i've looked at costs and it is certainly cheaper than buying fresh. Also i'm what you would call an impulse buyer. Its a habit i'm trying hard to break and most of the time i'm really good, but it always tends to be when i'm just popping out for milk when i spend a blummin fortune. So what i'm hoping is that by have the milk in i wont need to pop to the shops for milk therfore saving me picking up any impulse buys. It may seem a bit extreme but if its gonna save me money.....
    £387.39/£196.46
    Pay my debt by End of Feb 2022
    49.28% paid!

£199.55/£500 savings by End of April 2022
    39.91% saved!

Make £2022 in 2022 - £20
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Elizabunny

I have an electric mincer/sausage maker and it reall isn't complicated ;) So much so that my mum made some skinless ones on Monday and then ordered the electric one from lakeland (they also do a hand mincer-but mum would never manage that with her arthritis ;) ) and she used it yesterday :T -she is 69 and as she admits not very good with "technical" stuff :rotfl:
    The sausages I make have no rusk, bread or fillers -so just meat and they are great :j .... I only get my machine out every couple of months or so and make a couple of big batches of different ones(saves washing up :p ) ...but it has earnt its keep over and over :D
    Although if you don't want a mincer just pick the cuts of meat you want from your butcher and ask him to mince it for you -less work -and you still know whats in it :D

Thank you so much MRSM:T I'll have a look at lakeland now and see what they've got. I really love the idea of knowing what's in your mince and sausages and thanks for the tip about getting the butcher to mince a cut for me -I could do this until I get my own.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • only £1.30 spent on loaf of bread yesterday so still under and only a day to go.
    MAY NSD's

• russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    After watching Jamie saves our bacon i decided to investigate the pork in my fridge and freezer.Apart from a pile of Walls sausages(whoopsied) everything was red tractor.I had to buy bacon for the weekend and British bacon was 2 for £4 in Mr T so should be easy to keep to supporting our pig farmers.By the way weren't those piglets adorable?
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    As promised here is the Tuna Lasagne recipe:-

TUNA LASAGNE

1 tin of Tuna
    1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
    Prawns (I used a small tub of fresh from Lidl but you could use a couple of handfuls of Frozen and leave them to thaw)
    2 Handfuls Spinach
    2 Handfuls of Sweetcorn
    Few splashes of Lemon Juice
    Lasagne Sheets
    Salt & Pepper

Cheese sauce made with 1oz Butter, 1oz Flour, half pint of milk and 4oz Cheddar

Wash the Spinach and tear into pieces, place in a bowl. Drain the tin of tuna and add to the bowl together with the prawns,tomatoes,sweetcorn, lemon juice and then season with salt and pepper. Make the cheese sauce. Put some of the Tuna mix in the bottom of a Lasagne dish and layer alternately until you have used all the mix ending with Lasagne sheets then our over the Cheese sauce. Cook at 180 degrees for 30 - 40 mins.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Hollysan
    Hollysan Posts: 136 Forumite
    Mrs M., please put me down for £400 this month. I will be going to the wholefood warehouse next week, so even though this is a short month, this is realistic!

Good luck to everyone, especially the newbies.

Hollysan
    MFiT-T4 #63
    Mortgage £78,000/£67,690.73
  • Hi everyone

I've not posted for Jan yet, as DG is visiting for the weekend and I need to get yogs and maybe bread.

I'm staying with £250 for Feb. I know it's a short month, but my freezer is being run down ready for refilling, and we have three!! family b'days :eek:
    Dor
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport