refund problem

Options
hi i've got a problem i'm hoping someone can give me some advise on i recently listed a dummy mobile phone like the ones you see in phone shops on the end of cables in the listing i said i don't accept returns or give refunds as it is a display only phone now someone bought it paid for it then emailed me saying as its not a real phone he know longer wants it (i haven't sent it to him yet he's read the listing) so i decided to offer a refund even tho i said i would'nt but i also said i would take out all the ebay and paypal fees first but he said thats not fair and he will be taking legal action now i want to know where i stand is it his own fault for not reading the listing or is it mine for not making it clearer any help would be great thanks

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you make it clear? Why would anyone want a dummy phone?
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • twice
    twice Posts: 130 Forumite
    Options
    yes i think so i worded it

i don't accept returns or give refunds as it is a display only phone

i think thats clear enough and people buy them for kids as toys sure people buy them for other things but would'nt know what.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    Options
    I would give a refund minus the fees! After all you havent sent the item out yet but the person has got the winning bid!

Does a dummy phone sell for parts? The person should have read the listing!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • twice
    Options
    well i was going to give a refund and not take any fees but when he sent me an email threatening legal action and telling me he would get his money back that way it was only then i clicked that he was the one in the wrong i know if i'm looking for someting on ebay i always read the listing right through
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can you post the item no so we can see how clear it was? Personally though I believe that people should read listsings more thoroughly than they do and not complain when they spot something they missed the first time. I'd do a refund minus any fees and when the buyer threatens legal action then remind them that a winning bid is a binding contract so you will see them in court :D
  • black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes I think we need to see the item listing to advise any further.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • twice
    Options
    9100550547 theres the item number have a look and tell me what you think
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I read that as "off display but would work" like you can buy ex-display freezers and things
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• black-saturn
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heres the proper link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9100550547

Sorry but I've just read that through twice and I can see why the buyer got confused. It's not entirely clear is it? It looks as if you have listed a working display mobile phone without any accessories, box or instructions rather than a dummy phone which does not work.

Someone else might have other thoughts but I think you are the one in the wrong here and you should give a full refund.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,314 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking at the auction I would assume I was getting an ex display, as in real but used, phone. You even have a simlock shown, a plastic dummy would not be simlocked! It is also listed as a phone and in the phone section.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure