🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

refund problem

Options

Comments

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    juno wrote:
    I read that as "off display but would work" like you can buy ex-display freezers and things
    Yeah me too.

Sorry, Twice :(
    Bulletproof
  • Leothecat
    Leothecat Posts: 1,492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry but I think your listing is extremely misleading. No where do you state that this is not an actual working mobile phone. Yes, you have stated that it is a display phone but lets face it, if you buy an ex display dishwasher or washing machine, it is a working model. Lets be honest, it is clear from the price that the bidders thought this was a working phone.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heres the proper link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9100550547

Sorry but I've just read that through twice and I can see why the buyer got confused. It's not entirely clear is it? It looks as if you have listed a working display mobile phone without any accessories, box or instructions rather than a dummy phone which does not work.

Someone else might have other thoughts but I think you are the one in the wrong here and you should give a full refund.
    Just watch out too the buyer doesnt report you to ebay.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry OP have to agree with the others. I think your wording let you down. Had you said "Not working, dummy phone" then that would have been fine but it was a bit misleading to say "ex-display". Personally I think *most* people would know that display mobile phones are dummies but obviously not everyone does.
  • slobbery
    slobbery Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    Just looked at the listing, and personally I wouldn't have known that this was a non-working phone. To me it reads that the phone has been used for display purposes but nowhere does it say it is a dummy phone.
    If it were my auction I would refund and relist as I don't think you would win a chargeback or dispute with ebay.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    shelly wrote:
    Sorry OP have to agree with the others. I think your wording let you down. Had you said "Not working, dummy phone" then that would have been fine but it was a bit misleading to say "ex-display". Personally I think *most* people would know that display mobile phones are dummies but obviously not everyone does.
    It has changed though, and quite often they're real! It's normally the "better" phones, but if you ever go round bluejacking a fun thing to do is take a photo on your phone of someone using the display phone, and then send it to that phone via bluetooth!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• twice
    twice Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    It has changed though, and quite often they're real! It's normally the "better" phones, but if you ever go round bluejacking a fun thing to do is take a photo on your phone of someone using the display phone, and then send it to that phone via bluetooth!

aye
  • LULUBELLE_2
    LULUBELLE_2 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the others - mentioning an 'Orange' simlock was a tad naughty and if they read that description with 'Orange' and 'used' they can be forgiven for thinking it was real. You don't really think that the buyer would have paid £67 if they'd known it was a dummy, do you? :rolleyes:
    I only exist in my own mind - if you can see, hear or read me, you are a product of my imagination.
  • HugoRune_2
    HugoRune_2 Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    Options
    twice wrote:
    hi i've got a problem i'm hoping someone can give me some advise on i recently listed a dummy mobile phone like the ones you see in phone shops on the end of cables in the listing i said i don't accept returns or give refunds as it is a display only phone now someone bought it paid for it then emailed me saying as its not a real phone he know longer wants it (i haven't sent it to him yet he's read the listing) so i decided to offer a refund even tho i said i would'nt but i also said i would take out all the ebay and paypal fees first but he said thats not fair and he will be taking legal action now i want to know where i stand is it his own fault for not reading the listing or is it mine for not making it clearer any help would be great thanks

Totally misleading advert, offer a full refund and an apology, if you are a decent ebayer
    Aha, so thats how you do a signature!
  • twice
    twice Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    very true and if i had seen the auction towards the end i would of tried to stop it i know it looks like i was trying to get as much cash as possible but i wasn't when i bought the phone about 4/5 months ago thats how it was listed i've only added the thanks for looking and the bit about paypal only the original listing also said it had a simlock on it this is the only reason i listed it how i did
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport