The Great 'Wine Tart' Hunt

Options

Comments

• zackariah_2
    Options
    A agree withthe smegster.

For those in London & the South surely the answer is to go to France for the day with a big car! All these horrible numbers then change.

Drinkable vin de table eg Costieres de Nimes starts at £1

Avoid the big corporates and go a a friendly wine merchant such as calais vins
    http://www.calais-vins.com/

Have a big lunch too as there are so friendly restatuaranteurs in Calais region who realise their business depends on English daytrippers.
  • pdoff
    pdoff Posts: 2,908 Forumite
    Options
    as u all seem to know what u r talking about maybe u could help me - i need to get some wine for my son's christening at the end of march. as i don't drink it (only like the cheap stuff that tastes like pop!!) i was after some advice on what to buy that is reasonably priced but tastes ok - some red & some white so people have a choice. there will be about 100 people but am on limited budget so they will only be able to have a glass each - how many bottles do u think i will need? is it best to go to the supermarkets or do smaller shops do bulk deals? thanks in advance for any help u can give me!
    Cleaning the house while children are growing is like shovelling snow when it's still snowing!
  • Joto_2
    Joto_2 Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Options
    pdoff wrote:
    as u all seem to know what u r talking about maybe u could help me - i need to get some wine for my son's christening at the end of march. as i don't drink it (only like the cheap stuff that tastes like pop!!) i was after some advice on what to buy that is reasonably priced but tastes ok - some red & some white so people have a choice. there will be about 100 people but am on limited budget so they will only be able to have a glass each - how many bottles do u think i will need? is it best to go to the supermarkets or do smaller shops do bulk deals? thanks in advance for any help u can give me!

Don't forget a lot of the off licences and supermarkets do sale and return and free glass hire.
    Look after the pennies and the £££s will look after themselves
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    pdoff wrote:
    - i need to get some wine for my son's christening at the end of march. i was after some advice on what to buy that is reasonably priced but tastes ok - some red & some white so people have a choice. there will be about 100 people but am on limited budget so they will only be able to have a glass each - how many bottles do u think i will need?
    If you are on a tight budget, go to your preferred Supermarket and speak to the manager of the wine department and ask him for advice. Tell him you want the lowest cost wine but it has to be acceptable to your guests. On average if you serve the standard wine glass, you will get around 6 glasses to the bottle. So for 100 guests you will need a minimum of 17 bottles. However you might find that more people will want red than white or vice versa so get in say 6 bottles each of red and white more than you need. As pointed out by Joto you can get everything on sale or return and free hire of glasses if needed. So you are talking about 29 (say 30 bottles of wine. Then hopefully you will be able to return 10 or so of these afterwards.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • pdoff
    Options
    thanks, didn't know about sale or return. we have nearly every supermarket there is nearby so i might phone round a few first.
    Cleaning the house while children are growing is like shovelling snow when it's still snowing!
  • pdoff
    Options
    ooh just noticed that was my 500th post!!
  • smegster_2
    Options
    Pdoff, if you want to buy a couple of great wines for very little then get on to Tesco's website and go to their wine store. As they have 20% off everything there are a couple of great bargains (but not as many as you may think). The two I would reccomend are Frontera Sauvignon Blanc equivalent to £2.79 btl (a seriously crisp and fresh white which has an easy drinkability and all round appeal) and Cono Sur Pinot Noir (not too heavy but plenty of flavour and great with food) equivalent to £3.03. Both wines are made by Concha y Toro who rarely put a foot wrong when it comes to quality. I'm not sure if these wine offers are available in store or if they were whether you would get sale or return and the deal price, but at these prices you may as well drink whatever is left over, it shouldn't take you long. In terms of quantity 12 bottles of each should be enough as this gives you 144 glasses, and I'm sure that 100 people has a few kids in it.

P.S.Both these wines are under the Chilean section.
  • emujuice
    Options
    in addition to the 20% off there are a couple of discount codes knocking around for tescos. one for £10 off and free delivery - buy any 12 bottles. one for £15 off, and you can select delivery after the 6th of march for free, but you need to spend over £50 for that one. details and other tesco picks on the grabbit board, vouchers on the vouchers board
  • z1000000
    Options
    There's some good info here!

I've used Laithwaits and the Sunday Times club before and been very happy with the quality and price of their wine. I may have to join again.
    I've also been to France and can recommend Majestic France. And the supermarkets have some great deals if you keep your eyes peeled.
    I've just ordered 30 bottles of plonk from Tesco's, a case of the Cono Sur recommended on this thread, and 18 bottles or a mixd Spanish red deal they are doing. They have 20% off some wines this week. It's free delivery as the order is for over 99.00, and then 15 pounds off using a voucher from Tesco Wine Club.
    So 2.48 a bottle, less 1% using Greasy Palm, and something for using my cashback card. I'm happy!
  • emujuice
    Options
    or 3% from quidco :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills