PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    rachelmk wrote: »
    Morning all!
    Am quite chipper today as I got proposed to on the weekend and said YES!!!:j :j :j

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
    :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T :T
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Morning all

congratulations Rachel what great news
    I have had Mr Ts monthly delievery and been to Aldis and Farm foods so plenty in now just need bread milk fruit and veg to top up over month so looking good at mo no NSD today and should be able to last out till thurs before I need anything
    good luck everyone for Marchs challenge
    Frugal challenge 2024

• kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    TheBees wrote: »
    Scotsaver - Just wanted to ask how you cook the whole chicken in the slow cooker? Do you season it or brown it at all? Do you just put it straight in the slow cooker or do you add any water? How long do you cook it for?

Hope you don't mind me replying. I put my chicken in the slow cooker for about 8hrs on low. You can veg but you don't have, i normally don't. When the chicken is cooked, i then strip the meat off it completely. Drain any fat / juices off the chicken into a container. Put the carcass, bones skin any bits not edible back into the slow cooker add a pint of winter on low for about two or three hours. Then strain the stock / carcass through a sieve, till all the juices / stock are out. Then either freeze the stock or use in cooking as is. Then dump the carcass and inedible bits in the bin.
    I make a quite a few meals out of this.

Rachel MK: -congratulations!!
  • spotdogkez
    spotdogkez Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

This is my first time on the Grocery Challenge. We normally spend £200 (£50 each week) for myself, DH, DS x 2 (8 and 4). Would like to get this down so will for my first attempt will try £180 please.
    Me, DH, DS10 and DS6
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning 2 days in and just did a spend of £2.08. :( Tried not to spend this early in the month but we needed milk and I have been poorly so craved some Knorr chicken noodle soup like I used to have when I was a kid and cos we are out at the footie again one night this week I got a pasta in sauce (non value) for early dinner.Treated myself to a tin of value rice pud too. Comfort food cos I have a rotten cold.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • kezlou
    Options
    Sorry for posting again darn pc went off grrr.
    Well just spent £4.09 at the grocers
    fresh spinach bunch x 2 for £1.10 (used to 3 for a £1)
    fresh coriander bunch 2 for £1.10 (used to 3 for a £1)
    single cream 89p (didn't have any large tubs so only got a small elmlea one)
    Large cucumber £1

Had a NSD yesterday as i had budgeted for my youngest sons party in the feb budget, made all the food myself, only paid for some food at the outdoor centre because of a certain friend messing me about grrrr.

Now just sat around waiting for the potato man to deliver my spuds and onion.
    Then off to a meeting at ten past three.

Good luck to everyone on the March Challenge.

:j only just noticed i've gain a star whoo hooo!
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do some people do this non calendar month as I just read a post that says 6 days in? ???
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • kezlou
    Options
    Some people atart they budgets slighty earlier than others depending on when they have been paid. I'm doing mine from 1st - 31 March while some are doing it from 25th Feb - 23rd March.
    Hope that clears some confusion up, that confused me last month, as this is only my second month of taking part.
  • fatcattaff
    fatcattaff Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Quick post for March. I'm on for a £320 budget again this month, but will have to be much more careful as I went over in Feb and that was a quiet one! In my defence, I had playdates all through half term at my house, so probably doubled my purchases of pizza, pasta and sweets for that week. Not so easy to defend is the blouse I purchased from Tescos last week...even if it was just £6 :)

Good luck all.
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March £320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
  • fatcattaff
    fatcattaff Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Just updating siggie...forgot about it last time.
    Drop half a stone for January challenge.
    Grocery Challenge March £320/
    Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. (Thank you Mr Roosevelt)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure