Great Cheap Ways To Make Your House Safer Hunt

Options

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I will reiterate what has been said about locking the door when you are in - bag went inc. mobile, car AND house keys purse cheque book and cards conveniently - 20th December - and I know others to whom this has happened - and maybe it's about time car boot sales were stopped - if people bought from LEGITIMATE (but cheap, obviously) businesses/people and stopped buying (even unwittingly) nicked stuff ... ah well, I can dream!
    Seriously - the open the door and grab what's near it brigade are out there and thriving - make sure you're not the target. You can get an alarm which triggers when the door is opened. (the contact, maintained when the door is closed, triggers when broken).
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    Car boot sales? Most of it goes on eBay nowadays.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
  • jsg_2
    jsg_2 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I work as a journalist and always hear from police about overnight break ins; where people's car keys have been taken and the car then stolen. I always take my handbag, with my keys to my bedroom. Some burglars will come into bedrooms, but it is less likely.
    Also I was told burglars don't like windowsills with lots of bottles and glasses on them - as it can make quite a crash when they break in. I balance my empty wine bottles and jam jars against my kitchen window (which is the most vulnerable) and put the mops and brooms leaning against the back door. If you have a cat flap, make sure anything you leave against the door won't help a burglar break in.
  • Robert5686
    Robert5686 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    My brother was burgled last week while asleep. Needless to say no alarm. He will be installing alarm over next few days. Till its up and running he is leaving saucepan lids on chairs, tied to lengths of string and attached to door handles. When intruder opens doors the strings pull on the saucepans.There will be an almighty clanging commotion with pans falling on floor tiles. I would have thought thats cheaper than any alarm!!! Surely burglar wont carry on in case of more booby traps.
  • clearvisor
    clearvisor Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    :T
    Becles wrote:
    I had a problem with children climbing over the 6 foot back fence to retrieve balls, rather than coming round and knocking on the door to ask for it back. I was worried in case they hurt themselves, and I was annoyed with damage to plants and my garden bench as they were climbing on that to get back over.

I bought some anti-vandal paint which only cost a few pounds. I painted that on the top of the fence. It stays sticky like tar, so will make a right mess on them if they climb over. After a couple of sticky fingers cases, the problem was solved.

Becles ,can you tell me where you purchased the paint please? as I need someplus I made the kids get their parents to come and get the ball, that stopped them.lol
    thanks,clearvisor
  • gromituk
    Options
    Try putting "anti-vandal paint" into google.co.uk and going to the first result.
  • clearvisor
    clearvisor Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    save-a-lot wrote:
    Hi

I have been looking around on this subject and I have found some good general advice...

curteousy of here - http://www.senatetraining.co.uk/burglary+reduction.html - a snippet of an article about reduction of burgulary

I have marked the common sense and cheap points in red

Phil

Has anyone got my idea, buy the ring screw about an inch in size, a two foot piece of chain, You need to screw it onto a fence post away from your own garden fence,or to the wall which wont be used to gain quick access over to your garden .thread the chain threw it ,turn your wheelie bin handles back to back and padlock the chain to both handles,
    Are you aware they are used to climb over fences or walls, and also to transport stolen goods in.
  • kittiwoz
    kittiwoz Posts: 1,321 Forumite
    Options
    Valli wrote:
    I will reiterate what has been said about locking the door when you are in - bag went inc. mobile, car AND house keys purse cheque book and cards conveniently - 20th December - and I know others to whom this has happened - and maybe it's about time car boot sales were stopped - if people bought from LEGITIMATE (but cheap, obviously) businesses/people and stopped buying (even unwittingly) nicked stuff ... ah well, I can dream!

Most of the stuff sold at car boot sales is not nicked. An awful lot of it isn't worth nicking. It is just people's old junk that they don't want anymore. Certainly no one is going to have fenced your keys, purse, cheque book and cards at a car boot sale. Your mobile was probably sold to a mate or a guy in the street or the pub. Antique and collectable stuff gets fenced to antique dealers through markets. You could fence cds, computer games and electricals at a car boot sale but it wouldn't be a good idea because you'd have to have it all out on display. Plus if you were into that kind of thing you'd probably someone who makes a habit of it but if you had a regular pitch it would make you pretty easy to trace. I'm not saying people don't sell stolen goods at car boot sales. I know it happens but the vast majority of stuff sold is not stolen.

Complaining about people buying second hand goods is totaly unfair. Why the hell should I waste money and contribute to the creation of more rubbish in disposing of goods and exploitation the environment in production of new goods just because some goods sold as secondhand are stolen? That's like saying no one should have any building work done because it creates a market which can be exploited by unscrupulous cowboy builders. The proportion of people selling second-hand goods who are LEGITIMATE is probably greater than the proportion of builders and I'd stake money on it being greater than the proprotion of double glazing salespeople.
  • fez_2
    fez_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I'm hoping MSE Martin could take this up with someone as I think the charges are excessive, like the bank charges.

I was robbed first by an unknown thief a few days ago then today I was robbed again when I received a bill for £118.97 from a Boarding service company who the police had called.

Call out charge (midweek, midday) £48.50

Labour and travelling time £43 per hour

Material (1 sheet of 8 x 4 boarding) £18.50

Fixings (about 10 screws) £2

VAT @ 17.5%
  • gromituk
    Options
    I don't think that's unreasonable really. Materials are certainly the going rate. I presume they arrived swiftly - you are paying for having people at the ready to respond to call-out requests, so you have to pay for some amount of idle time. Ring around to compare prices, but I doubt you'll find the same level of service for much cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure