Great Cheap Ways To Make Your House Safer Hunt

Comments

• ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have a look at Current Specials at Lidl:
    http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060209.index

They currently have loads of cheap security devices.
  • save-a-lot
    save-a-lot Posts: 2,809 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi

I have a good quality shed, so breaking into it would not be too easy, it had one flaw that I noticed straight away - so I did something about it.

The hinges are on the outside and screwed from the outside, this means a burgular with a screwdriver could take the door off easily.

This is not my shed, but is an illustration of what I mean
    shed.jpg

I removed one screw from each hinge and drilled through and replaced with a round headed bolt that fastens on the inside of the shed with a nut.

Worth doing

Phil
  • chumfatty wrote:
    Thats a very common misconception George, most Burglars respond to a audible alarms, as they don't know if its linked up to a control centre. In my experience burglars spend less time in alarmed houses than in unprotected homes, thus they steal less.
    Chumfatty

I'm not sure I understand the points you're trying to make. But if a loud (real) bell is all that matters, to help repel burglars from the house, then why spend money on a highly visible bell box on the outside of the house, as part of that real system? If function is all that matters, then the alarm bell could be tucked away anywhere. I still reckon a highly visible dummy alarm box is 99% as much of a deterrent for a small fraction of the cost.

Regards
    George
  • Art_2
    Art_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    I had a visit from our Crime Reduction Officer today to look at a problem with youths climbing and damaging a garden fence.

He recommend the best 2 deterents are:

1. Plant some quick growing thorny bushes or trees along the fence.

2. Paint the fence with anti-vandal paint. The paint never dries and remains tacky all the time making a mess of clothing and anyone touching it.

Regards,
    Art.
  • I'm not sure I understand the points you're trying to make. But if a loud (real) bell is all that matters, to help repel burglars from the house, then why spend money on a highly visible bell box on the outside of the house, as part of that real system? If function is all that matters, then the alarm bell could be tucked away anywhere. I still reckon a highly visible dummy alarm box is 99% as much of a deterrent for a small fraction of the cost.

Regards
    George

You are absolutely right that a visible bell is a very good deterrent, any overt use of security is, but it doesn't deter all burglars. If your house is broken into and no alarms sounds then they have the run of your house, and all the time they need take what they want. You can guarantee that with alarm bell ringing they will be in and out as quickly as possible.

If you cannot afford a full system then by all means have a dummy box on the wall. Just don't expect it to deter every would-be burglar.

Good luck

Chumfatty
  • chumfatty wrote:
    You are absolutely right that a visible bell is a very good deterrent, any overt use of security is, but it doesn't deter all burglars. If your house is broken into and no alarms sounds then they have the run of your house, and all the time they need take what they want. You can guarantee that with alarm bell ringing they will be in and out as quickly as possible. If you cannot afford a full system then by all means have a dummy box on the wall. Just don't expect it to deter every would-be burglar.

OK, I can't argue with your logic above. For (hopefully relatively few) burglars who aren't deterred by the distinct prospect of a real alarm bell sounding, after they've 'appraised' the house from outside, I agree they would be more likely to relax and spend longer prowling around, if no bell is heard after all, as with a dummy alarm box.

Another thought is to install the loudest possible siren INSIDE the house to make it uncomfortable or almost impossible for the intruder to hang around for long, because of the pain caused to his ears. I understand the limit of the normal sounders is about 125db. I wish I knew where I could buy a sounder which produces nearer to 150db or more.

Regards
    George
  • We have an OAP area, and to safe guard us, where we have a 6ft fence passage way,we have placed a one & half inch ring screw into the far side of the fence,(not garden side)Turn the wheelie bin handles together,thread a link chain through the screw ring then padlock your handles together.
    Did you know they aslo use the bins to transport stolen property about.
    If you have loose bricks on your wall remove them otherwise they maybe used for smashing shop windows or yours.
  • You make some good suggestions. I suggest a dummy alarm box is 99% as good as the real thing. After all, if a thief sees the alarm box and breaks in anyway, then what difference will a real bell make? He's already decided it doesn't bother him.

Regards
    George

Thanks George.

I agree with you. A visual deterrent helps. A real siren will help if they do decide to break in, but having the dummy siren is a deterrent when they are deciding which house to attack.

If you have a real siren, its down to your opinion of whether your neighbours will act if your alarm goes off, or ignore it! In some cases neighbours actually view alarm sirens as a nuisance!!! You have to consider whether this is actually doing you any good. If a burglar assumes most people will ignore the noise from a real siren anyway, they may still try to break in.

Thats why I use the BT system at my home - while I chose an external siren, the main control unit INSIDE the house also has a built in siren. Believe me you don't want to be in the room when it goes off! My thought is that any burglar in the room would be so deafened that they would not know whether there was a siren outside anyway! Put up a dummy siren outside and the burglar will think you've got an alarm - and you have!

The main appeal of the BT system for me though is having text messages, emails and phone calls sent to me and my neighbours -these are the people I know WILL deal with the problem for me. It costs me £5 a month, but I consider this good value when you compare to the cost of an alarm system calling a control centre as Chumfatty refers to. Control centres are usually set up to contact the police on your behalf should you have an intruder. This is something you would need a security installer to do for you - there are no DIY options due to regulations for police calling systems.

There are other alarm systems (e.g. Yale) which will call you should your alarm go off. If you are considering something a bit more advanced, this company run the service for BT: https://www.intamac.com - they monitor cameras and alarms, offer guarding services, etc, etc.

HTH.
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
  • roswell wrote:
    Take the door handles off and fit them upside down :-) this way you have to lift them to open the door not push them down.

there was sad item on yesterday's BBC news online, 2 boys died locked in their bedroom. The handle had beenturned upside down. There were clearly other issues going on in this case, but my point being one doesn't want make the house so impenetrable that you got locked in !

Nearlly all our UPVC windows are very and narrow-ish high openers, I even reach them to open the window for fresh air, never mind escape through them in case of fire.
    -
    Katya
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    sorry i hadnt seen that artical at the time of posting,

Another tip for sheds, buy some solder and fill the screw heads with solder or for a few more £`s you can replace them with cluth head screws, Bolt is a billiant option to just remeber to put some big washers / plate behind them to stop the doors being pulled off and the bolts being pulled through the wood.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills