Great Cheap Ways To Make Your House Safer Hunt

Options

Comments

• shilling
    Options
    reknaw wrote:

Timers are £3 at IKEA. Go buy!

But they break very very quickly, so beware! Not the first electrical thing from Ikea that I have had stop working!
  • skeggysteve
    Options
    My boss has 2 tv's on timers, loads of lights on timers and leaves cup & plates around the house.
    The big problem, and the one we take the **** out of him for, is that if he was at home there would be no cup & plates laying around!

Seriously thou' in answer to all the people saying get an alarm connected to a response centre who will call the police. Don't bother.
    A while ago a neighbours alarm was going off - neighbour is about 500 yards away. Called 999 as I knew they were away.
    Police response "Is there any sign of a break in?"
    Me "Don't know"
    Police "Well it's our policy not to attend an alarm unless there is a sign of a break in - were to busy, don't have enough officers etc. etc."
    Me " OK I'll go and look BUT I'll take my shot gun with me"
    I then put the phone down in disgust.
    Within 5 minutes 2 police cars arrived!

Moral of the story - don't rely on the police - secure yourself.
  • George_Bray
    Options
    Smiley_Mum wrote:
    Looks like you can pick them (sound bombs ) up pretty cheap, certainly worth a look

At 111db these sound bombs are far too weak in my opinion. You might experience greater sound pressure levels down the disco or at a rock concert. Does anyone know if it's legal (with a warning sign) to make and use your own DIY sounder, if they can't be bought, hopefully to produce dangerously high levels like 150db? As long as there's no false alarms while you're at home!

Regards
    George
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    At 111db these sound bombs are far too weak in my opinion. You might experience greater sound pressure levels down the disco or at a rock concert.

But that's not the point. As I said in my posting above, the object is to render the burglar deaf to the sound of approaching people, not deaf full stop.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • calmgirl
    calmgirl Posts: 604 Forumite
    Options
    Just a wierd one have 2- 3 locks fitted to your door and always leave one unlocked if the thief picks them he will always have at least one locked ( you can buy some that you have to twist either clockwise or anticlockwise to open)

As others have said dont put any glass or spikes on a garden wall as you WILL BE SUED. also the anti thief paint is becoming a leagal nightmare due to the permenance of it (kids designer clothes after getting a ball out of your garden when your not there) when you have new goods tear the box up and put in a bin dont use your new 52" tv box to put the rubbish in. dont leave windows open on double glazing use the breather strips at top of window to vent the room when your not in. AS for the alarm dont fit it where the bloke suggets ie under the stairs as that is the most common place a good kick can take it of the wall and render it usless try fitting it in a kitchen cupboard.
    Money's too tight to mention!!!
  • For about £70 you can buy a dailer that will ring three numbers you program in to it and play a pre recorded message. Can not be used to dial 999 !

If you think that no one will take notice of your alarm worth the £70 to either get home quick if in area or get a neighbour around. Should be availble from any alarm wholesaler.
  • scootermacc
    Options
    gromituk wrote:
    You shouldn't fit PIR detectors where they can be seen from outside, because then they can also be set off from outside by passing pedestrians, etc.

This isn't true. PIR's effectiveness gets blocked by glass. General advice is to place them in a room so they cover possible entry routes such as doors and windows. Just don't point them at things like fires or radiators where the heat can set them off.

As a comparison, if you have Infra Red sensitive glasses (reactalight types) which go darker in sunlight, they don't work inside your car - you need to wear sunglasses anyway! Same principal.

To prove this, I have a wireless PIR inside my car which I park outside the house and arm when I set my alarm system at night. Much better than any car alarm!!!
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • scootermacc
    Options
    swood75729 wrote:
    I have put a pir up but spiders keep setting it off, so i end up not setting it. I have though of a contact thingy on the door but there are glass windows down one side which would be the obvious entry point. I thought of putting vibration sensors on the windows but the company i bought the system from don't sell them and i can't find any other ones compatible with my system anywhere.

You won't find compatible sensors from another manufacturer because generally they use their own encryption software so that there is no interference between different alarm systems.

You can get 'break glass' sensors from some manufacturers that operate on the sound frequencies associated with breaking glass, rather than vibration - may be worth asking about that, although I don't think Response make such a thing.

The spider problem is one of the fallabilities of Passive Infra Red (PIR) movement detectors. There may be a way you can turn down the sensitivity of the sensor but it still may not solve the problem - again try this by asking Response?

Worth fitting a door contact anyway - you could fit one on your window too of course. Anyone breaking in *may* set that off if they smash the frame too. Only other thing I'd suggest is to use coach bolts and wire mesh to put a cage over the window - that way they're more likely to try the door rather than a simple smash and grab, and of course the door is alarmed!!!

A tip: use silicone sealant to waterproof PIR and door contacts in sheds as they are susceptable to weather damage and aren;t usually designed for outside use (the fact your shed's not heated will be a problem).
  • scootermacc
    Options
    Moral of the story - don't rely on the police - secure yourself.

Sadly this is an all too common situation. It appears to be a bit of a postcode lottery. That said, if you do call the police and there IS evidence of a break-in or someone in the property, you can bet they'll be round like a shot. Don't lie though just to get them round - then you'll be in deep doo-doo.

You can't blame the police for acting in this manner though as over 90% of burglar alarms are false alarms! Thats a lot of wasted resources...

Your advice to secure yourself is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family