OU Students Past, Present and Future

Options

Comments

• Sasha101
    Sasha101 Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2013 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Evening All :D

I've had an email already from Student Finance to say they have received my online application and will contact me asap. I gave my passport details online so the status just says 'laughing at your photo, will let you know soon'
    I spoke to a friend at work today (she's the one who inspired me to look into OU learning which led me to this thread) she has 300 credits so far and told me 'only 8 months to go!' I am really pleased for her and she was excited for me when I told her I'd applied too.
    I have to confess I have contacted OU a second time, this time by email as I couldn't face telephone to change my course path once again :eek: I have never been so indecisive as this! I feel an absolute prat honestly! Celyn I have just read that you work for the OU, good god I hope you don't have to deal with the paperwork from all my changes. You'll think 'oh yeah this is that prat from mse!' :rotfl:
    The trouble is I have found the variety of courses on offer from the OU Business School a tad overwhelming. I'm like a kid at the sweet shop; I want to do them all! All of them sound great but many have the same modules that I would choose to do so take very similiar routes.
    However after a long chat with my friend I have decided to go for the one course that will hopefully enhance my career now and further my professional development for the future. BA (Hons) Business Studies with accounting - and that's my final answer :D
  • ladyinneed
    Options
    Hellooooo!
    Can join your little group please.
    I am a current student studying B64 BSc (Hons) Nat Sci.

So far I've completed and passed thankfully:
    S104 Exploring Science
    S151 Maths for Science
    S155 Scientific Investigations
    S177 Galaxies, Stars and Planets
    S154 Science Starts Here.
    SK185 Molecules, Medicines and Drugs
    Y162 Starting With Maths

Currently studying:
    S250 Science in Context (Finish Oct 2013)

Enrolled:
    S207 The Physical World (Oct 2013)
    SXP288 Practical Physical compulsory course (Feb 2014)

The level three choices elude me at the minute as I don't feel my maths or physics is strong enough but under the transitional arrangements can't fit any more in at level two :mad:
  • nande2000
    nande2000 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've registered on the BA Hons Humanities degree (Philosophy and History pathway). Though my plan is to do AA100 this year then A105 next year. As I understand it these are multidisciplinary courses that contain all the humanities subjects so I can get a feel for what I enjoy most before moving to level 2 and making my final degree choice. I've got two science degrees from my younger days from red brick units. Looking forward to returning to learning for learning sake.
  • Sasha101
    Options
    Afternoon everyone :j

I received a phonecall today from the OU regarding my latest email to change my course a third time :o

I can't remember whether she said her name was Jade or Jane but she chatted with me for about ten minutes asking what my job was, why I had considered the qualifications I had and what I hoped to gain from it. It was lovely and very reassuring to have someone to talk through the different modules.

I decided on the Q70 BA Hons Business Studies with Accounting pathway as planned and apologised for messing them about. She told me not to worry as she had had students at level 3 stage calling up asking to change course because they fancied a different subject.

Hopefully Student Finance shouldn't be too long now.
  • cambermam
    cambermam Posts: 787 Forumite
    Options
    Sasha101 wrote: »
    However after a long chat with my friend I have decided to go for the one course that will hopefully enhance my career now and further my professional development for the future. BA (Hons) Business Studies with accounting - and that's my final answer :D

I'm doing the same degree. About halfway there, just finished B203. We don't get many free choice modules so make the most of the ones we get!
    Internet earnings:
    Swagbucks - £748
    InstaGC -£73
    Nielsen Mobile - £70
    Mobile Trends - £19.50
    iPoll - £15
  • Sasha101
    Options
    Well done you Cambermam :T so you'll know all the answers then :rotfl: Just out of interest what level 1 modules did you choose? I know I won't do B122 as I'm not interested in retail (been there done that, never going back!) I would choose BU130 but not sure of LB160 v MU123.

Anyone got experience of MU123 Discovering mathematics?

I'm getting excited now and I feel like treating myself to a new pencil case for the start of term :D
  • littlepinkstars44
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm starting sk277 Human Biology in October, never done anything through the OU before so I'm really excited about it and also not really too sure what to expect.
  • cambermam
    Options
    Sasha101 wrote: »
    Well done you Cambermam :T so you'll know all the answers then :rotfl: Just out of interest what level 1 modules did you choose? I know I won't do B122 as I'm not interested in retail (been there done that, never going back!) I would choose BU130 but not sure of LB160 v MU123.

Anyone got experience of MU123 Discovering mathematics?

I'm getting excited now and I feel like treating myself to a new pencil case for the start of term :D

Lol I don't remember anything once a course has finished not sure how i'll get through the next few :D.

I was originally going to do a computer degree so i did a now discontinued 30 pointer (T175) to start with (this one became a free choice).

Then changed my mind and went for business so did B120 and DB123 (both compulsory, both really good courses especially DB123 I loved that one).

B190 is the bookkeeping 10 pointer which we need to do, that was good too and i managed to score 80% despite not doing anything on it til the last few weeks. You can do it over 12 weeks or 24 depending on how fast you want to get it done.

Then i chose LB160 for my remaining free choice, very easy marks but very boring, I wish i'd gone for the maths one instead.

Just remember level 1 is literally pass or fail, they don't count towards degree classification. I missed some TMAs out because i 'could' even though i wish i'd managed my time better and done them all for extra marks (for pride purposes really).

It'll end up that you get 130 level 1 points because of B190, i think there is a level 1 20 pointer though, (DB124?) but i didn't know about that one when i was choosing so you could check if it counts.

If you're on facebook there's always groups being setup for your specific module/start date and some of them can be invaluable for support and a place to moan.
    Internet earnings:
    Swagbucks - £748
    InstaGC -£73
    Nielsen Mobile - £70
    Mobile Trends - £19.50
    iPoll - £15
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    camberman - if u enjoyed DB123, they do a level 2, DB234, its a really good course, 30 point no exam, - I did the 1st presentation of it, apparently its changed since then (bit easier) you go more into the business side of the financial market, rather than personal with DB123 x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • cambermam
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    camberman - if u enjoyed DB123, they do a level 2, DB234, its a really good course, 30 point no exam, - I did the 1st presentation of it, apparently its changed since then (bit easier) you go more into the business side of the financial market, rather than personal with DB123 x
    I love the idea of that but the Business & Accounting degree doesn't allow for any free choice level 2 which is a shame :( I get financial support so would have to pay for that one myself, will see if i get withdrawal symptoms at the end as people always say they do :p
    Internet earnings:
    Swagbucks - £748
    InstaGC -£73
    Nielsen Mobile - £70
    Mobile Trends - £19.50
    iPoll - £15
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income