Forum Home» Shop but don't drop

The Great 'Wine Tart' Hunt - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

The Great 'Wine Tart' Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
87 replies 60.3K views

Replies

• Forget saving 50p on a bottle of Hardy's. WINE RACK (THRESHERS) are doing 3 for 2 on all their wines - you get the cheapest bottle free - saving up to 33% - so you can buy 3 bottles of £40 a bottle wine for £80 saving £40. This is the best deal i have ever seen.
  • Try Sainsbury's 25% off all new world wines with a further 5% if you buy 6 bottles. I paid £18 for 6 bottles of californian wine which would have cost me £27 at Asda. Don't know how long it will last.
  • twarner wrote:
    Quite a few special offers from the 27th Feb. at Lidl.
    Example, South African Pinotage £2.24, (excellent)
    Chilean Pedre Jimenez £2.24
    Bordeaux Rose £2.99
    Rose D'Anjou £2.49

See in store leaflets for full list.

Well worth a box or two, I reckon.

Terry

A bottle of Barolo 2001 for £8.99 from Lidl - not very cheap but it is a very nice wine which makes it very good value for money!
  • alivett wrote:
    Forget saving 50p on a bottle of Hardy's. WINE RACK (THRESHERS) are doing 3 for 2 on all their wines - you get the cheapest bottle free - saving up to 33% - so you can buy 3 bottles of £40 a bottle wine for £80 saving £40. This is the best deal i have ever seen.

Alivett be careful with the Thresher deal, as it isn't quite as good as it seems. In order to do the buy 2 get 1 free Thresher has massively inflated the individual bottle price. So Campo Viejo Reserva Rioja for example is £9.99 a bottle in Thresher but £7.99 at any other retailer.Of course the deal price does work out quite well still as long as you buy 3 the same (currently £6.66, Buy 6 from Tesco at the mo and they work out at £6.38).

If it makes the picture a little clearer Threshers are really sturggling at the moment, they have 2000 shops and Wine Cellar who have 100 shops just tried to buy them for £100 million less than the present owner paid for them in 2000. It might sound like a great deal but it isn't working
  • Bit frantic at work so no time to check all threads, so hope not repeating. Very delicious Banfi Brunello di Montalcino for £15 or thereabouts in Tesco - normal price £20 plus per bottle. Plus their normal 5% off if you buy 6 bottles or more.
    Not like we drink tons of £20 wine, but this is something special and well worth a purchase at that price.
    HTH
    Jules M
  • CAHACAHA Forumite
    45 posts
    orielensis wrote:
    As mentioned the new world selection in French supermarkets is non existent - with good reason as the only branches that would sell any are the ones with British customers as French people generally wouldn't consider buying a non French let alone non European wine.

The problem with French supermarkets is that there is a massive selection of wines which most people (myself included) know very little, and no product tasting or advice. On the face of it they all seem very similar - for instance in Carrefour there is about 50 Bordeaux AOC at about 5 Euros. They do not list their products and they are liable to change at any moment.

The best way around this is to go as a group of buyers (as opposed to family/friends) and buy a load of sample bottles. Go and try them somewhere and come back and make informed purchases. Alternatively the guide Hachette is about 25 Euros and describes many of these wines, but be warned its only frequently issued in French.

One tip I was given a few years ago was to stand and watch what the locals buy...it works...we also ask the staff who always have an opinion and they have never been wrong...so far. Have just returned with some rather superb Cotes du Rhone at less than 4 euros a bottle...only problem is we only bought a box of 12...!
    Regards

Chris
  • tee_pee_2tee_pee_2 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I went to Netto the other day and bought red wine for a punch £1.59 i think. I expected to be vile but it was actually quite nice. Baron somenthing it is called. Sorry can't quite remember it's name, but worth a go for under £2.
  • As a wine lover I find all the above most interesting and given me lots of data to research. My all time favorite is a red by McGuigan, The Black label from Eastern Australia which I can buy at just under a fiver a bottle in cases of 12 at a local wine store.

Can anyone better the price, it really is good and well worth the money but I am always looking for a bargain.

Cheers Des,

I will just go and check a bottle to make sure I have not changed my mind.
  • Tee_Pee wrote:
    I went to Netto the other day and bought red wine for a punch £1.59 i think. I expected to be vile but it was actually quite nice. Baron somenthing it is called. Sorry can't quite remember it's name, but worth a go for under £2.

Was available in Aldi. Baron St John or St Jean I think. Very pleasant though.

Terry
  • howalshhowalsh Forumite
    396 posts
    Rule of thumb - go for the variety of grape rather than brand (E&J etc far more expensive).
    My views are irrelevant - censorship is alive & well!